Big Trucks Draw Big Rodents

Radar274

We just got back from being on the road for 2 weeks which put us way behind on chores.......So plugged the truck and trailer in and left it outside the barn.   While mowing I noticed a Woodchuck run out from underneath the truck and into the tree line (where is the gun when you need it).  A few days passed and as I am walking towards the truck and I see Mr. Woodchuck we have eye contact and freeze.........he starts running towards the truck and disappears.  I quickly open the hood to see if he is in there.......he's not but I now can see he has been eating the Heat shield foal and foam on the hood.  It's time to get the truck in before he does some real damage!  The next day I fire up the truck, pull around to the barn and start backing in.....when out from under the front runs a big brown rodent.  After getting the truck into the barn I started looking to see if he had done any further damage, I opened the skirt under the passenger door and found he had eaten the wires to the inlet Nox sensor.

0QTwNPDl.jpg

Then Came:

zTkcLdol.jpg

Dam* Woodchuck where was the Gun when I needed it.

The rest of the story to follow

Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Big problem in Arizona. While there over the winter for a few months, my neighbor with a class C developed a pack rat problem. Vehicle wouldn’t start, ate the water lines. Brought to the engine compartment, Cactus, dog shit, and rocks. Played like hell catching it. I took the charge in helping her catch the sob. Finally succeeded. They are destructive.

1 hour ago, jkoenig24 said:

Ouch! I hope you get the little bugger before he does any more damage.

Lesson number 1 It was all my fault....Should have had him twice while in the tractor......... But as my neighbors said............ what half A** farmer doesn't have a gun in the tractor.........that would be ME.  I found the den and wish I could use a conibear trap but have to many cats and dogs around so must use live trap.

Edited by Radar274

Bob&Kay

3 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

You’re going to need a big gun to put that Volvo out of its misery! 😳

That poor Volvo (Lucy) suffered and suffered for days.  It is Monday 4:07 pm. and Lucy needs to be pressed into service on Thursday for a short 500 mile trip for the DW.  I am lucky enough to have a friend that manages a large flee of trucks and most of them are Volvo's......so after work he stopped by to take a look.  He said Nox sensors are finicky you probably should replace it...... crimping the wires together or soldering might work but down the road your asking for trouble.  So I removed the sensor and headed down to Volvo for a replacement.  Hang on to your Knickers..... they aren't cheap but I have been told that the aftermarket sensors have a 30% failure rate.  I handed over the old sensor to the parts man and told him the story about Mr Woodchuck... we have a very expensive laugh as he rang up the sale!   Get home put the sensor in..... easy peazy 2 bolts and 1 zip tie.  I cleaned the Def doser and replaced the the doser gasket as well.  Next I turn the key and start her up.....I here the beep and up pops the scr derate message.  Now what? Texted my friend who stops by with generic Volvo software.  He couldn't get it to clear the codes to do a park regen, so we decided I would stop by his work at lunch time on Wednesday and he would clear the codes with the official Volvo software and do a regen.  Wednesday I get into the truck, start it up, here the Beep and see the SCR Derate in <20minutes message, bummer it's 30minutes to his shop. Luckily I have a code reader that temporarily clears the codes.  I get to his shop he clears the codes and does a regen. After the regen the codes reappear so we decide the only way to get it fixed by tomorrow morning is by going to Volvo.  I get to Volvo, they say that they might be able to fit it that tonight if I leave it.  As I am waiting for a ride home the service manager comes out, plugs in with his computer and say's which sensor did you replace the inlet or outlet Nox?  He said lets take a look......that's the wrong Nox sensor he says.  By the time I get to the parts department the correct sensor is sitting on the counter.  I replace the Sensor in the parking lot (old school) and all is Good😎. So What lessons have I learned

Lesson #1 Be prepared.... Tractor needs a minimum of a 22 mag.

Lesson #2 Make sure you check that the part numbers match up even though they look the same.

Lesson #3 Be prepared..... Carry a Code Reader that clears active codes in your truck.

Love these trucks Always learning Bob

Edited by Radar274

Bob&Kay

1 hour ago, Moresmoke said:

If you know where the den is, get some smoke bombs and a shovel.

That sounds like fun!  Now that's revenge!  I hate to admit it but.... I did corner a Woodchuck in the barn with a pitch fork and lost..  They are aggressive little bastards.

Bob 

Bob&Kay

I've terminated a LOT of groundhogs, using anything from a .222 to my work boots.  Several with a hammer or 12" adjustable.  But mostly with a common ol' .22.

