You should be very pleased that you purchased a Class B RV...

Roadtrek 1

This is not a pretty picture .... and a reminder that Class B's are designed with Federal Automotive Standards, air bags, electronic stability controls and are generally safer than many other larger vehicles without these features.   This picture is an example of how strong a Class B is....the head on crash resulted in the couple unharmed and walked away from the accident.   This video shows how much damage the front occupants in the Class A would sustain.... not good....

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/14/rv-motorhome-camper-crash-tests/

image%3A21522

Here's the picture of the crashed Sprinter 3500 where the people walked away from the scene. 

I hope your RV has safety features;  it's very important.   

Old vehicles are "nostalgic",   but,  you can't fool around with your personal safety.   

Anti-lock brakes,  air bags and electronic stability control are among the most important features you can have on your vehicle.  

It's terrible that many RV manufacturers don't have these safety items because they're not required.  

Maybe they should be.  

Sprinter collision.jpg

6 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

I've read on the forum here of a preference for a 5er over a Class A due to the truck being designed with Federal Automotive Standards.

YES,   I can certainly see that.   Although,  you have to be very careful towing anything. 

By the way,  sorry,  the video from Sweden is not in English, but,  you'll get the idea. 

10 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

Gotta be careful with anything on the roadways. Heck, gotta be careful stepping off the curb. In the past the stress of life disappeared as I was focused on staying alive while riding my motorcycles.

Understood.   What I should have said was that when you "add" another vehicle to the mix as in towing, you need to be sure you have everything covered including coordinated braking,  proper weight distribution,  etc.   It completely changes the dynamics from a single vehicle and I'm sure that the Federal Safety Standards from the  Insurance Institute for Highway Safety would have an opinion about towing vs. just driving one vehicle. 

What I've heard about motorcycles ( I don't own one) is that after 5 years your number is up.  Be careful out there;   motorcycles are practically invisible to most car drivers,  if you know what I mean. 

https://www.iihs.org/

11 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Understood.   What I should have said was that when you "add" another vehicle to the mix as in towing, you need to be sure you have everything covered including coordinated braking,  proper weight distribution,  etc.   It completely changes the dynamics from a single vehicle and I'm sure that the Federal Safety Standards from the  Insurance Institute for Highway Safety would have an opinion about towing vs. just driving one vehicle. 

What I've heard about motorcycles ( I don't own one) is that after 5 years your number is up.  Be careful out there;   motorcycles are practically invisible to most car drivers,  if you know what I mean. 

https://www.iihs.org/

I haven't been riding motorcycles as long as some, only 46 years.  I must have over 9 lives because my number hasn't come up yet. 

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

On 5/15/2019 at 5:59 AM, FL-JOE said:

I haven't been riding motorcycles as long as some, only 46 years.  I must have over 9 lives because my number hasn't come up yet. 

Great, and I hope luck continues to be in your favor. Statistically, it's all about exposure and depending on where and how you ride makes a difference. Traffic vs. open road for example. 

Someone commuting in bumper to bumper traffic and splitting lanes is at a much higher risk.   People on motorcycles are practically ghosts to car drivers....

And, I certainly don't have to point out that the lack of metal around you is a serious problem. 

Bicycles are similarly dangerous in car vs. bicycle crashes....the number of cycle incidents in many cities like LA..cars are causing a lot of fatalities.... it's physics. 

I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, but, be careful, which you are obviously doing.... you can never be complacent when you are this much exposed.   I have to be very careful on my bicycle as well and it's only pedal power....

There are numerous reasons why motorcycles are considered more dangerous.  Recent stats indicate that 13 cars out of every 100,000 are involved in fatal crashes, whereas 72 motorcycles out of every 100,000 are.  I personally believe that ratio will increase if something isn't done about distracted driver's and the use of cell phones while driving on a national level.

Motorcycle riders that develop safe defensive habits early on and stick with them will have a much better safety record.  I never stay in someone's blind spot.  I drive at appropriate speeds.  I don't mix alcohol and motorcycle riding.  

I suppose we could all stay in a sticknbrick, never go outside those walls, and if needed drive an armored car to doctor's appointments...…..or...….we can live life and not worry about it until the grim reaper comes calling.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

In the days well before cell phones, Dave's brother was riding his motorcycle on a highway with grade level crossings. A car pulled up to the stop sign at a crossing; the driver appeared to look right at him; then she pulled out in front of him causing him to hit the side of her car which threw him up over the hood. In spite of months in traction his one leg is several inches shorter than the other. She said she never saw him.

Reality is our eyes filter what we see to keep from being overwhelmed. She probably asked herself if there was any oncoming traffic--meaning trucks, cars or buses. Her brain probably filtered out motorcycles. That's why I was so happy to see the bumper sticker campaign start that reads, "Start SEEING motorcycles."

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

Motorcycle riders that develop safe defensive habits early on and stick with them will have a much better safety record.  I never stay in someone's blind spot.  I drive at appropriate speeds.  I don't mix alcohol and motorcycle riding.

Unfortunately, far too few motorcycle riders do their part. If the motorcyclist can't see the mirrors of the car, that driver can't see him/her. And far too many of them do not wear appropriate safety gear. I still don't understand why it is that the federal highway laws can tell the drivers of steel cocoons (cars) that they must have air-bags and wear seat-belts, while the motorcyclists usually revolt at any state that requires them to wear only a helmet!  I have learned that the lack of a helmet is the first warning of a biker with an attitude. 

And then there is what motorcyclists like to call lane splitting!

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Unfortunately, far too few motorcycle riders do their part. If the motorcyclist can't see the mirrors of the car, that driver can't see him/her. And far too many of them do not wear appropriate safety gear. I still don't understand why it is that the federal highway laws can tell the drivers of steel cocoons (cars) that they must have air-bags and wear seat-belts, while the motorcyclists usually revolt at any state that requires them to wear only a helmet!  I have learned that the lack of a helmet is the first warning of a biker with an attitude. 

And then there is what motorcyclists like to call lane splitting!

Let me first say that I wear a helmet about 90% of the time.  Has there been a time in Florida where I am running down to the gas station 1/2 miles away and I don't strap it on?  Certainly.  Have I rode to a buddy's house a mile away without it and wearing only shorts and a tee shirt, yep, I have.

I have three friends who have ridden motorcycles since being teenagers (45 years plus).  One is a retired diesel mechanic and two are retired LEOs.  One always wears his helmet (mechanic) and the other two only wear helmets when in a state that requires it.  

So these retired grandpas are on their motorcycles enjoying a ride and when you spot the two without a helmet you immediately think "okay, now there is two guys with an attitude"? 

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

24 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

So these retired grandpas are on their motorcycles enjoying a ride and when you spot the two without a helmet you immediately think "okay, now there is two guys with an attitude"? 

It is an alert that they probably do have one. Neither being a grandpa or a retired cop lessen that likelihood. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

It is an alert that they probably do have one. Neither being a grandpa or a retired cop lessen that likelihood. 

Wow.  Here are two guys in their late 60's.  One of them did 2 tours as a Marine in VN and got shot twice for this country, came home and served his local community by being a police officer for 25 years.  He has a wonderful family and doesn't care where we are stopping for lunch because before we eat he is saying the prayer. 

The other one served just over 30 years in the inner city as a police officer and lost two of his buddies in the line of duty.  He would do anything for anyone at the drop of a hat.

These two are quality Americans that I am proud to call my friends.  

You are correct about one thing though.  All three of us have a certain attitude.  It has nothing to do with helmets or motorcycles.  It is an attitude that anyone who profiles another person based on what they wear, how they look, or what color skin they have, is a person not worth giving the time of day to.  

Kirk, you really need to reevaluate how you look at others.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

When Dave's brother had his accident he was wearing a helmet. It was not comfortable lying on the pavement with it on so he asked a cop to remove it for him. The cop refused. So Tim lifted his head and threw his neck in such a way as to thow off the helmet. The cop's response? He was taught not to remove the helmet because sometimes it's the only thing holding the head and neck together. You might want to remember that when choosing to ride without a helmet.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

18 hours ago, sandsys said:

When Dave's brother had his accident he was wearing a helmet. It was not comfortable lying on the pavement with it on so he asked a cop to remove it for him. The cop refused. So Tim lifted his head and threw his neck in such a way as to thow off the helmet. The cop's response? He was taught not to remove the helmet because sometimes it's the only thing holding the head and neck together. You might want to remember that when choosing to ride without a helmet.

Linda

As a young local police officer first starting out you never forget your first fatal traffic crash.  Mine was a rather simple intersection crash involving a crotch rocket ridden by a college kid vs a car.  The car ran a red light and the motorcycle struck him in the rear quarter panel.  The kid was wearing leathers and a full face helmet.  It threw him over the trunk of the car.  I was only a few blocks away and when I arrived a minute or so later the kid was standing there looking at his crunched motorcycle.

I talked to him briefly to ensure he was okay.  He said he felt fine.  I had to ask him twice to sit on the curb and relax because I had rescue on the way to check him over.  I went about securing the scene because we were in a busy intersection.  Just as the rescue pulled up the kid toppled over.  He had suffered some type of internal injury and died right there.  Had nothing to do with a head injury.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been wearing a helmet.  What I am saying is a helmet certainly did not save his life.  

Over the years I would handle numerous other fatal motorcycle crashes.  Many of those crashes the victim died as the result of injuries not related to the head.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

I don't think anyone could argue that wearing a helmet increases your chances of surviving a serious motorcycle crash.  Just like traveling in a small Class B with all the safety features vs a larger rig would no doubt increase your chances.

Experienced motorcycle riders consider other safety factors also when reaching for that helmet or when leaving it at home.  A full face, and even some 3/4 helmets can restrict your hearing and your side vision.  I think you can compensate for this but it could still be a factor to consider.  

No matter if a rider is wearing a helmet or not, I hope Kirk is the exception to the rule and folks don't consider riders they see on the road without helmets as having a "bad attitude".   Sure there are some bad apples out there just like with anything.  However, for the most part they are just regular folks, many of which are fathers/mothers, grandpas, and even grandmas.  Some people might golf or have other activities for recreation, most bikers I know just want to ride and that is our R&R. 

It is sad that we have a part time moderator on this forum that profiles a certain class of folks in a negative manner.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

4 hours ago, dewilso said:

Who pays for the injuries caused by their ________?

The same people who pay for all those who overeat, drink alcohol, smoke, chew tobacco, don't exercise, and all other behaviors which lead to poor health and require medical attention.  We all have our bad behaviors.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

19 hours ago, dewilso said:

So, golfers need helmets ? I’m with Kirk, and not even a part time moderator, or agitator. Who pays for the injuries caused by their ________?

You need to visit a big city hospital ER my friend.  If you think that someone getting injured by not wearing a motorcycle helmet is stealing your tax dollars, then a real education awaits you.   Young Medicaid mother's bringing their kids in for colds, heroin addicts scamming pills, you name it.  You could probably sit there all weekend and never see a victim from a motorcycle accident come in but you would certainly see probably over a million bucks go out the door with free uncalled for health care.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

23 hours ago, ARGO said:

Yeah, and if you wanna' see a REAL stampede, walk in wearing a cap says "I.C.E." and stand back.

Ahhhhh, so you have visited one of the hospitals I am thinking about recently?  Good one!

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana