Tailgate Question

scruff

How many of you have issues with tailgate clearance while hooking up or unhooking?

I'm asking about distance from camper to the gate. With my new f350 8' box, factory puck set up, I have about an inch and a half clearance when I'm straight on. Having to pull under so far, exit the truck close gate, jump back in,  finish backing under is getting old, reverse order while unhooking . Anyone using a drop gate? Can a guy just disconnect factory backup camera and install drop tailgate? Metal gates I assume are better than the plastic ones?Any other options?

I have a 2017 f350 and yes it is tight. And just enough for me to see if I am in line with the slot. 

But I usually wait to hear the termination click of the hitch before I close the gate and lock it all down. 

This truck, I'm told, is a few I inches longer and higher than my 2015 f350. 

I myself can live with it and wouldn't want to alter anything to allow access to my gear in the bed. 

Kimberly Flores, Trail Boss and Wagon Master
Jesse Flores, Coxswain, Shotgun Shipmate
Wagon mates: Cinnamon, Mini Schnauzer
2017 F350 Lariat Dually
2018 Keystone Fuzion 371 Toy Hauler
LovetheRVlife.com

I have a 2019 F350 XLT, diesel, crew cab, long bed, 4X4, with puck system and I was surprised that with the hitch in the middle of three settings it is 6 inches above truck rail. I did buy one of those tail gates, the plastic one which has metal under the plastic, which I don't have to put it up or down.

whj469, did your 350 have the tailgate camera?  Are you able to use it with your v-gate? Or did you just unplug it? I'm thinking of getting one, and just installing while I have the fiver on, providing I can without to much issue. Mine is a 2019 f350 xlt lariat, 4x4, super cab ,8 foot bed, dually, gas, and with the factory puck and Reese hitch setup. I had to go to top hole on the hitch to get bed clearance for my camper, then I was nose high on the camper, so taller rims and tires, 215/15's to 235/16's leveled it up. Oh the joys, of toys!

With my 2013 short box chebby, I could back under hook up and go! Plenty of clearance, but was a little over weight on the rear axle.

Edited by scruff
spelling

Of the two pickups I owned, neither would turn sharp with tailgate down. Just nature of the beast. I got tired of clearance issues and installed a hauler bed. Much to my surprise I really liked it. Even believe if I ever buy another, first mod will be the bed. It is just so much more useful. And the storage boxes big plus. But wouldn't trade my HDT for one. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 2 months later...

Just got back from a three week trip with the truck and camper. Hooking up the camper while the gate was down wasn't as bad as I was thinking, just had to be straight on. Twelve stops loading and unloading camper, and all went well, so no real need to swap tailgate (for a drop gate) or worries about moving the camera from one gate to another.