2012 Ford Explorer wiring question

Chefitutide

I have a 2012 ford explorer xlt without the OEM tow package.  I have an Apex Hybrid trailer with 7 pin connection.  My RV dealer installed a Tekonsha 118540 from the ford harness and from that adapted a 7 pin.  All the pins work except for the 12v running lights.  I was told I might need a special adapter from the tail lights or battery to get this to work.  

Some helpfull people have suggested the Curt C56093.  But that only gives me the 4 pin.  I need the 7 pin.

Is anyone familiar with how this is done?

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

Are you saying that the 7 pin plug on your trailer fits the 7 pin socket on your truck and all except the running lights are working? Have you tested to be sure that everything else is working? Since there are no unused pins in that style of plug it sounds like something other than an adapter. Here is how it should be wired.

1948-chevy-truck-wiring-diagram-3100-pic

If you do not have an electrical meter you can check for all of the proper power with a simple 12V test probe from any auto parts store or from Walmart.

81zdgxgS1WL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Are you saying that the 7 pin plug on your trailer fits the 7 pin socket on your truck and all except the running lights are working? Have you tested to be sure that everything else is working? Since there are no unused pins in that style of plug it sounds like something other than an adapter. Here is how it should be wired

Correct.  Everything except for the running lights(pin 3 in your diag) work.  Backup, 12volt charge, blinkers, brakes and stop lights all work.

According to my RV dealer, they would most likely have to adapt something off the tail lights of my car,  but suggest against it, since the wires and I quote "are too thin to carry the voltage needed for your trailer".   He said he could try,  but advised looking into running a line directly from the battery.   Ford advised against running to the battery because it will screw up the "Battery Maintenance controller(BMC)"

So im stuck at this point.  The people over at ETrailer suggested I could get a power module/converter off the tail light harness,  but I can't seem to find one that will convert to 7 pin.

1 hour ago, Chefitutide said:

Everything except for the running lights(pin 3 in your diag) work.  Backup, 12volt charge, blinkers, brakes and stop lights all work.

I have 2 vehicles today that came with the 7 pin plug installed as part of the towing package. They are a 2003 Dodge truck and a 2009 Kia Borrego and both of them have power to the running lights in that plug. I am very sure that your Ford has it there also, or did when it was built. Have you verified that the problem is in the Explorer and not the RV? 

2 hours ago, Sehc said:

The wires would be "too thin" for the amperes if used for the general trailer 12 volt charging.

The pin that he is asking about only supplies the vehicle running lights and turns on and off with the tow vehicle headlights/parking lights. Pin #4 is the one that supplies 12V to the trailer batteries.

Edited by Kirk W