Storing spices

MrsSquid

2 hours ago, MrsSquid said:

I am curious as to what people use to store spices.   Do you keep them in a rack or carousel, in a cabinet or drawer? There are so many options.

It varied from one rig to another. One had a built in spice rack so that was a no brainer. In one I had a pull-out pantry so they went on a shelf in it. In one I put all my spices into a clear-sided shoe box so I could more easily lift the whole thing out of a drawer when cooking. Like you said, "so many options.". 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have a drawer full of spices and seasonings. And, those that don't fit in the drawer go in the kitchen cabinet, along with the dishes. Sure, I could get by with just a few basic seasonings. But, we like to experiment with our cooking and eating, so we use a lot of different seasonings. I prefer to keep them in a drawer or cabinet so that they are not in the light, and so that they are not near the heat and moisture from the stove top or other cooking appliances.

Coleen Sykora

Escapees Life Member #19747

Workers On Wheels

• 4 months later...

For spices, we have the IKEA drawer organizer and canisters in a cabinet, they're a good size. Keeping them in a cool, dark place preserves the flavor & intensity longer. I buy bulk and keep the extra that won't fit in the shakey bottle in a zip loc.

Not all those who wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2019 at 5:59 AM, MrsSquid said:

I am curious as to what people use to store spices.   Do you keep them in a rack or carousel, in a cabinet or drawer? There are so many options.

Keep your spices tightly covered and store them in a cool, dry place. Whole spices stay fresh for up to 2 years while ground spices have a 6-month shelf life. Store red spices, such as paprika and red pepper, in the refrigerator. They will hold their color and keep their flavor longer.

• 1 month later...

YouCopia Spice Stack is what I use. The 18-spice one fits nicely in your cabinet. 
if I could figure out how, I would post a link to one on Amazon. Unfortunately I can’t seem to, sorry!  They also make bigger ones if you need one. I fit more than 18 spices, by using the older type of baby food jars. 

I can tell you one thing to definitely not do; placing the rack above the range is bad, bad, bad.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 7 months later...

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Just for grins, look up storage recommendations for ground spices. Surprise, surprise, the recommendations are not RV friendly, especially about light and temperature degrading spices.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

Just for grins, look up storage recommendations for ground spices. Surprise, surprise, the recommendations are not RV friendly, especially about light and temperature degrading spices.

If you mount those racks on the inside of a cupboard or pantry you wouldn't have a light problem.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 8/31/2020 at 11:51 PM, sandsys said:

If you mount those racks on the inside of a cupboard or pantry you wouldn't have a light problem.

Linda

That just leaves the temperature storage range to control.

17 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

That just leaves the temperature storage range to control.

When we lived full time in a motorhome we always controlled the temperature, anyway, for our own comfort so I don't see spices being upset by temperature. Humidity, maybe, depending on where you are traveling.

Linda

We found the older we get the less we cook via recipes.  We eat very simply  - the most involved are soups. Therefore, the spices get old before using much of them.  Buying a big spice rack would be wasteful for us.  Now we just buy a few basic ones, date them and replace those after a year or so.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel