Best RV Internet for Dummies

52 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Someone should point the IRV2 thread to Mobile Internet Resource Center as it seems they are not aware of it. 

There was a link to Technomadia in that IRV2 thread in post 14 on page one. The specific people on IRV2 who started and are controlling the thread aren't the kind who will accede to the fact that anyone knows as much as they do so suggesting Technomadia as a resource doesn't fulfill their need to pontificate.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

49 minutes ago, docj said:

There was a link to Technomadia in that IRV2 thread in post 14 on page one.

It is possible there were more mentions of Chris and Cherie as well.  Unfortunately, iRV2 has a policy of deleting links to any site they know of having any sort of income-related links on it or sites they consider "promotional", even if the information in the direct link is free and of general RV interest.  There is some history with Technomadia links being blocked by their moderators in the past and they have been known to ban users who post such links.

Zulu (under a different name on irRV2) gave the link in post #14 (Mobile Internet Resource Center - MIRC).

In post #15 it states that MIRC gets their articles from the iRV2 OP's work.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

6 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

In post #15 it states that MIRC gets their articles from the iRV2 OP's work.

Yes, both the OP and the person making post 15 are of the belief that their role on Earth is to educate the RV community. JMO

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

2 hours ago, mkc said:

Unfortunately, iRV2 has a policy of deleting links to any site they know of having any sort of income-related links on it or sites they consider "promotional", even if the information in the direct link is free and of general RV interest.  There is some history with Technomadia links being blocked by their moderators in the past and they have been known to ban users who post such links.

My personal experience has been that IRV2 is Ok with someone else making a reference to a commercial website as long as the website itself doesn't make the first post.  For example, with respect to WiFiRanger I'm allowed to respond to someone else's post and I can make "informative" posts such as the one I made recently about a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that recalled some power supplies.  

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 hour ago, docj said:

Yes, both the OP and the person making post 15 are of the belief that their role on Earth is to educate the RV community. JMO

Yep, that's pretty much what I thought.

The "pontificators" all appear to be new or newer Newmar coach owners. The IRV2 Newmar thread has become a haven for new coach buyers/owners, and some are as arrogant and entitled as the day is long.

I suggested to the IRV2 forum Moderators that they move the thread from where it is (Newmar Owners) to the Technology thread. A Moderator responded saying the thread owner wanted it to stay. Then the Mod suggested I was being disruptive by suggesting that, so I pretty much threw in the towel.

I posted the link here hoping others might respond.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

16 minutes ago, Zulu said:

The "pontificators" all appear to be new or newer Newmar coach owners. The IRV2 Newmar thread has become a haven for new coach buyers/owners, and some are as arrogant and entitled as the day is long.

I'm glad you said that.  I've been feeling the same way for months but was reluctant to point a finger at the whole sub-forum.

Personally, I think a lot of this "attitude" started a year or so ago when the sub-forum decided to create a list it called "Class A RV Resorts."  The list isn't based on any objective criteria nor is it limited to "Class A Only" resorts.  It simply is a list that Newmar owners have compiled through their basis of "extensive experience" and "superior knowledge."  At one point I asked a question about a particular "resort" that I didn't think belonged on such a list and I was told, in no uncertain terms, that this was a Newmar owners list and they could do what they want with it.  I guess we should all be thankful that they've posted it on a public forum where us peasants (non-Newmar) owners can benefit from their expertise! 😁

One thing I found especially amusing was a thread a month or so ago in which a Newwar owner had the audacity to criticize something relating to his MH and how the company did or did not handle specific warranty concerns.  The response from the "pack leaders" (Neal and Turbo) was instantaneous and strong...."how dare you say bad things about something we decided was the best brand on the market."

What's a shame IMO is that they've almost totally derailed technology discussions on IRV2 because they jump in and dominate nearly every thread.

Joel 

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Thank you all for the support on this.  

It was kinda shocking to us to see an accusation of plagiarism in the thread.  We do all of our independent research, testing and writing - and if we are referencing someone else's content, we always give credit where credit is due.

We actually reached out to the original poster of the thread, who is actually one of our premium members whom we helped in our own forums. Prior to him him joining our site earlier this year, we had no knowledge of him - and prior to today we had not tracked his postings anywhere outside of our own. 

He told us he had actually posted in the thread with a link and recommendation to us - but it was deleted by a moderator.  *shrug*

We ourselves long ago quit even attempting to assist on the IRV2 forums because of the extreme moderation. 

We so appreciate our Escapee's & Xscapers community. 

Edited by Technomadia

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Technomadia:  I wish you would do a reply to Neal's post on that forum to clarify things - without any links. :)  (Hope you're out of bug range with your boat!!  Those were horrible)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, docj said:

I'm glad you said that.  I've been feeling the same way for months but was reluctant to point a finger at the whole sub-forum.

Personally, I think a lot of this "attitude" started a year or so ago when the sub-forum decided to create a list it called "Class A RV Resorts." 

