Old Phones -- What To Do With Them?

I rearranged my office and came across a bunch of old phones and tablets. 

Three of the phones have no way of doing a factory reset.  Of these 3 phones, only one had a sim card which I took out and then discarded the phone.  I don't know what to do with the other 2 because I can't erase the personal info on them -- short of taking a hammer to them!

The other two "newer" phones I was able to do a factory reset on as well as one of the tablets.  I haven't been able to find the charge cord on the 2nd tablet, so can't recharge it to do a factory reset on it.

The question now is -- what to do with all of these devices?  I'm sure Verizon doesn't want them back because the devices are so old (the last 2 phone upgrades I've done, I was able to send back the old phone for some $$).

Any suggestions?

(ON EDIT:  I also have a WiFi Ranger I haven't used in a few years.  If anyone would like it and you're in or traveling through the Spokane area, you can have it.)

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

6 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

How old?   Flip phones or smart phones? 

I'm not really sure how old the 2 "newer" phones...older than 4 years, anyway.  They're both smartphones.  One is a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD and the other is  Samsung Galaxy S Relay.

The tablet for which I have the charge cord is an Ellipsis 8.  The other one is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.  Of course, I'm not going to be able to do anything with this latter one unless I can find the charge cord.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

When I get devices from customers, I wipe them and donate them either to a domestic violence shelter, or a facility that helps the homeless get jobs.  Both groups of people need a cheap way to get phone calls.  Both of those organizations give people something like 300 minutes a month so they can get job interviews, talk to police about their situation, and stay in touch with family.

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2019 at 3:37 PM, Carlos said:

When I get devices from customers, I wipe them and donate them either to a domestic violence shelter, or a facility that helps the homeless get jobs.  Both groups of people need a cheap way to get phone calls.  Both of those organizations give people something like 300 minutes a month so they can get job interviews, talk to police about their situation, and stay in touch with family.

+ 911 may be called without a carrier.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Now that would be a neat trick.

Actually, federal law says all of the cell phone carriers have to pass through calls to 911 and other emergency numbers whether or not the calling phone is currently activated.

I have an old deactivated phone in my glove box that was on a different carrier than my primary phone for just that reason, in case I need to call 911 and my primary phone is damaged or I'm in in an area where it's carrier doesn't have coverage.

Edited by Lou Schneider

1 hour ago, Lou Schneider said:

Actually, federal law says all of the cell phone carriers have to pass through calls to 911 and other emergency numbers whether or not the calling phone is currently activated.

I have an old deactivated phone in my glove box that was on a different carrier than my primary phone for just that reason, in case I need to call 911 and my primary phone is damaged or I'm in in an area where it's carrier doesn't have coverage.

That's correct.  However, he said you could call 911 without a carrier.  No way.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

5 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

That's correct.  However, he said you could call 911 without a carrier.  No way.

Obviously some carrier has to handle the call, but the point is that the phone does not need to have an active account with any carrier.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

28 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Obviously some carrier has to handle the call, but the point is that the phone does not need to have an active account with any carrier.

Exactly.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

4 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Yep, my bad, I left out the word active..

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Wow, and I thought I was pedantic about technical details.

All wireless phones and providers in every first world country that I know of are required to process an emergency call using any available signal.  They also get priority on channels and signal strength.  Bear in mind however that right now we are under a massive change of cellular infrastructure here in the US, and older phones may simply not be able to connect to the newer systems at all.  Verizon, for example, is shutting down everything that is not LTE.  So you can't assume that your old flip phone is going to keep working.

That's the major fallicy in the "all phones can call 911" rule. CDMA only phones will not work on GSM networks, for instance. Now with all carriers moving to VOIP/VoLTE services though, it will be less of a problem. There will still be the issue of phones that aren't capable of using the frequency bands on an available tower though. Fortunately, there's enough band overlap among carriers that it shouldn't be a major problem.

Dutch

1 minute ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Fortunately, there's enough band overlap among carriers that it shouldn't be a major problem.

Depends on where you are.  I'm in a place with little overlap, and if you're not on Verizon or AT&T, you can't count on making calls.  If you have an old CDMA phone, you're not getting anything (tried it).  So the important part to remember is that the old "spare emergency phone" is becoming less useful.  I think it's important for people to know this since it's the first time we've done a fast, radical cellular tech change like this in the US.  Verizon plans to have ALL non-LTE service gone by end of year.

Good point Carlos,  we still have DW's old bag phone from AT&T, it's only use is a paperweight or museum piece.

Ray, fire that phone up, wait for it to search for networks (say five minutes), and then dial 611.  Old GSM phones MIGHT still be working, even for some years.  LTE is an enhancement of GSM, basically, while CDMA is now just dead tech.

Hmm, I'm sure I have some ancient GSM phones in my old tech pile...

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Depends on where you are.  I'm in a place with little overlap, and if you're not on Verizon or AT&T, you can't count on making calls.  If you have an old CDMA phone, you're not getting anything (tried it).  So the important part to remember is that the old "spare emergency phone" is becoming less useful.  I think it's important for people to know this since it's the first time we've done a fast, radical cellular tech change like this in the US.  Verizon plans to have ALL non-LTE service gone by end of year.

Yes, the older phones are becoming less and less useful, just as the old bag and other analog phones became useless some years agp. Fortunately, many people upgrade their phones fairly often, and hopefully they're updating their spare with their previous phone at the same time. AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon all have band overlap in many areas, primarily on bands 2, 4, 5 and 66. And many towers have more than one carrier on them as well. Sprint is the only outlier with no overlapping bands in use.

VUlfCOIl.jpg

Dutch

3 hours ago, Carlos said:

Ray, fire that phone up, wait for it to search for networks (say five minutes), and then dial 611.  Old GSM phones MIGHT still be working, even for some years.  LTE is an enhancement of GSM, basically, while CDMA is now just dead tech.

Hmm, I'm sure I have some ancient GSM phones in my old tech pile...

Can't, the 12V SLA battery died long ago. Analog phones will not work on the digital towers. Shoot, even the GM Onstar relay in my 2002 Dually stopped working, GM sent out a recall notice to have a dealer pull the fuse to deactivate it to prevent accidental battery run-down.

On 7/14/2019 at 8:53 PM, Ray,IN said:

this.  place a cell phone someplace with a good charger for said. as they can call 911, by law the phone company's can not lock them out.

can not call aunt sally, but you can call the police

but in this digital age the better analog phones are locked out. as no backward compatible in the system.