How breakable are breakables?

TherapyBound

We're beginning the process of downsizing our possessions toward an intended year or two on the road full-time in a Class A gasser, and as I'm thinking about what to keep and what to sell or donate, I'm finding I don't really want to let go of my regular dishes and certain glassware/bar ware in favor of plastic or non-breakables. 

If we have to get a set of, say, Corelle dishes, so be it, but I wondered how many full-timers use non-Corelle type dishes. I assume we'd have to put some sort of buffer between them when we travel, and maybe have a padded case for the stemware, but is it do-able? With normal use, and a few protections, how breakable are breakables when you're in transit, also assuming you could be on dirt roads now and again?

We owned a set of "everyday porcelain" by Villeroy and Boch when we started full-timing and we continue to use it today.  Fired porcelain is much more resistant to chips than is "normal" earthenware.  In fact we've done so well with the china that we augmented it with a set of bone china coffee mugs which we also use every day.  The only pieces we've broken in 8 years were lost when a cabinet latch opened up on a bumpy road. Other than that, we don't cushion the pieces from each other or take any other precautions.

However, we've not had nearly as much luck with drinking glasses and we've succumbed to using plastic for both water and wine.  We do have some stemless wine glasses made from a plastic so thin it's virtually impossible to tell that it isn't glass!  I do carry a "real glass" to drink straight bourbon from; somehow 100+ proof bourbon in plastic cups just didn't hack it! 😄

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2 hours ago, Bigthinkers said:

With normal use, and a few protections, how breakable are breakables when you're in transit, also assuming you could be on dirt roads now and again?

You can buy non-slip pads to place between plates if you want to do that. Some people buy new tube socks and place glassware in them. At liquor stores you can often buy foam carriers, these are good for bottles of oil, vinegar, etc., but you do want to wipe down each bottle before returning it to the carrier after you use it.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We are still using Correlle dishes that we have had for thirty years and I would bet that they will out live us

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Size 

We are still using Correlle dishes that we have had for thirty years and I would bet that they will out live us!

3 hours ago, docj said:

I do carry a "real glass" to drink straight bourbon from; somehow 100+ proof bourbon in plastic cups just didn't hack it! 

Indeed! Our feelings exactly. 😄

We do have some plastic wine glasses we use on the pool deck, but I prefer glass if at all possible (meaning, when it's safe). I think hubby would prefer glass for the occasional bourbon, too. Perhaps we need a combination; two glass, two plastic, and see how it goes. I'm not a fan of buying any more plastic than we already have.

Good to know about the dishes, too. Will leave the good china at the sticks and bricks and take a few of our everyday with us. I have nothing at all against Corell, but would prefer not to buy something I don't really need.

Now...about that hand-blown martini glass....!

We use real dishes, glass stemmed wine glasses, and ceramic mugs. We stack the plates and bowls, just like we did when living in a non-moveable home. We do not put any kind of cushioning or liner between them. We slip each wine glass into a sock, and nestle them fairly snugly into a plastic box, so they can't jostle around much during travel. We put hooks on the wall, and we hang our mugs on them; they sway during travel, but have never fallen off. I stack glass casserole dishes and their lids, and baking pans, but because they are various sizes and shapes and don't stack at neatly, I layer wash cloths between them--which also solves the problem of where to keep extra wash cloths that I seldom use but think I need to have with us.

Coleen Sykora

Escapees Life Member #19747

Workers On Wheels

We didn't put any separating material between our stoneware dishes. 

We went to Goodwill or similar and bought wine & drinking glasses.  We found that looking for a heavier type rather than thin crystal held up very good just by turning them upside down.  Of course, the cabinet can't have empty space so that things can move.  Full-timers rarely have empty space though!  If you do, fill it up with rolls of paper towels.

We traveled bumpy gravel roads all the time without breakage.

Another hint:  after a travel day open your refrigerator very slowly.  Lesson learned.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We use Correlle dishes that we have had for decades.  But we travel with glass glasses and stemmed wine glasses.  We have been on some bumpy roads over 4 years and have not broken one yet. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Terrific! Regular dishes and glassware it is! I'm hoping to take things we already use every day and save on buying anything specifically for a motorhome. I'd rather put the extra money into my various savings envelopes for a washer/dryer, solar panels, lithium ion batteries and new tires. 😉

It all depends on how the fragels are packed. I use fine glassware, it makes happy hour happier. Also heavy antique diner coffee mugs, the coffee just tastes better.  But i have Corelle bowls and plates as they are much lighter on my hands. Yes they are tempered glass, and they bounce.

On 5/17/2019 at 1:05 PM, chirakawa said:

Corelle dishes are glass.

Then you must have some STRONG drinking and wine glasses if they are made out of the same stuff as Corelli.

Corelle is a brand of glassware and dishware. It is made of Vitrelle, a tempered glass product consisting of two types of glass laminated into three layers.

standard glass wear,

The primary difference between crystal vs. glass is that crystal glass contains anywhere from 2–30% minerals (lead or lead-free). The key feature of crystal wine glasses is that the minerals strengthen the material, making it possible to produce durable but thin wine glasses

Can you see the difference?

Kind of like saying my clothes are bullet proof because they are made of synthetic fibers.  And as we know that is far from the truth.

Description

Kevlar is a heat-resistant and strong synthetic fiber, related to other aramids such as Nomex and Technora.

My point is you knew what I and other people that use Corelle meant.

1 hour ago, rynosback said:

Then you must have some STRONG drinking and wine glasses if they are made out of the same stuff as Corelli.

Corelle is a brand of glassware and dishware. It is made of Vitrelle, a tempered glass product consisting of two types of glass laminated into three layers.

standard glass wear,

The primary difference between crystal vs. glass is that crystal glass contains anywhere from 2–30% minerals (lead or lead-free). The key feature of crystal wine glasses is that the minerals strengthen the material, making it possible to produce durable but thin wine glasses

Can you see the difference?

Kind of like saying my clothes are bullet proof because they are made of synthetic fibers.  And as we know that is far from the truth.

Description

Kevlar is a heat-resistant and strong synthetic fiber, related to other aramids such as Nomex and Technora.

My point is you knew what I and other people that use Corelle meant.

No need to get your panties in a wad.  I never said that Corelle is the same as anything.  I simply said that it is glass, which it is.  Seems pretty simple to me.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

My panties are not in a wad.  Your post did not help answer the question that the thread poster asked.  Just not sure why you quoted me saying it is glass? Do you quote people much stating what things are made of? It seems that you wanted to get a reaction, so I reacted with facts. 

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr Seuss

Edited by rynosback

9 hours ago, rynosback said:

My panties are not in a wad.  Your post did not help answer the question that the thread poster asked.  Just not sure why you quoted me saying it is glass? Do you quote people much stating what things are made of? It seems that you wanted to get a reaction, so I reacted with facts. 

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr Seuss

Not sure why you say I quoted you.  I didn't quote anyone, except Dr Seuss.  

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Back to your corners, people! :D You're actually on the same side, so thank you both for your thoughtful replies.

I am now weighing up whether I want to bring along 4 of each of my regular dishes and put the money toward something else (like solar), or purchase the Corelle, which is lighter than my dishes. I hadn't thought of that until this conversation. 

It must be funny to see what newbies have to work through as they're planning something this monumental, when they really have little or no clue what the day-to-day living is like. Wonderful to have such a patient resource as this to ask questions and set one's mind at ease. :)

5 hours ago, Bigthinkers said:

I am now weighing up whether I want to bring along 4 of each of my regular dishes and put the money toward something else (like solar), or purchase the Corelle, which is lighter than my dishes. I hadn't thought of that until this conversation. 

In case you decide to go that way, outlet malls almost always have a Corning store where you can buy Corelle at reduced prices. It's also sold on eBay. The newer stuff is not the same as the older stuff but it still holds up just fine; you just can't put casseroles on the stove top anymore nor cups in the microwave unless you get the vintage ones with the open handles.

Linda

It is all good.  If I feel like I am being poked I just do not sit there and take it. I have now added this member to my ignore list. So there is no need for any more banter. Sorry for the derailing of your thread.

We started with Corelle as our everyday user dishes.  We made a change to a bone china style for about 3 years, and now we're using a 
"Corelle" type of dish but not the brand.  

We also have our glassware, pyrex cookware, some corning dishes Alie likes, and such.  The only breakage we have incurred is self-induced.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Might go with Corelle or Corelle-style dishes to save a little weight for something else. Or maybe not. But maybe.

Save a couple of pounds in weight and put them toward solar or save a few dollars and put them toward solar? 

This is what my brain does when I try to think about the million decisions around transitioning out of a house and into an RV. Usually around 2am. 

Edited by Bigthinkers

We had Corelle come out of the cupboard of our motorhome.  It did not bounce, it broke into hundreds of tiny sharp pieces that couldn't be vacuumed off the carpet, but had to be individually  picked up.  I don't think we ever got every piece up over the time we owned it.  So, if you use it, secure your cabinet doors.  Only 1 piece fell, but in a thousand, or so it seemed pieces.

Cathy

2 hours ago, SnowGypsy said:

We had Corelle come out of the cupboard of our motorhome.  It did not bounce, it broke into hundreds of tiny sharp pieces that couldn't be vacuumed off the carpet, but had to be individually  picked up.  I don't think we ever got every piece up over the time we owned it.  So, if you use it, secure your cabinet doors.  Only 1 piece fell, but in a thousand, or so it seemed pieces.

It must have been some of the new Corelle. The old stuff bounces but the new stuff, if it lands on it's edge, shatters. The process in making it changed several years ago. That's why I think your best source is looking for "vintage" on eBay.

Linda

That's good advice, SnowGypsy and sandysys. My grandmother had Corelle for years, and it just wouldn't die. Probably still as good as new to this day. If we go that route I'll look for an older set.

Really finding there are so many things we're having to weigh up (literally, in some cases). Is it better to buy a newer (but used) rig and hope most of the bugs have been worked out, but not have much money left over to do upgrades, or get a much older rig (better built than the newer ones) and put in a bunch of upgrades. We know there is no one answer to that, but it does seem like so many decisions we're making are like one giant balancing act. 

Fun, and frustrating. (See? More balancing just in that one comment!)