Sign in to follow this  
GraceSavedMe

bgk200127

My wife and I are considering retiring soon and hitting the road in a RV. I read yesterday that there are over 2500 new choices on the market this year. That almost seems overwhelming. We have a very good idea of what we want concerning, size, price range and some specific items but there has to be an easier way to search than going through so many units. Does anyone know of a search where you can just check off must have items and it brings up a list of units that meet that criteria?

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure of exactly what you are asking but here are a couple lists that shows what corporations owns/makes what brands.  I'm leaning heavily towards the first company as the second I keep hearing a lot of bad stuff such as quality.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/our-brands

https://www.thorindustries.com/brands

I have personally not seen a site to choose what you want and bring only those up.  I have noticed, both companies, the lower end units are, well, low end in quality big time.  We narrowed down our search then traveled to a couple stealerships to see them in person and walked away shaking my head.  One in particular, on sale for 90k, fully expected good quality, set up just the way we wanted until I started looking at fit/finish.  There are a few more which someone else can mention with their personal experiences.

Another one I want to look at is Grand Design, they seem to be pretty good so far.

My best suggestion, narrow it down to what you want, visit a show or stealership and nit pick!  You said ya'll are going to hit the road.  Are you talking full-time with no stick n brick, weekend warrior, couple months at a time or just snow-birding like we plan on doing starting this fall.  How soon do you plan on hitting the road?  Good luck and again, welcome to the forum!

edit:  When you get close to picking out your RV, go to a forum about that manufacturer and read what others say.  There are some eye-opening comments from folks that have used/lived in some RVs and others that has nothing but good comments.

Edited by NDBirdman

7 hours ago, GraceSavedMe said:

We have a very good idea of what we want concerning, size, price range and some specific items but there has to be an easier way to search than going through so many units. Does anyone know of a search where you can just check off must have items and it brings up a list of units that meet that criteria?

Haven't seen a search of that nature. Having a base line to work from as yourselves do, it's websites for manufactures and dealers with a dose of youtube thrown in as you search from the house. Then trips to dealers and RV Shows to get some sit time to truly get a feel for that RV. Visit owner's forums for some perspective, http://www.irv2.com/forums/ has Owners Forums near the top of the page and a search for the unlisted will get you more. See that the two of you continue to discuss what you like in an RV and why, where you'd like to travel, and how you'd like to camp. Floorplans vary mildly, spec sheets vary greatly, yet the appliances in the travel trailer world are nearly the same for everyone. If history can be a teacher, you will become enamored with more than one only to find enough fault with it later to remove it from the list. Viewing pictures and videos as well as comparing weights and figures will take you far, but getting into the RV will be very revealing. Good Luck! Happy Trails! And ask questions :)

If you are new to the RV experience, I suggest that you consider joining the RV Consumer Group and take advantage of the information supplied to their members. RVs are available in a very wide range of prices and quality. The best quality RVs will cost far more than the cheapest ones and they will also weigh much more. If you have in mind one of the towable RVs then you need to match the RV weight to the capabilities of the vehicle that you plan to tow with. If you are thinking of a motorized RV you need to consider the amount of weight you wish to carry with you as well as the space you want and the size of  RV. In both cases, the budget must also play a major part.