Reasonable places to snowbird in Arizona

Cheryl

This will be my second winter snowbirding.  Last winter, I stayed in Florida but want to explore the west coast in Spring so will stay in Arizona.  I want to visit all National Parks and intend to stay 3 months during winter months in AZ.  I'm trying to choose 3 different places in that state for a month each.  I am concerned about safety to close to Mexico.  It seems most places charge about $800/mo.  I have no pets.  Suggestions? 

Cheryl, in the Yuma area there are many places with amenities that are well below your figure. And if you don't want amenities in the parks there are parks even less. Also, there RV lots out here in the Foothills, on the east side of Yuma, that are privately owned that go for $275 - $400. This is our 15th winter in Yuma. There isn't a security problem here. I was just down to Mexico this AM for an adjustment to my temporary dental plate.

Understand that if you want to stay in the Phoenix area during the month of March, get a reservation NOW!   March is Spring Training month and the valley is full.   

What do you like to do, want to see.   We spent several years bouncing around Arizona in the winter, spending 2 weeks at a time before we settled on the Phoenix area and on Mesa.   Mesa probably has more RV parks than any other city in Arizona.   And if you don't mind driving just a little, Apache Junction has a lot of them at slightly cheaper rates.

Lots of people spend time in Tucson, lots in Yuma (though the draw of Yuma has always escaped me), lots out in the area around Quartzsite on  BLM land,  Lake Havasu area, Casa Grande, Benson, etc.   Just depends upon what you want to see/do.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I'd recommend an Escapee RV park in Benson - Saguaro.  A month rent is $365 + electric.  It's a beautiful,  immaculate, friendly park with large lots and a very active clubhouse.  There's lots to see in the area:  Chiricahua Nat'l Monument, Tombstone, Bisbee (do the mine tour), Kartchner State Park (tour the caverns), Sierra Vista (very nice canyon hikes) and you're close to Tucson for day trips: Saguaro Nat'l Park, Desert Museum,  Titan Missile Museum and awesome hikes.

http://skpsaguaro.org/ratesregulations.html

They don't take reservations but if you can be there by the first week of January you'll get a spot.  Better yet, plan to be there Dec. 1 and enjoy the many holiday activities.  It's a great place to have Christmas dinner shared by everyone. 

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Desert Trails just outside of Tucson is far less than that and is a wonderful park full of activities, music and great friends. And it's  not your typical paved parking lot parks you find around Phoenix. Tucson is full of culture if that is your thing, too. And far less traffic.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Visited AZ for the first time last Fall...X2 Saguaro in Benson for at least a month of any snowbird itinerary. Truly a friendly place to stay with a very nice clubhouse (no pool or sauna). I'd then move to Tucson for a month and up to Mesa area to round out a great winter. Golden Sun in Apache Junction is a smaller park with a nice pool, clubhouse, pickleball courts, walkable/bikeable to shopping/downtown district and off major highways so quieter. Also very friendly group.

$800 a month is a "resort" type park. If that is what you are looking for. We stay in the Phoenix area for $540 a month. That just went up, due to significant upgrades, from $400 a month(we have been there 12 years at that price). Not happy with the significant price increase so this coming winter we will be looking for a different place. Past history shows that they don't do price increases very often.

For your budget you should be able to stay anywhere you wish in AZ! Some locations that we have stayed and enjoyed have been Apache Junction, Lake Havasu City, Yuma, Tucson, and Benson. I suggest that you start by looking through the reports from Campground Reviews for each of those areas and also check each on the internet for tourism activities, comparing them to what you enjoy. Each of these areas have many choices for snowbird parks and much to do, ranging from water sports to desert exploring. You may even want to check out Quartzsite as they have both boondock sites and RV parks. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Escapees Parks located in Benson, casa Grande, Congress, and Yuma are all very inexpensive and allows you the opportunity to move every month as you stated are your desires and not break the bank. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

You might check out the website for Silverado RV Park, Eloy, AZ. Friendly people, lots of activities, clean, closed gated at night and almost equal distance between Phoenix and Tucson. Cass Grande only 10-15 minutes away. I expect to be back in January. Very reasonable, pictures and rates on the website. 

On 4/30/2019 at 9:05 PM, theeyres said:

Desert Trails just outside of Tucson is far less than that and is a wonderful park full of activities, music and great friends. And it's  not your typical paved parking lot parks you find around Phoenix. Tucson is full of culture if that is your thing, too. And far less traffic.

X2 on Desert Trails & Tucson! We spent ten winters at Desert Trails and only stopped because we built a winter home in the area. Reasonable prices, great residents and friendly owners.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

42 minutes ago, Dennis M said:

X2 on Desert Trails & Tucson! We spent ten winters at Desert Trails and only stopped because we built a winter home in the area. Reasonable prices, great residents and friendly owners.

Roughly how big are the sites?  I hate having the neighbor's hookups next to the bottom of my stairs.

11 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

Roughly how big are the sites?  I hate having the neighbor's hookups next to the bottom of my stairs.

They vary alot. Most are quite nice and reasonably  spaced. We never felt cramped and always had space for a 10' square pop up that I used for my shop or craft room.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

40 minutes ago, theeyres said:

They vary alot. Most are quite nice and reasonably  spaced. We never felt cramped and always had space for a 10' square pop up that I used for my shop or craft room.

Use Google Maps to see the park.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

19 hours ago, theeyres said:

Thanks.  I'm guessing the earlier one arrives, the better chance to choose a nice space.