Mounting water tank on truck

KWT660HDT

Hi all - I am wondering if anyone has successfully mounted a water tank behind the truck sleeper on top of the frame. 

There are 250 gallon water tanks that are approximately 4 feet square sitting on a two way pallet with an aluminum frame all around the tank.

i’ve seen a few of these mounted on hdt’s over the years and I always figured they weren’t strong enough for dynamic water loads from driving... but it appears they are strong enough to be stacked one on top of another full of water so I wonder if anybody has done it and have you run into any issues.

I don’t have any room for mounting extra tanks to the sides of the frame so it has to go on top.

I would probably sit the tank on a steel platform and strap it down to the truck frame with some transport grade tie downs run over top of the water tank.

Thanks 

Edited by KWT660HDT

2013 KW T660

485HP, 18 speed & locking tandems

2015 XLR 45' Toy-hauler

If you are talking about IBC totes, they are rated for liquids with high specific gravity so water is not an issue.    The big considerations  are, do you have the space, front axle weight and,  swing clearance?

Your truck seems to be tandem axle so space and swing are prob not an issue, how much does your front axle weigh unloaded?      Volvo's are really heavy on the front axle, a T660 with an ISX and 18 not so sure ?

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I have a 300-gallon IBC tote on the back of my truck for water while boondocking. Its been there for over a year no issues. It's not permanent. When I build my bed I will be working in 100 or so gallons of fresh water storage. But this is what I have now. I have spent 21 days off-grid showing every day, several loads of laundry and even did a bunch of pressure washing and came home with water leftover.

20180718_102303-small.jpg

Edited by Imurphy907
added picture

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

3 hours ago, KWT660HDT said:

Hi all - I am wondering if anyone has successfully mounted a water tank behind the truck sleeper on top of the frame. 

There are 250 gallon water tanks that are approximately 4 feet square sitting on a two way pallet with an aluminum frame all around the tank.

i’ve seen a few of these mounted on hdt’s over the years and I always figured they weren’t strong enough for dynamic water loads from driving... but it appears they are strong enough to be stacked one on top of another full of water so I wonder if anybody has done it and have you run into any issues.

I don’t have any room for mounting extra tanks to the sides of the frame so it has to go on top.

I would probably sit the tank on a steel platform and strap it down to the truck frame with some transport grade tie downs run over top of the water tank.

Thanks 

Those are shippable liquid containers.  All sorts of different liquids are in them and they are shipped by truck all over the country.  I think it will handle what you are trying to do.

Marcel

Thanks Steve - IBC tote yes that’s the one wasn’t sure what they were called.

Yes I have tandems and lots of space with the fifth wheel mounted over the rear axle. Front axle has capacity to spare. The paltry 2500lb pin weight from my trailer barely registers on the front axle with the 244” wheelbase

Thanks to everyone for the input

2013 KW T660

485HP, 18 speed & locking tandems

2015 XLR 45' Toy-hauler

On 5/3/2019 at 9:48 AM, 2gypsies said:

Wow!  How do you handle the grey & black if you stay until 300 gal of fresh are gone?

Depending on where we are and what time of year we use a kiddy pool to drain grey and let it evaporate. One place we camp has a convenient dump station but no power or water. And on work trips, We will hire a porta potty company to come out and take the black and grey but they have no way of bringing fresh water.

When I build the bed I want to work in waste tanks too. I already have a flow jet.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

1 hour ago, Imurphy907 said:

We will hire a porta potty company to come out and take the black and grey but they have no way of bringing fresh water.

A tank's a tank. Give her a good rinse, good to go.😁😝

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.