If the den is away from buildings, pour some water down a hole, then follow it with a couple quarts of gasoline.  Go to the other hole and throw in something like lit corn cobs soaked in diesel fuel.  The burning material will pull the fumes through and then "WOOF".  Shovel the holes shut.....

BUT, it's still spring.  You may get lucky and have a den full of pups.  They're pretty good if prepared properly. 😉

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 1:18 PM, Radar274 said:

That poor Volvo (Lucy) suffered and suffered for days.  It is Monday 4:07 pm. and Lucy needs to be pressed into service on Thursday for a short 500 mile trip for the DW.  I am lucky enough to have a friend that manages a large flee of trucks and most of them are Volvo's......so after work he stopped by to take a look.  He said Nox sensors are finicky you probably should replace it...... crimping the wires together or soldering might work but down the road your asking for trouble.  So I removed the sensor and headed down to Volvo for a replacement.  Hang on to your Knickers..... they aren't cheap but I have been told that the aftermarket sensors have a 30% failure rate.  I handed over the old sensor to the parts man and told him the story about Mr Woodchuck... we have a very expensive laugh as he rang up the sale!   Get home put the sensor in..... easy peazy 2 bolts and 1 zip tie.  I cleaned the Def doser and replaced the the doser gasket as well.  Next I turn the key and start her up.....I here the beep and up pops the scr derate message.  Now what? Texted my friend who stops by with generic Volvo software.  He couldn't get it to clear the codes to do a park regen, so we decided I would stop by his work at lunch time on Wednesday and he would clear the codes with the official Volvo software and do a regen.  Wednesday I get into the truck, start it up, here the Beep and see the SCR Derate in <20minutes message, bummer it's 30minutes to his shop. Luckily I have a code reader that temporarily clears the codes.  I get to his shop he clears the codes and does a regen. After the regen the codes reappear so we decide the only way to get it fixed by tomorrow morning is by going to Volvo.  I get to Volvo, they say that they might be able to fit it that tonight if I leave it.  As I am waiting for a ride home the service manager comes out, plugs in with his computer and say's which sensor did you replace the inlet or outlet Nox?  He said lets take a look......that's the wrong Nox sensor he says.  By the time I get to the parts department the correct sensor is sitting on the counter.  I replace the Sensor in the parking lot (old school) and all is Good😎. So What lessons have I learned

Lesson #1 Be prepared.... Tractor needs a minimum of a 22 mag.

Lesson #2 Make sure you check that the part numbers match up even though they look the same.

Lesson #3 Be prepared..... Carry a Code Reader that clears active codes in your truck.

Love these trucks Always learning Bob

What is a source for one of these code readers?

A friend of mine is the service manager for a nationwide fleet, every truck has a launch CR-HD scanner in it.  They can clear codes and get them back to the shop for repairs.  I paid about $120 for mine off of ebay.  The following link is what we use www.launchtechusa.com/crhd/

Bob

Bob&Kay

14 hours ago, Radar274 said:

A friend of mine is the service manager for a nationwide fleet, every truck has a launch CR-HD scanner in it.  They can clear codes and get them back to the shop for repairs.  I paid about $120 for mine off of ebay.  The following link is what we use www.launchtechusa.com/crhd/

Bob

Hi Bob,

I hope you can get your truck back up and running the way that it use to be. You always wonder way these rodents like to chew on wires.

Thank you for you help on some of my past projects.
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Just slightly off topic, but "animal damage" is usually covered under the comp part of ins policies. Read yours, if the damage shorts out the ECM or whatever, you may want to use it.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

4 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Bob,

I hope you can get your truck back up and running the way that it use to be. You always wonder way these rodents like to chew on wires.

Thank you for you help on some of my past projects.
Al

Al,

We replaced the inlet nox sensor which came with a new harness and all seem to be running fine.  We have been on a rampage........ 4 WoodChucks, 1 Racoon and of course 1 Skunk, Pee-Yoo.

Bob

Bob&Kay

4 hours ago, ARGO said:

Just slightly off topic, but "animal damage" is usually covered under the comp part of ins policies. Read yours, if the damage shorts out the ECM or whatever, you may want to use it.

Argo

Thanks for the advise.  Our Insurance might have cover it but our deductible is $1000 and the part was $500.

Bob

Bob&Kay

Point being, that sometimes a short will cause multi-thousand $ damage found after initial repairs were completed. Save EVERYTHING until you know you are 100% fixed, in case of an escalation.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........