Lost in no Job world

Lance

Good evening,

We're new Fulltime Rvers, I am Lance and my wife Kate are trying to figure out the whole working on the road. 

Lance is a medically retired veteran. He has a Master Degree in Homeland Security with an extensive background in security training and languages and much more.

Kate is a teacher with a Master Degree in Elementary Mathematics with many years of students teaching. 

We have applied to many positions on multiple platforms but got no responses or some shady responses, neither option was helpful. 

So I am reaching out to see if there's anyone here that could give us some tips? advice? anything? 

We are also starting our blog in hope to utilize it as an income generator, so any tips on that would help as well. 

thank you for your time in advance. 

4 hours ago, Coleen said:

What kind of work are you hoping to find?

Ideally something that can utilize our education, but we are open to anything that is not a slap in our face with minimum wage. Anything in mind? 

20 hours ago, Lance said:

Ideally something that can utilize our education, but we are open to anything that is not a slap in our face with minimum wage.

Most work-camping positions do not pay very high rates but they do supply your RV site & utilities and often some additional amenities. There are seasonal jobs that pay more such as working in the sugar beet harvest, or doing Christmas rush work at an Amazon fulfillment centerSee's candy sales help, pumpkin patch & Christmas tree sales, and several other seasonal rush positions. The links that I have listed are just a few quickly available examples as there are many others and most of them advertise with the magazine Workamper News

Since you are Escapees, check out the Escapees Job Exchange first.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

19 hours ago, Lance said:

Ideally something that can utilize our education, but we are open to anything that is not a slap in our face with minimum wage. Anything in mind? 

We have all sorts of info on our website, from working as a casual longshoreman in Alaska to doing gate guard work in the Texas oil patch, from working for specialty temp agencies to substitute school teaching. I don't know what would be suitable for you, but there sure are lots of options out there!

Coleen Sykora

Escapees Life Member #19747

Workers On Wheels

There are many volunteer jobs in National and State Parks that, although they are non paying, do give you a free campsite and hookups. You can find them on volunteer.gov. Also there are paying jobs on workcamper.com. Also as mentioned above Escapees has a job board. KOA also has a job board for KOA Campgrounds and most are paying jobs with a campsite. Additionally you may be able to find temp positions like doing tax returns during tax season at H&R Block or Jackson Hewlett or retail employment during Christmas season etc. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

The way I read his initial and follow-up posts, Lance does not appear to be looking for a workamping job.  Seems more like he wants a security-related job and his wife is looking for a teaching position.  

The vast majority of workamping jobs are (state) minimum wage or less.  Yes, some pay more.

1 hour ago, remoandiris said:

The way I read his initial and follow-up posts, Lance does not appear to be looking for a workamping job.  Seems more like he wants a security-related job and his wife is looking for a teaching position.  

The vast majority of workamping jobs are (state) minimum wage or less.  Yes, some pay more.

I am mostly interested in working online positions. I am researching a few and working on a building a few others. 

any leads on online work for me would be appreciated. 

Kate, did take those jobs consideration and she applied for a few of them. 

You both have high qualifications.  You'll need to be stationary for a teaching job and probably for any good paying job.  Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

10 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

You both have high qualifications.  You'll need to be stationary for a teaching job and probably for any good paying job.  Good luck!

We don't mind stationary in the right areas. 

17 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Most work-camping positions do not pay very high rates but they do supply your RV site & utilities and often some additional amenities. There are seasonal jobs that pay more such as working in the sugar beet harvest, or doing Christmas rush work at an Amazon fulfillment centerSee's candy sales help, pumpkin patch & Christmas tree sales, and several other seasonal rush positions. The links that I have listed are just a few quickly available examples as there are many others and most of them advertise with the magazine Workamper News

Since you are Escapees, check out the Escapees Job Exchange first.

Kirk, 

It seems that the Escapees Job Exchange does not get job postings often, or did I miss something? 

I remember applying for remote jobs on there before and got no feedback what so ever. I see the jobs are still posted as of today, and it is showing that I have applied to them before. 

I will keep an eye on future jobs. 

2 hours ago, Twotoes said:

There are many volunteer jobs in National and State Parks that, although they are non paying, do give you a free campsite and hookups. You can find them on volunteer.gov. Also there are paying jobs on workcamper.com. Also as mentioned above Escapees has a job board. KOA also has a job board for KOA Campgrounds and most are paying jobs with a campsite. Additionally you may be able to find temp positions like doing tax returns during tax season at H&R Block or Jackson Hewlett or retail employment during Christmas season etc. 

We will check out the KOA. 

Thank you 

7 hours ago, Lance said:

It seems that the Escapees Job Exchange does not get job postings often, or did I miss something? 

That function has been added since we stopped doing RV work so I'm not current on it. I would post my profile as they suggest there as it sure can't hurt anything. I have used Workamper News so know that it is current and I just got the other links yesterday so I know those are current. I have known several people who have worked at each of those positions and they put in long hours for a short period and make a lot of money very quickly by doing so. Yet another way to make your money in a short but intense work period is to manage a fireworks stand for one of the companies seeking help. A great deal depends on what you want to do from the RV. If you only want to live in it but not travel, then I would suggest that you look for something in the fields that each of you have experience in but what I have listed are positions to make travel money quickly so that one can then resume traveling about the country to see new places and have new experiences. We didn't do much paid work while we were on the road but did a lot of RV volunteer positions that supplied us a site and utilities for 3  or 4 days work each week and then we used the other time to see everything in a 100-mile radius. 

The national parks also use a large number of seasonal workers and you both might enjoy working as seasonal park rangers. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 1 month later...

I have not made the leap to the RV lifestyle yet, in part because I have to find some viable income streams to supplement any work camp opportunities.  Anyhow, I have found some websites that have legit online jobs in all types of categories that include everything from Tech, Legal, Administrative, HR and then I found a couple of other websites that might be lower level but still better than minimum wage.  Just sharing so others who may be interested can check them out.  Some jobs are freelance, others are FT with benefits but ALL of them are online.

Hopefully this helps a few people.

https://www.toptal.com/

https://www.workingnomads.co/jobs

https://www.fancyhands.com/dashboard/#/ 

https://www.zirtual.com/jobs

https://join.itutorgroup.com/#/