I'm trying to recall, but I think it was the same OP for that thread as for this "Best Internet" one....

54 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Technomadia:  I wish you would do a reply to Neal's post on that forum to clarify things - without any links. :)  (Hope you're out of bug range with your boat!!  Those were horrible)

We would be happy to reply there - however, their forums seem to not be allowing us to - whether by design or technical error. All I get is an error message about too many redirects when attempting to do so. 

I see that Neal is now claiming that because we happen to cover the same equipment that Turbopilot is recommending that we should be crediting him and/or IRV2. 

We always credit our sources.. and simply put, neither IRV2 or Turbopilot is the original source of our knowledge of these devices, or their pairing. And Turbopilot's experience (as with all our member's sharing) with the devices is shared & searchable in our forums and clearly credited to his name.  

We've had these router models in testing for years, and have covered them with information we've obtained direct from the manufacturers and based on our own hands on experience with them. The antenna pairing is actually what Airstream is including in their new dealer installed kit, which is how it originally came on our radar - and followed-up with working with the folks at LivinLite.net to obtain further technical specifications, feedback from the manufacturer and evaluation samples.  

The particular pairing is nothing particularly unique, nor original by Turbopilot or us (we clearly credit Airstream and LivinLite in our coverage where appropriate.)  

And we attempt to cover ALL options out there - with a focus on selecting what will best meet YOUR needs. 

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

55 minutes ago, Technomadia said:

We would be happy to reply there - however, their forums seem to not be allowing us to - whether by design or technical error. All I get is an error message about too many redirects when attempting to do so. 

I see that Neal is now claiming that because we happen to cover the same equipment that Turbopilot is recommending that we should be crediting him and/or IRV2. 

We always credit our sources.. and simply put, neither IRV2 or Turbopilot is the original source of our knowledge of these devices, or their pairing. And Turbopilot's experience (as with all our member's sharing) with the devices is shared & searchable in our forums and clearly credited to his name.  

We've had these router models in testing for years, and have covered them with information we've obtained direct from the manufacturers and based on our own hands on experience with them. The antenna pairing is actually what Airstream is including in their new dealer installed kit, which is how it originally came on our radar - and followed-up with working with the folks at LivinLite.net to obtain further technical specifications, feedback from the manufacturer and evaluation samples.  

The particular pairing is nothing particularly unique, nor original by Turbopilot or us (we clearly credit Airstream and LivinLite in our coverage where appropriate.)  

And we attempt to cover ALL options out there - with a focus on selecting what will best meet YOUR needs. 

- Cherie

Here is Neal's reply as to why you cant get on IRV2

" That's because they are on the cutting edge using Internet v4.0. This site is still on 1990ware vBulletin 3. Seriously old! "

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

3 hours ago, Technomadia said:

We ourselves long ago quit even attempting to assist on the IRV2 forums because of the extreme moderation. 

I had that sort of problems also. I was chastised for posting a link to an Escapee thread and later for quoting the Escapees magazine. I was told by one of their moderators that they don't want "another shill for the Escapees."

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Techno, if you click on the iRV2 link that Zulu posted  and then go t #129, 130, you'll see what their replies are.

What's apparent from those replies is that Turbopilot has at least some class.  Neal, OTOH, has none.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I no longer go on FaceBook because I found it to be anti-social media rather than social media. This Forum and iRV2 are now like being in Jr High School with all the bickering. Let’s all be adults and say positive posts. Let’s stop with the negitive. I am here to learn from others and respond with information others may need, not to play games and have drama. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I had that sort of problems also. I was chastised for posting a link to an Escapee thread and later for quoting the Escapees magazine. I was told by one of their moderators that they don't want "another shill for the Escapees."

Is it NLOVNIT by any chance?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

1 hour ago, docj said:

What's apparent from those replies is that Turbopilot has at least some class.  Neal, OTOH, has none.

Those replies have now been moderated away as have many others. It looks like the original post that claimed plagiarism is finally gone too.

As a Newmar owner, that subgroup has been very helpful over the years, but I do not agree with the heavy-handed and seemingly arbitrary moderation policies and the elitism of some participants.

Edited by The Free Five

38 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

I no longer go on FaceBook because I found it to be anti-social media rather than social media. This Forum and iRV2 are now like being in Jr High School with all the bickering. Let’s all be adults and say positive posts. Let’s stop with the negitive. 

Being positive for the sake of being positive I call Thumperism. Don't confuse constructive criticism with bickering.

I think some useful info came out here. For example, I thought I was alone in what I saw happening on IRV2, but from comments here, apparently not. Knowing there are others who feel the same can facilitate change.

Not long after I first started posting on RV forums, prior to the 2008 presidential election, RV.net had some of the most hateful posts I have ever read anywhere. Even a moderator was joining in. I wrote to the owners of the RV.net web site and included sample hate posts. As a result, Marcus himself apologized, the Moderator was taken to the wood shed, and hate posts (and posters) pretty much disappeared.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs