Adding Lights for Interior Steps

Hi Everyone,

I asked the following question on the Redwood Owners Group site and only had one reply. The trailer is a 2019 Redwood 5th wheel. I am asking the same question here with the hope of more input.

I would like to add small lights for the interior steps. My other trailer had them and I used them all the time. The step lights made a great night light. Here are my questions. Is all the lighting in a 2019 trailer work off of 12v ? I don't want to make the wrong assumption when it comes to the voltage.

Has anyone added extra lighting to their trailer ? Where did you tap into to get the power ? Does anyone know the name brand of the light switches ? All ideas are welcomed.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

12 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Is all the lighting in a 2019 trailer work off of 12v ?

It would be a very rare thing if you have any 120V lighting. If the lights work when no outside power is available, they must be 12V. 

15 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Has anyone added extra lighting to their trailer ? Where did you tap into to get the power ? Does anyone know the name brand of the light switches ?

I have added lights on more than one occasion. If you use 12v lights to add you just go to the nearest light switch or you could run a new wire from the 12V fuse panel as I have done both. The most difficult part is getting the wire through walls or into places where it does not show. RVs are wired before the interior is installed so there are places that you just can't get wires through. Let me suggest that before you get too far you should take time to read The 12V Side of Life by Mark Nemeth.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

29 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

It would be a very rare thing if you have any 120V lighting. If the lights work when no outside power is available, they must be 12V. 

I have added lights on more than one occasion. If you use 12v lights to add you just go to the nearest light switch or you could run a new wire from the 12V fuse panel as I have done both. The most difficult part is getting the wire through walls or into places where it does not show. RVs are wired before the interior is installed so there are places that you just can't get wires through. Let me suggest that before you get too far you should take time to read The 12V Side of Life by Mark Nemeth.

Hi Kirk,

Thank you for the suggestion on the read. I will see if it is on Amazon. I can always use extra reference material.

I found the info.

Thanks,
Al

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

My suggestion is go your local RV part store and buy your lights.

I have standard factory installed night lights on the stair and in the bathroom. Replacement  lamps are only available from a Chinese supplier. My light switch is near the Fuse panel wired wired to  lamps from there.

Clay 2016 Mobile Suites

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I used motion sensing battery powered lights in our RV, and the battery lasts "forever" as weekend users.  Full timers might kill them fast, don't know.  No wiring, just put it on the wall and it lights up with motion when it's dark.  Excellent for the step and hall for those midnight bathroom runs.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:34 PM, Carlos said:

I used motion sensing battery powered lights in our RV, and the battery lasts "forever" as weekend users.  Full timers might kill them fast, don't know.  No wiring, just put it on the wall and it lights up with motion when it's dark.  Excellent for the step and hall for those midnight bathroom runs.

X2! I bought a battery-powered LED motion detection light for the steps (5) into our last 5er, the batteries would last a year for our half-timing use. I used double-sided tape to attach it to the inside of the door. When the door was opened in darkness, it detected motion and lit all 5 steps. When the door was closed it detected motion and lit the 4 steps to the bedroom and bathroom.

Our MH has these 12V courtesy lights for the steps into the MH, one under the kitchen cabinets to light the floor area, one in bedroom for the same purpose.https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-LED-12V-Courtesy-Lights-RV-Caravan-Trailer-Boat-Marine-Onboard-Accent-Lighting/272207842751?hash=item3f60da0dbf:g:BWUAAOSwVCRZccHj&vxp=mtr

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961