Best RV Internet for Dummies

6 hours ago, mkc said:

I'm trying to recall, but I think it was the same OP for that thread as for this "Best Internet" one....

I checked, it was Turbopilot who is also the OP of the Best Internet thread.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Not to belabor this topic, but I think that the following excerpt from that IRV2 thread is very illuminating.  It was posted late today.  What I find interesting is that the writer likes the fact that this "Best Internet"thread was controlled by a handful of people rather than having "50-60 arguing what router is best".  Essentially, the writer prefers to be spoonfed information by a couple of people rather than having to deal with sorting things out from an uncontrolled discussion.  Personally, I find this behavior to be the epitome of "I don't want to go through the trouble of learning something new; just give me the answers."    All I can say is that I'm somewhat disheartened to learn that the efforts of myself and others to explain technology to people apparently have fallen on rather deaf ears, partly because we're not part of the Newmar club.

Here's the excerpt:

For me and others I know, who are technically challenged, we never visit the Technology forum, because it makes our heads spin with the techno talk. By having the discussion here, it reduces the information down to 5-6 techno guys providing info, rather than 50-60 arguing about which router is better. This post was SPECIFICALLY designed to keep the techno talk to a level others could understand in a forum where many of us know each other.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

9 hours ago, docj said:

Not to belabor this topic, but I think that the following excerpt from that IRV2 thread is very illuminating. 

Perhaps they need to limit who can make a post there or at least limit who is able to respond to the first post in a thread?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 4 months later...
On 5/10/2019 at 2:02 PM, Technomadia said:

All I get is an error message about too many redirects when attempting to do so. 

Are you using a VPN?  I can't use their site when I'm on VPN (which is rare, but sometimes I need to).

They make a claim in that post that is absolutely false:

Cellular boosting is DEAD with the newer technologies. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Nope.  You do have to buy a MODERN repeater, but they exist.  I installed a commercial one in an office about a month ago ($2500), and it has made a huge improvement.  I also got a mobile one ($400) for the RV and car, which likewise makes an obvious improvement.  So far we are preferring this over the other options we tried.

10 hours ago, Carlos said:

They make a claim in that post that is absolutely false:

Cellular boosting is DEAD with the newer technologies. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Nope.  You do have to buy a MODERN repeater, but they exist.  I installed a commercial one in an office about a month ago ($2500), and it has made a huge improvement.  I also got a mobile one ($400) for the RV and car, which likewise makes an obvious improvement.  So far we are preferring this over the other options we tried.

Did you also post this on the IRV2 thread?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs