DRV accident

sclord2002

The one with the fifth coming detached? 

The hitch broke if I understand correctly.

FB has pictures.

Edited by Parrformance
added info

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

There was a bit of discussion around the campfire Sunday evening, at the ECR after party.  Looking at the pictures, it appeared that perhaps some of the laws of physics had been "stretched", causing an evasive manuever to go bad.  The jaw failure was pretty far downstream in the chain of events. Likely a "result" instead of a "cause".

That said, I wasn't in the pilots' seat.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

That's a major bummer right there....the stuff that nightmares are made of! Hopefully nobody got hurt. A friend sent me the that pic a few days ago and I wondered is it could have been prevented by a better understanding and inspection of the equipment.

Had a client a couple of months ago drop his 5th in my shop hooking up after I made repairs to the axles. I walked away to allow him to do his thing without me distracting him, but I did note he DID NOT do a tug test. I didn't say anything at the time as I'm really getting sick of the blow off I get from people when making suggestions regarding safety practices and proper equipment. Didn't even make it out of the before the 5th dropped on his aluminum bed........ I think it's safe to say he will add this to his hitching ritual.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

It happened on I-10 in Houston....on the west side of town near the West Loop (I-610W). I am not gonna arm chair quarterback the entire crash on here, but I am in complete agreement with Rick. The hitch failure was a result, not the cause...in my opinion. Our HDT's are wonderfully beasts, much more capable than a pickup but they do have their limits. 

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I guess the question will be whether or not the failure was defective parts or excessive forces that the hitch couldn't handle?

I have wondered how our 5th would hold up if my foot were to slip off the clutch on an uphill launch..........

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I know that my rig does not like uneven pavement. I can imagine that it could be a potential problem if I were to be too aggressive in getting "out of the rut".  The truck can wag the camper tail pretty severely if steering input is too aggressive. I hate that someone wrecked their camper and I hope no one was hurt.       Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

I seen it on FB and read all the comments. At the end he said they had a brand new Comfort Ride 308 on the way. My question is this. What hitch did he have before? Did he have the 245 and it was not big enough for his trailer? The 245 is rated at 24,000 lbs. I don't know what his trailer weighs but I do know just from shopping around any trailer 3 axles is going to be in the 20K area.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Anyone have link to FB post on this. I can't find it

I see it on the HDT group Facebook page, but not on Leon's page.  There was beginning to be some armchair quarterback style discussion of the photos he posted so he stopped comments on it for awhile.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

8 hours ago, jenandjon said:

I seen it on FB and read all the comments. At the end he said they had a brand new Comfort Ride 308 on the way. My question is this. What hitch did he have before? Did he have the 245 and it was not big enough for his trailer? The 245 is rated at 24,000 lbs. I don't know what his trailer weighs but I do know just from shopping around any trailer 3 axles is going to be in the 20K area.

Leon’s old hitch was a 308 with the tall pin box. 

He uses a Volvo to tow with. 

Edited by Hewhoknowslittle

GCTaaehl.jpg

15 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Leon’s old hitch was a 308 with the tall pin box. 

He uses a Volvo to tow with. 

That is good to know. He did have the right hitch.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:49 PM, Big5er said:

It happened on I-10 in Houston....on the west side of town near the West Loop (I-610W). I am not gonna arm chair quarterback the entire crash on here, but I am in complete agreement with Rick. The hitch failure was a result, not the cause...in my opinion. Our HDT's are wonderfully beasts, much more capable than a pickup but they do have their limits. 

You would be wrong in your opinion and assumption Sir. Let the facts come out. But I can tell you for fact you are incorrect.

1 minute ago, mrchips said:

You would be wrong in your opinion and assumption Sir. Let the facts come out. But I can tell you for fact you are incorrect.

So you have actually examined the trailer, truck, hitch and sidewinder? I wouldn't have thought you could have examined all of them, did a structural analysis, had the various materials tested in a lab for adherence to ASTM and ANSI standards in this short period of time.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Easy on the barb throwing.  

Surely there is a message of the importance of safety in our activities of towing these big trailers down the highways.  Even with the greatest attention to safety and SOPs, ACCIDENTS do happen, and sometimes others can influence the outcome.  We can learn many things to help each of us by listening to the comments of others, as our individual circumstances are unique to each of us.

Marcel

On 5/12/2019 at 5:12 PM, mrchips said:

Sir? Wow, I thought that was my dad's name. So tell me mrchips, exactly what did I say that was incorrect?  
{This I gotta hear...)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo