How breakable are breakables?

TherapyBound

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

It must have been some of the new Corelle. The old stuff bounces but the new stuff, if it lands on it's edge, shatters. The process in making it changed several years ago. That's why I think your best source is looking for "vintage" on eBay.

Linda

We picked up a couple of extra big bowls in the old pattern at a flea market down in TX.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

10 hours ago, SnowGypsy said:

We had Corelle come out of the cupboard of our motorhome.  It did not bounce, it broke into hundreds of tiny sharp pieces that couldn't be vacuumed off the carpet, but had to be individually  picked up.  I don't think we ever got every piece up over the time we owned it.  So, if you use it, secure your cabinet doors.  Only 1 piece fell, but in a thousand, or so it seemed pieces.

This also happened to us but a number of dishes fell on the tile floor.  The broken pieces flew everywhere and many were in the carpet. Even though it has been years we still occasionally find little pieces. We still use Corelle but we STRAP the cupboard closed.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Corelle, heavy duty paper plates, and china can survive in a cabinet just stacked.  But, most important, is real glass for bourbon.  A 10 oz rambler can work if the park event is too long and it's too far to go back to the site for refills.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

Yes. Corella will break. So will my favorite wine and whiskey glass. But Corella will bounce more often than the wine glass. :)

My knickers are in a twist. I'm going out back to straighten them. It is time to clean the van.

• 3 months later...

I know this is kind of an old thread, but has anyone thought of using these sort of storage containers (not necessarily these exact ones) to keep things in place in the cupboards?  We were thinking of using Corelle in our travel trailer (and yes, it certainly breaks on tile, but I've had even the newer stuff survive carpet and linoleum - but it isn't invincible).   I was actually thinking I could put Velcro on the bottom of the container and the cupboard so they wouldn't shift.

China storage

Thoughts?

Edited by Alice

Alice...

Weekender with a F-150 and Rockwood 2503S - until this happens:

event.png

15 minutes ago, Alice said:

has anyone thought of using these sort of storage containers (not necessarily these exact ones) to keep things in place in the cupboards?

I would hate the fiddly part of getting things out and putting them away.

I Googled "dish storage pegs" and found something I would more likely use by placing pegs to keep stacks from bumping into each other.

But our Corelle always stacked just fine and the stacks stayed in place by putting a grip-type shelf liner below the entire stack.

For space saving purposes we use a 2-tier turntable with plates on the top tier and smaller dishes on the lower tier.

Linda

Edited by sandsys
adding turntable comment

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I would hate the fiddly part of getting things out and putting them away.

I Googled "dish storage pegs" and found something I would more likely use by placing pegs to keep stacks from bumping into each other.

But our Corelle always stacked just fine and the stacks stayed in place by putting a grip-type shelf liner below the entire stack.

For space saving purposes we use a 2-tier turntable with plates on the top tier and smaller dishes on the lower tier.

I figured I could take the cardboard out and just squash the quilted side down to get out a dish.  The pegs are neat, but I'd think they'd work better in a drawer.  We're going to have to put our dishes in the cabinet above the sink/stove area.  Being part-timers, we won't have a ton of stuff up there and I'm just afraid they'll slide/jump all over.  Missouri roads are, shall we say, less than smooth. LOL  But I suppose I could be over-thinking it. 

That cup-holder looks like it would be good for those bourbon glasses someone was so worried about though. :)

Alice...

event.png

Our Corelle road beautifully.  Line your cabinets with the shelf liner such as slip stop. It comes in a roll.  I agree with Linda that the link you provided would be cumbersome for the dishes to be used.

If you have extra space in your cabinet put rolls of paper towels, toilet paper or even linens in the cabinet to take up the space.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

My Corelle is so lightweight it almost makes dishwashing pleasurable. I don't have hard tile, so don't worry about dropping any. Any thing that keeps them from clanking together would work to protect them. Your containers would be bomb proof, and not that much hassle to remove and repack.

• 2 months later...

We actually decided to go with just some of our Corelle from home this past summer. Got some of that thick, grippy shelf liner and cut small pieces to go between plates and bowls.  Also, got some fabric boxes from the dollar store and our more breakable items go in there.  Altogether,  they are working well. 

Alice...

event.png

We have carpeting on the floor our cabinets,  I just stacked the Corelle and never put anything between them.  The coach rides fairly level and the doors stay closed.  I do put vertical bars up in the cabinets before we start so that things that might have shifted don't come flying out at me when I first open the cabinet after travel - one of those lessoned learned.   Most of the time what will move are the light plastic bowls that we use - more of a shocked coming at me than anything else.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

4 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

We have carpeting on the floor our cabinets,  I just stacked the Corelle and never put anything between them.  The coach rides fairly level and the doors stay closed.

Our situation is pretty much the same.  Our MH has brass latches that I keep adjusted so its highly unlikely that doors will fly open.  We use porcelain china dinnerware because high-fired chins is just like glass.  It is very resistant to chipping and breakage.  In 9 years of full-timing the only pieces that have broken were those that fell out when we had a door latch failure.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We have been down some rough roads in our TT and have never had anything break inside a cabinet and we do not use any sort of padding. We had a problem with some doors popping open but I installed new magnetic latches when we got home.

Still have to fix the rocking chairs turning over problem. I don't want to screw them down so I'll have to come up with something other than that. I have several ideas percolating around in my head, one will rise to the surface soon...heh.

Back when we owned a 40' 5er, we were surprised by a "frost Heave" in Canada. A kitchen cabinet door opened and almost all of the Corellware fell out onto the marble countertop. It did not break, it EXPLODED!, all over the main portion of the 5er. We cleaned up glass shards as much as we could, vacuumed the carpet at every overnight stop. When we finally returned home 10,000 miles later, we had the carpet professionally cleaned and had notified the cleaner prior to making the appt.

That Corelleware was DW's from 1983, the 3' drop from the cabinet to the  marble countertop was more than enough to destroy her set of Corellware.

We are readying for Florida, and DW is packing a new set of Corellware in the MH.🏳️:unsure:

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 11/15/2019 at 2:36 PM, Big Rick said:

Actually three rights make a left!  😱

LOL When my son was young his teacher was so amused when he had to use "right" in a sentence.  He wrote,  "Two wrongs don't make a right,  but three lefts do."

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

Back when we owned a 40' 5er, we were surprised by a "frost Heave" in Canada. A kitchen cabinet door opened and almost all of the Corellware fell out onto the marble countertop. It did not break, it EXPLODED!, all over the main portion of the 5er. We cleaned up glass shards as much as we could, vacuumed the carpet at every overnight stop. When we finally returned home 10,000 miles later, we had the carpet professionally cleaned and had notified the cleaner prior to making the appt.

That Corelleware was DW's from 1983, the 3' drop from the cabinet to the  marble countertop was more than enough to destroy her set of Corellware.

We are readying for Florida, and DW is packing a new set of Corellware in the MH.🏳️:unsure:

We've dropped Corelle on carpet fine, on linoleum fine, but tile...explosion city. 

Alice...

event.png

14 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

We had a similar experience.   Now we use a bungee to make sure the cabinet door remains closed!  Months later we found pieces hidden under the sofa and some small pieces that were under the slide slid out.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift