Repair Tape?

I saw a sales video on Rescue Tape (self-fusing silicon) that looked good.  I was also looking at the Gorilla Waterproof and Seal Tape.   We haven't been impressed by the other Gorilla products that we bought yet reviews for that were better than for the Rescue Tape.  Has anyone used either of these?  If not, do you keep something else on hand in this category?  We are looking for just something multi-purpose to carry in the vehicle.  When it comes to patches, we have excellent results with Tear-Aid which comes in different types depending on what needs repair.

Cathy

Rescue Tape and Gorilla Tape are good where you may want to remove it for a more permanent or better looking repair in the future.  Eternabond tape  is just that.  You'd better be happy with your first try because once it's down, it ain't coming off!

Edited by Lou Schneider

I used the silicon rescue tape to fix a cracked APS pipe fitting.  It was way  easier to fix that way than cutting out and replacing the fitting due to it's location under the underbelly.  That was 6 year ago.  Great stuff.  

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I have used Rescue Tape to temporarily patch a radiator hose, yes-like their pictures. That temporary radiator hose patch on my farm tractor worked so well, it's still there after 3 years. Etenabond could reliably withstand the heat, pressure, and associated grease and oil typical on a farm tractor. When used as intended, Rescue Tape is unequaled IMO.

Rescue Tape cannot be used on a flat surface(patch an awning) like adhesive tape, as it only adheres to itself. I agree, Gorilla Tape is over-rated, used it once, gave the rest of the roll away. If you want a tape that will securely hold something together without breaking, check out Nylon or Fiberglass re-enforced packing tape.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

Just used rescue tape on pump fitting that was leaking at my sticks and bricks.  Works well. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

There are multi-purposes products, but there are no ALL-purpose products.  Silicone self-fusing tape has a few uses, "duct" tape types like Gorilla have another, and I also like Fiber-Fix for some things.  The latter is a hard, water-cure strip that ends up like fiberglass.  Very stiff and strong, but not useful on a flexible surface or anything flat.  But you can put a shovel handle back together with it.  I also fixed some outdoor chair leg welds with it, holding for three years now.

Several years ago I bought a three-pack of Rescue Tape (red, clear, black) and have used maybe 1/3 of each. When used as designed it works well.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

• 3 months later...
On 6/11/2019 at 12:07 AM, kb0zke said:

Several years ago I bought a three-pack of Rescue Tape (red, clear, black) and have used maybe 1/3 of each. When used as designed it works well.

Twice that. I keep it in the bike and the RV, and certainly I would buy more (even though it did not perform too well on my house plumbing). Had a leakage in our home in march, used 2 rolls and wrapped it twice, pipe still leaked. Effectively fixed a garden hose though.

Not all those who wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien