Replacement aftermarket turbos?

Broncitis

I have a 2000 Volvo VNL 610 with a 12.7L Detroit that we have registered as an RV and use to haul our Early Broncos to various shows and off road events around the country a few times a year.

Last fall I was on a trip and had the thermostats go out and could not get the engine up to temp and was freezing with no heat, so I had to make a pit stop in Pittsburgh to my cousins shop where we got those replaced. While we were removing the air intake duct to access the thermostat manifold, my cousin noticed the impeller blades were a bit chewed up on the leading edges and that the bearings had play allowing it to rub the housing.  So, I have decided to replace it before it fails. 

My question is if anyone has any experiance with the cheap new aftermarket units such as this one from JM Turbo : https://attaturbo.com/TURBOCHARGER/Detroit/detroit-turbo-turbocharger

I have seen prices range from this $319 up to $1500 for various turbos all said to fit my application.  I realize it it likely made in China and may not be a good as an OEM unit, but I guess my thought is that I do not expect or need it to last 500K-1million miles.  We've put 75K on this rig since we got it 16 years ago.  So, with that said, are these good enough and the best value for my purpose so I can use the additional money for other needed repairs and upgrades?

TIA, 
Drew

qd67Uifl.jpg

Edited by Broncitis

'66,'67,'76,'77 Ford Broncos

'00 F-350 CC PSD

'00 Volvo 610, Detroit Series 60 500 HP, Eaton Auto Shift, "Saddlebag" Cycle Hauler

40' Southwest Expressline trailer (2 Broncos)

53' Take 3 Wedge (4 Broncos)

http://broncitis-volvo.blogspot.com/

Nick Stamm, from Stryker , Ohio builds the "Frankenstamm "  turbos for just about everything that rolls

If you Call him, tell him I said Hi 

This is Not an endorsement of any kind , simply a suggestion. 

Nick's Diesel & Repair

Address: 22931 Co Rd E-50,

Stryker, OH 43557

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

I installed a new USA made Borg Warner turbo on my Cat that was actually for a 12.7 Detroit up to 500hp. $750ish delivered from Turbo Resouce in AZ. Tom is well known in the performance light truck diesel world.

I couldn't trust a cheap Chinese turbo on something that would cost so much to repair if it scattered. Figured this was in the middle cost wise and was quality.

Edit: Part number was 172743.

Edited by CrazyCooter

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

8 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I would be wary of a $3-500 dollar turbo... if it implodes it will cost you an engine.

Hence my desire to replace my apparently worn out one and for asking to see if any one here has used them.  I would think that there has to be some reports good or bad on these. If not here, then perhaps in some trucking forums. 

Maybe it does not have as good of class of bearings and it will end up loose like the one I have now in 250K miles instead of 550K miles. I could actually live with that and be willing to make that trade for 1/4 the cost since this rig will never see that many more miles the way we use it. 

'00 F-350 CC PSD

'00 Volvo 610, Detroit Series 60 500 HP, Eaton Auto Shift, "Saddlebag" Cycle Hauler

6 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

You are screwed, give it up!

LOL

No way, Rubicon, Moab (or St. George), and Buena Vista in July. You need to drag your Bronco out of retirement one of these days!

'00 F-350 CC PSD

5 hours ago, Broncitis said:

LOL

No way, Rubicon, Moab (or St. George), and Buena Vista in July. You need to drag your Bronco out of retirement one of these days!

I'm trying to make it to the Roundup. Keeping fingers crossed I'll be in UT in July, Let me know when and where, I'll grab the in-laws JK and come down to see ya.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Broncitis      What tires do you run on your trailer? I have 17.5 tires on my 5er but I want to get a set that has a good name and not a mountain high price. We are in Va.  Thanks     Pat

The Old Sailor

I wet with a factory one from Detroit through Freightliner. Just because if it failed on the road I can go to any freightliner dealer for warranty.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:49 PM, JPL said:

Broncitis      What tires do you run on your trailer? I have 17.5 tires on my 5er but I want to get a set that has a good name and not a mountain high price. We are in Va.  Thanks     Pat

The Old Sailor

I  run LT265/75R16.

I wish I had 17.5", but this trailer came with 16's when I got it 15 years ago. 

I've blown a LOT of tires on this trailer over the years, as many as 8 or 10 in one cross country trip! I usually carry 4-8 spares.  Luckily with this  trailer, shredded tires do not damage it like it would an RV. 

The trip to Moab and Baja last May had all the blowouts as a cascading effect  likely from a couple of older tires blowing and then beating the adjuoing ones to death which later threw treads due to brusing the carcasses or blowing out due to wires from the steel  belts penetrating them and running low and shredding. 

My original Pressure Pro system had quit working on us and even afer returning it twice they were not able to get it to work. So I had a a newly installed different system on that trip which was total crap and never in 7K miles did pick up all the sensors in one cycle and when I did get low pressures you could not differentiate the very low volume missed sensor beep from a low / blown tire alarm. two times we had two simultations shredded tires by the time we discovered them. One time I probably traveled 100+ miles before knowing I had another.  When they shred I can not even feel it,  unlike a blowout where I hear it. 

I ended up buying 6 new tires on that trip and made another 7K mile trip around the country last fall with no issues as all. 

I have also got the latest Pressure Pro system, but still need to install it. 

'00 F-350 CC PSD

Why on God’s green earth would you continue to run 16s on this trailer and not convert it to 18 ply commercial 17.5s?

Im about to do this with my trailer after only one blowout of my 16s. 

Edited by Av8r3400

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

I've swapped out 16's for 17.5's twice.  Obviously, I believe in them, and the safety cushion they bring.  While it's a pretty big investment, it's better than spending equally large sums on a TPMS and still have the problem.  My philosophy, right or wrong, is to buy "overkill" tires and skip the monitor.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

10 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I've swapped out 16's for 17.5's twice.  Obviously, I believe in them, and the safety cushion they bring.  While it's a pretty big investment, it's better than spending equally large sums on a TPMS and still have the problem.  My philosophy, right or wrong, is to buy "overkill" tires and skip the monitor.

I totally agree. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

12 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Why on God’s green earth would you continue to run 16s on this trailer and not convert it to 18 ply commercial 17.5s?

Im about to do this with my trailer after only one blowout of my 16s. 

Or go buy an LT tire that fits your rim.  I ran Firestone Transforce tires on all my boat trailers and all my RV's until I bought the 17.5s.  Never had an issue with them.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins