Boondocking around west entrance Yellowstone

dennisvr

Will be heading to Yellowstone the first of June.  Heading from Ca so I guess Hwy 80 then north on Hwy 93 in Nv then work my way over to the west entrance.  I will be pulling a 40' 5th wheel with a HDT.  Does anyone know of Boondocking sites close to the west entrance I could use?

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

17 minutes ago, Cowdog353 said:

Spring creek on Lake Hebgen is good location.  Vault toilets no water or power. 1st few spots after the camp host space are the best.  14 day limit .  Watch for the Bears. Lol

The website I went to says its $45 a night, is the one?  I'm looking for a boondocking site.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I was camp host last year. There was no fee involved. There is a consession campground on the same road with water and electric. Could be the one you saw. 

Checked website for Spring Creek Campground, West Yellowstone, Mt ,.  Did not show fee involved.

There is a commercial campground in Montana called Spring Creek. Might be the one you saw. 

The one I am referring to is 18 from west gate.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Cowdog353

11 hours ago, Cowdog353 said:

I was camp host last year. There was no fee involved. There is a consession campground on the same road with water and electric. Could be the one you saw. 

Checked website for Spring Creek Campground, West Yellowstone, Mt ,.  Did not show fee involved.

There is a commercial campground in Montana called Spring Creek. Might be the one you saw. 

The one I am referring to is 18 from west gate.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I will try and find the one you are talking about.  Do you think I can get in with a 40' 5th wheel and HDT?

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Part of the road is gravel.  Gets a few wash board places as season goes by. I had a35' 5th wheel with Ram dually, no problems. Road was gravel in campground but individual campsites were dirt/grass. I believe they were going to gravel sites but don't know if they did or not. Call ranger station in West Yellowstone and they can up date you .  I really enjoyed the area. 

2 hours ago, Cowdog353 said:

Part of the road is gravel.  Gets a few wash board places as season goes by. I had a35' 5th wheel with Ram dually, no problems. Road was gravel in campground but individual campsites were dirt/grass. I believe they were going to gravel sites but don't know if they did or not. Call ranger station in West Yellowstone and they can up date you .  I really enjoyed the area. 

Thanks for the info.  I'm also looking at Bakers Hole campground.  At $8 a night for dry camping spot with old geezers card sounds pretty good as it being close to the entrance to the park.  Looks to be big rig friendly.  First come first serve so I may try to get there the first to the middle part of the week, I may have a better chance of getting a spot.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

dennisrv, what 2gypsies( and no offense to 2gypsies) said was true a couple of years ago. But they have done quite a bit of trimming. We have a 40' fiver and crew cab dually and have no problem. There is a few dry site we can't get in due to size. But there are many, and numerous good solar sites.

Thanks all for the great info.  I plan on parking the rig in West Yellowstone and unloading the smart car and scout out the area to camp.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Baker's Hole...one of the half circle pull through sites would be excellent for you although they are electric sites which makes the cost go up to pay for electric(no discount on electric even with Geezer). Love the place though!!

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's

On 5/19/2019 at 12:15 AM, acampingwewillgo said:

Baker's Hole...one of the half circle pull through sites would be excellent for you although they are electric sites which makes the cost go up to pay for electric(no discount on electric even with Geezer). Love the place though!!

Thanks for the info.  I've checking the rates, you don't get a discount on elec sites or additional vehicles.  Its great to only have to pay $10 (geezer card) for a dry campsite for a 40' 5th wheel and 30' truck. Then a bummer to pay another $8 for a 8'6" long smart car.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Dennis, as a frequent flyer at Bakers Hole and other Forest Service CGs, if this fee wasn't enforced, there would be no room. People bring more vehicles and it become a PITA just to get around the CG. I do understand where you are coming from but have experienced the situation first hand.

Your senior card won't give a electric discount at any campground; not just this one.  It's only for a basic campsite.

An extra car fee is very commonplace - even at state parks.  They try to discourage a 'parking lot look'.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's advise on Bakers Hole CG.  Got here yesterday about 3pm.  Found site #12 I could get into.  Took it and then scouted the other ones out.  Found Site # 63 on the river and talked to the couple that was in it and they were leaving the next morning at 8:30am.  I told them I would be there waiting to get it.  We got it this morning and I think its the best site in the entire camp ground, right across the street from the river and in full sun so my solar is doing great.  Now only if they could do something about those darn buffaloes. On our way to Old Faithful we had to wait 2 hrs to go 3 miles because they think they own the road and walk right down the middle.😁  The bad part was after 2 hrs we got to within 100 yds of them and then they walked off the road into the trees and didn't get any good pictures of them.  But we did see many more for pictures.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Hey, dennisvr and 2gypsies, just don't get too comfortable in Site 63. I should be on your bumper in several weeks. After reading your posts a couple minutes ago, I  went to try to find the site map for the "Hole".  Punched on the following website and unbelievably, that is us sitting there in 63. It must have been taken within the last 2 seasons! By all means, have fun and be safe!

https://www.visitmt.com/listings/general/national-forest-campground/baker-s-hole-campground.html

Edited by bobsallyh

Fantastic Bob.  After looking at the picture it got me thinking that I should take a walk and take a picture of our rig in the site.
p9jMv4il.jpg

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

1 hour ago, DHOUCK said:

What is the "geezer card" you all are referring to?

Returning to RVing after an 8 year hiatus.

The America the Beautiful 62+ card.  There are others if you're not 62 or if you're handicapped.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel