Upgrading TT to go on the road for one year

time_traveler

I'm looking to upgrade my TT and truck for our long trip next year.  I would like to take one of my motorcycles with me which I plan to put in the bed of the Diesel Pickup truck I'm going to buy.  The trailers were are interested in are between 33' to 37' total length and GVWR of 8,500 to 9,800lbs.  I plan to use an equalizer sway control hitch.  My question is how will a newer model 3/4 diesel truck due pulling a TT like this?  The reason I'm not going to a 5th wheel is that I want to be able to carry my MC which has a total weight of approx 530 lbs.  I have looked at 5th wheel toy boxes but momma bear doesn't like the toy box layouts.  Another question is it better to get an 8' or 6 3/4' length bed for toying?

I have a 33', 9890# travel trailer that I have towed with both a 2500 and 3500 SRW Duramax diesel truck. Both were/are long bed crew cabs selected for their long wheelbase. This article discusses the relationship between tow vehicle wheelbase and trailer length. I use a Hensley weight distribution/sway control hitch and have never had an uncomfortable moment towing in the 12 years I have had it. This calculator will help you match a truck to the trailer. When I purchased the 3500, one of the reasons was that there was not much of a price difference between the 3500 and the 2500 configured the way I wanted because some standard items on the 3500 were extra on the 2500. The cargo capacity of the 3500 is significantly higher which may be a factor for you carrying a motorcycle in the truck bed.

8 hours ago, time_traveler said:

Another question is it better to get an 8' or 6 3/4' length bed for toying?

Towing and cargo weight capacities have risen dramatically over recent years so that shouldn't be a problem but length could be. Not only does a longer wheelbase give better handling stability but I wonder if you won't need the long box to carry the motorcycle? The short box is only 6 1/2' long and many bikes will not fit into it. The only major negative to the crew cab, long box trucks is their length when it comes to finding a parking place. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If your motorcycle weighs under 600 pounds then I am assuming it is not a large Harley bagger.  You would be fine hauling it in a short bed or long bed.  I would certainly measure it to see if the tailgate in a short bed would have to be down when hauling.  If I were traveling for an extended time I also would make sure I had a good system for loading and unloading my motorcycle from the bed of a pickup.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I would measure the bike front tire to back fender/muffler.  I would want the size for my bike that would allow me to close the tail-gate.  I have a folding ATV ramp I use to load/unload my bike, it has at times scared the crap out of me!  << Understatement!!  Slip just a little backing down, the bike is going on top of you!  I won't use it anymore, if I have to move my bike on/off truck, I find a ramp designed to work with semi-trailers and pay them a couple $$ if they want it.  My best ramp recommendation, find a tractor dealer, they have unloading ramps with an incline on the front to the parking lot, very easy on-off.

Another recommendation, don't cheap out on the straps, I hate seeing a bike fall over because someone used cheap Harbor Freight straps.  Make sure the anchor points in the bed are big/stout enough to handle that weight getting thrown around on rough roads.  I strap front and rear, I haul heavy HDs and ATVs.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

4 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

I would measure the bike front tire to back fender/muffler.  I would want the size for my bike that would allow me to close the tail-gate.  I have a folding ATV ramp I use to load/unload my bike, it has at times scared the crap out of me!  << Understatement!!  Slip just a little backing down, the bike is going on top of you!  I won't use it anymore, if I have to move my bike on/off truck, I find a ramp designed to work with semi-trailers and pay them a couple $$ if they want it.  My best ramp recommendation, find a tractor dealer, they have unloading ramps with an incline on the front to the parking lot, very easy on-off.

Another recommendation, don't cheap out on the straps, I hate seeing a bike fall over because someone used cheap Harbor Freight straps.  Make sure the anchor points in the bed are big/stout enough to handle that weight getting thrown around on rough roads.  I strap front and rear, I haul heavy HDs and ATVs.

Good advice - I have almost 40 years of riding MCs and your are correct about high quality tie downs.  I currently use and 10 foot long and extra wide loading ramp.  But like you said he can be a little hairy unloading.  I try to find a sloped area to make it easier.  When I buy the 3/4 ton truck I will get an even bigger ramp