Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dennisvr

Boondocking around west entrance Yellowstone

Recommended Posts

Will be heading to Yellowstone the first of June.  Heading from Ca so I guess Hwy 80 then north on Hwy 93 in Nv then work my way over to the west entrance.  I will be pulling a 40' 5th wheel with a HDT.  Does anyone know of Boondocking sites close to the west entrance I could use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spring creek on Lake Hebgen is good location.  Vault toilets no water or power. 1st few spots after the camp host space are the best.  14 day limit .  Watch for the Bears. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cowdog353 said:

Spring creek on Lake Hebgen is good location.  Vault toilets no water or power. 1st few spots after the camp host space are the best.  14 day limit .  Watch for the Bears. Lol

The website I went to says its $45 a night, is the one?  I'm looking for a boondocking site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was camp host last year. There was no fee involved. There is a consession campground on the same road with water and electric. Could be the one you saw. 

Checked website for Spring Creek Campground, West Yellowstone, Mt ,.  Did not show fee involved.

There is a commercial campground in Montana called Spring Creek. Might be the one you saw. 

The one I am referring to is 18 from west gate.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Cowdog353

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cowdog353 said:

I was camp host last year. There was no fee involved. There is a consession campground on the same road with water and electric. Could be the one you saw. 

Checked website for Spring Creek Campground, West Yellowstone, Mt ,.  Did not show fee involved.

There is a commercial campground in Montana called Spring Creek. Might be the one you saw. 

The one I am referring to is 18 from west gate.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I will try and find the one you are talking about.  Do you think I can get in with a 40' 5th wheel and HDT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the road is gravel.  Gets a few wash board places as season goes by. I had a35' 5th wheel with Ram dually, no problems. Road was gravel in campground but individual campsites were dirt/grass. I believe they were going to gravel sites but don't know if they did or not. Call ranger station in West Yellowstone and they can up date you .  I really enjoyed the area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cowdog353 said:

Part of the road is gravel.  Gets a few wash board places as season goes by. I had a35' 5th wheel with Ram dually, no problems. Road was gravel in campground but individual campsites were dirt/grass. I believe they were going to gravel sites but don't know if they did or not. Call ranger station in West Yellowstone and they can up date you .  I really enjoyed the area. 

Thanks for the info.  I'm also looking at Bakers Hole campground.  At $8 a night for dry camping spot with old geezers card sounds pretty good as it being close to the entrance to the park.  Looks to be big rig friendly.  First come first serve so I may try to get there the first to the middle part of the week, I may have a better chance of getting a spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dennisrv, what 2gypsies( and no offense to 2gypsies) said was true a couple of years ago. But they have done quite a bit of trimming. We have a 40' fiver and crew cab dually and have no problem. There is a few dry site we can't get in due to size. But there are many, and numerous good solar sites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for the great info.  I plan on parking the rig in West Yellowstone and unloading the smart car and scout out the area to camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not recommend Spring Creek for HDT this time of year I just opened the c/g Sunday and the road is muddy in spots. A 40' HDT might be limited anytime of year in Spring Creek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baker's Hole...one of the half circle pull through sites would be excellent for you although they are electric sites which makes the cost go up to pay for electric(no discount on electric even with Geezer). Love the place though!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2019 at 12:15 AM, acampingwewillgo said:

Baker's Hole...one of the half circle pull through sites would be excellent for you although they are electric sites which makes the cost go up to pay for electric(no discount on electric even with Geezer). Love the place though!!

Thanks for the info.  I've checking the rates, you don't get a discount on elec sites or additional vehicles.  Its great to only have to pay $10 (geezer card) for a dry campsite for a 40' 5th wheel and 30' truck. Then a bummer to pay another $8 for a 8'6" long smart car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dennis, as a frequent flyer at Bakers Hole and other Forest Service CGs, if this fee wasn't enforced, there would be no room. People bring more vehicles and it become a PITA just to get around the CG. I do understand where you are coming from but have experienced the situation first hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your senior card won't give a electric discount at any campground; not just this one.  It's only for a basic campsite.

An extra car fee is very commonplace - even at state parks.  They try to discourage a 'parking lot look'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

Escapees Hangouts

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

Shade My RV



×
×
  • Create New...