Anyone have experience with DRV 36rssb3

Eric1234

Hi everyone 

My wife and I are on a search for our next fifth wheel. We have been going back and forth on a couple of floor plans. Either the DRV  38rssa and 36rssb3 

my question is for folks that have the 36rssb3. Have you had problems since you must open both bedroom and kitchen slide in order to access the bed or bathroom? 

I like the shorter length of the trailer but am struggling with if the 36rssb3 will be a problem in rest areas, side of freeway etc. 

Thank you for your time 

Eric 

Eric,

Your concerns are the reason we purchased a 38RSSA for our use. The ability to open the fridge, use the bathroom  and get into our bed without opening any slide was the prime consideration for us. Those are also some of the many reasons we got rid of our prior fifth wheel.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I have a 38RSSB3 and love it.  I like the layout over the 38RSSA. The size difference from the 36RSSB3 and 38RSSB3 is really nothing.  We only travel 2-3 hours at a shot.  So we never need to gain access to the fridge or bathroom. The few times we have needed to go, we just pull into a rest stop. Are you planning on full timing?

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

5 hours ago, rynosback said:

I have a 38RSSB3 and love it.  I like the layout over the 38RSSA. The size difference from the 36RSSB3 and 38RSSB3 is really nothing.  We only travel 2-3 hours at a shot.  So we never need to gain access to the fridge or bathroom. The few times we have needed to go, we just pull into a rest stop. Are you planning on full timing?

Hi

No full timing for us. A little about us, we live in the SF Bay Area with family in Southern California. 

I am still working with several years until retirement. So when we travel we put the hammer down and get where we are going. We’ve done 16 hour travel days. With overnight stays at truck stops, Walmart, Cabelas etc. 

I love big pieces of equipment and really liked the DRV Houston but when I take inventory of where we have traveled it will hinder us.

Our current fifth wheel is 36’ and it’s pretty easy to get around. That’s why I would prefer to stay under 40’

plus the weight issue, I am not sure if my F250 can handle that big of a trailer.  Just joking I have an F450. 

thanks everyone for your advice, 

Eric 

Edited by Eric1234

Eric, the pin to rear bumper dimension on the 36RSSb3 is 37-2, the 38RSSA is just under 2 feet longer at 39-1. Like you, we often run 12 to 16 hour days getting to a destination and often stay in rest areas, Walmart's and the like while on the road. Having the ability to use most of the house (including the shower) with the slides in is a big plus vs the additional 2 feet of length. Once you get close to the 37 to 39 foot range, you will be limited to the places you can fit when compared to a 25 foot long travel trailer but the tradeoffs were worth it to us. You just need to determine what is important to you and your family and how you plan of using the rig.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

While I don't have either of the DRV models you are looking at, I do have a 40KSSB4.  One of the things I like about our floor plan is having access to the fridge and bathroom with all the slides in.  This is a must for us and the way we travel.  We also still work full time and sometimes make long runs to get to a destination due to time restrictions.  The only thing we can't access with the slides in is the bedroom.  For us that isn't an issue because I have a sleeper on my HDT tow vehicle if we want to pull off and take a nap somewhere tight (like a rest stop or truck stop). 

I also live in northern CA (I work in Santa Rosa) and am happy to share any information with you about DRV.  We ordered our trailer through Rolling Retreats in Oklahoma (even though we live in CA).  I would highly recommend them as a dealer, especially if you are planning to order a trailer.  They specialize in custom orders and we tweaked quite a few things on our rig during the order process.  It was well worth the drive to OK to pick it up to get the stuff done we did during our order.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

8 hours ago, Eric1234 said:

Hi

No full timing for us. A little about us, we live in the SF Bay Area with family in Southern California. 

I am still working with several years until retirement. So when we travel we put the hammer down and get where we are going. We’ve done 16 hour travel days. With overnight stays at truck stops, Walmart, Cabelas etc. 

I love big pieces of equipment and really liked the DRV Houston but when I take inventory of where we have traveled it will hinder us.

Our current fifth wheel is 36’ and it’s pretty easy to get around. That’s why I would prefer to stay under 40’

plus the weight issue, I am not sure if my F250 can handle that big of a trailer.  Just joking I have an F450. 

thanks everyone for your advice, 

Eric 

I agree with you completely about towing and parking a Houston sized, 3 axle 44’ plus sized rig. It would definitely limit you to where you can stay. I had a brain fart and have a 38RSB3 not a 38RSSB3. Also glad to hear that you were joking about towing with a 250. As some people do... If you like the floor plan on the 36RSSB3 I say go for it. We looked at the RSSA and did not like how the toilet was positioned. It was diagonal in the bathroom. Plus you lost storage as the bed slide is shorter and you lose that closet. We did like how the hall way went to the foot of the bead vs the head.  But this is why DRV offers so many lay outs.  They want to appeal to as many people as possible.  I would also agree buying your rig through Alicia at Rolling Retreats.  They in my opinion are the best DRV dealer out there. Sorry for the mix up.

On another note, we are in visiting LA right now and will be for the month or so.  Then the thought is for us to head up to San Francisco for maybe up to a month.  Any tips for a local on things to do and see? Thanks

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Hi 

if I were coming north from LA I would go along the coast and see Hearst Castle. 

In the Bay Area what comes to mind is: 

San Jose: Winchester Mystery House

San Francisco: fishermen’s wharf, Presidio and Golden Gate Bridge (if you are driving on the bridge  stay on the far right lanes as they are the widest) 

Napa Valley for wine tasting, Rutherford Grill is really good restaurant 

Oakland: Jack London square, Lake Chabot for hiking, Roberts park for hiking and off leash dog trail has an awesome Bay Area view 

Fairfield: Jelly Belly factory tour 

hope this helps 

Eric 

Eric 1234, we have had the RSSA for 2 years now, it is every bit of 39' + from ladder to nose.  We can access the bathroom and the bed, but not the bed room.  Right side fridge opens, but not the left or bottom freezer. Towing at total of 57' combined.  We previously had an 05 36 TK3 for 10 years.  We do not have a problem in having slides open in rest areas, just have to pick right spot.  Second the suggestion to check with RollingRetreats for advice/pricing, but they do not take other than DRV in trades.  Might also check with Sunshine RV in Havasu City, much closer, or RVs4Less in TN.  Whatever, if you order, be sure you get risers installed to clear the 450.  Access to washer/dryer in the RSSA is tight and behind the toilet, not easy to fix if they go bad.

We have had our 2011 36rssb3 with the optional dresser slide for almost 2 years now and haven’t had a problem in rest areas opening both slides. We have even opened 3 of them up a couple times to sit at the table to eat just have to pick the right parking spot.