IRV2

Kirk W

I just made an interesting discovery. Like RV Park Reviews, they have a new owner and it is the same one as RV Park Reviews (now Campground Reviews). The new owners are Social Knowledge, LLC, that seems to be the parent organization of a growing number of websites and bulletin boards. 

Social Knowledge, LLC has developed best practices to ensure that our communities continue to evolve and stay leaders in their particular focus area. Our communities are highly moderated & considered authority sites in their respective niche topic areas.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Same thing happened with the motorcycle forum I was on.  It was bought out by a Canadian company.  They also own many forums. 

This buy out was done a little while ago. 

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I just made an interesting discovery. Like RV Park Reviews, they have a new owner and it is the same one as RV Park Reviews (now Campground Reviews). The new owners are Social Knowledge, LLC, that seems to be the parent organization of a growing number of websites and bulletin boards. 

That makes me glad the only forum in which I participate is this one. I feel confident the Escapees are not going to sell out to some other company. Although I have known other family owned and run companies to do so when there were no more younger generation interested It's hard for me to imagine the Carr's letting that happen--at least in my lifetime. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

14 hours ago, Kirk W said:

The new owners are Social Knowledge, LLC, that seems to be the parent organization of a growing number of websites and bulletin boards. 

With all due respect, Social Knowledge owned IRV2 long before it acquired RVParkReviews (now CampgroundReviews).  It is, by no means, a new acquisition.  Its new acquisition that is relevant to the RV community is RVForum.net

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I follow a number of forums owned by Social Knowledge, and have not found the management to be heavy handed over the content.  Let's hope that continues now that they own one of the more popular campground review sites...

At to RVForum.net, the acquisition has not changed my status on that forum.  I made the "mistake" of posting a link to my web page with photos of a campground when answering a question & received a notice that I was now banned for life:

Sorry vermilye, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

This ban is not set to expire.
Edited by vermilye

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

1 hour ago, docj said:

It is, by no means, a new acquisition.

Sorry! No intention of offending you but it wasn't always part of that group and it would appear that I was not the only person here that was unaware of that change, regardless of when it may have taken place. I think it is pretty well known that you are part of Campground Reviews staff.

I left RVForum a long time ago and haven't even looked at it for several years. 

Do companies like Social Knowledge make their money by selling advertising, or what is their reasoning for existence? 

Edited by Kirk W
Add a question.

15 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I just made an interesting discovery. Like RV Park Reviews, they have a new owner and it is the same one as RV Park Reviews (now Campground Reviews).

No offense taken.  Since it's been owned by Social Knowledge for more than 5 years, I was simply pointing out that it was difficult to think of it as a "new owner".

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

8 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

And to answer Kirk's question, yes, Social Knowledge is advertising supported.

As is this website.  This is the best (and cheapest) advertising Escapees could possibly buy.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 hours ago, chirakawa said:

As is this website.  This is the best (and cheapest) advertising Escapees could possibly buy.

The difference though, is that Social Knowledge, LLC's primary business model is running revenue producing display advertising on the forums they host. I don't say that's a bad thing though. Selling "eyeballs" has kept Google in lunch money for quite awhile... :)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I was chastised by one of the IR2 moderators for having a link to my blog because the side bar of my blog has a link to my devotional books - which sell for all of 99 cents (the least Amazon will allow).  Basically the books are given away and I make maybe $2 a year in royalties.  The moderator wasn't impressed and told me I had to remove the link.

It struck me as interesting that their campground review site encourages people to write reviews and post them so they can advertise on the site - but they are worried I might make a dollar or two a year selling books.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

1 hour ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

It struck me as interesting that their campground review site encourages people to write reviews and post them so they can advertise on the site -

As one of the Admins of CampgroundReviews.com, I'm not quite sure how to interpret this comment.  Yes, we do encourage people to submit reviews of parks.  And, yes, the site is ad-supported. But >90% of the ads on the site are Google ads which aren't "sold" in the normal sense of selling advertising.  Google ads are placed on websites (for free, i believe) and the site gets revenue from reader "clicks" on those ads.  Your comment makes it sound as if somehow the review you submit increases site's revenue.  It does to the extent that if there were no reviews then no one would go the site and there wouldn't be any revenue, but that's all.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I think you missed Scott's point - - a site that is raising money by having links is admonishing him for having links on HIS site and posting a link to his site.   Sort of pot-kettle situation.  But then a lot of what the moderators do on iRV2 seems petty and disingenuous to me - - such as my having posts removed because I suggested someone go Escapees to find out how to enroll in mail forwarding, etc.   

And I do not like the way RV Parks Reviews has been subsumed into RV Life - -  first they screw up my login, then I get chastised because I let them know that their apps don't work properly on iPads/iPhones, etc.   Talk about a way to put people off - - like they enjoy making it so difficult to participate and then wring their hands that no one is participating!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I got warned on one of their other sites I use about telling someone about a Facebook page, they called it fishing, trying to lure people away from their site. I thought it was being helpful telling where to find info....silly me

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

8 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

And I do not like the way RV Parks Reviews has been subsumed into RV Life - -  first they screw up my login, then I get chastised because I let them know that their apps don't work properly on iPads/iPhones, etc.  

I suspect that the folks over at Campendium are enjoying the changes at what was once RV Park Reviews. I have never been into doing long hours of volunteer work for someone who is making a profit on my free work.  😊

On 5/13/2019 at 9:43 AM, Dutch_12078 said:

And to answer Kirk's question, yes, Social Knowledge is advertising supported.

Their website appears to be down this afternoon.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I think "copying" is a rather strong statement. Both sites look to be configured to work well on both a computer screen, or mobile device. The page layout suggests this, and is also on many, many other websites.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

36 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

I think "copying" is a rather strong statement.

OK, but Campendium did start one more than a year ago. I find both to be rather interesting and they are catching up, so to speak. I understand that this is a majority Campground Reviews forum and  I use them most too so intend nothing bad about them. But I support and use both sites and find some things I prefer on each of them. 

It might be that the owners of IRV2 have little or nothing to do with the moderation we like so much. It is in direct contrast to the Escapee forums that have almost no moderation beyond spam removal and occasional locking of a thread by admin. 

8 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

It might be that the owners of IRV2 have little or nothing to do with the moderation we like so much. 

I can say from personal involvement that the forums managed by Social Knowledge are relatively independent with very little "policy" involvement from "corporate".  Each forum has its own character and there is no desire on the part of management to impose any degree of uniformity.  Different forums appeal to different people. Making them homogeneous wouldn't increase the user community; more likely it would cause some users to leave.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Somehow I've managed to get onto some of their brand-specific newsletter sites that I don't want to be on. I've tried unsubscribing, but that seems to get me more newsletters. I tried the link above and clicked on CONTACT. That brought up an ad for gmail!

At least delete still works.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

9 minutes ago, kb0zke said:

Somehow I've managed to get onto some of their brand-specific newsletter sites that I don't want to be on. I've tried unsubscribing, but that seems to get me more newsletters. I tried the link above and clicked on CONTACT. That brought up an ad for gmail!

At least delete still works.

The "Contact Us" button at my link above opens my Thunderbird email in write mode here. The address is "support@socialknowledge.com".

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system