External Hard Drive for DISH 211 Z - GOOD NEWS.

After reviewing the Dish Network Website regarding adding an EHD to my 211 Z receiver, I decided to give it a try.

The DISH instructions say the hard drive must be between 0.5tb and 2.0tb, and must conform to USB 2.0 standards, and must be externally powered and not rely on the USB to provide power to the unit.

Here is my experience: 
I found  the availability of powered EHDs to be outdated technology and now almost non existent. I could only find one unit (MY BOOK) and it was 1 tb and about the size of a paperback book. It seems almost all the EHDs being made today are quite small, only USB powered, and comply with USB 3.0 standards. So, I purchased a Seagate Portable 2 tb  USB 3.0 compliant EHD from Amazon  SEAGATE PORTABLE  USB 3.0 2tb EHD for about $65. It is not much larger than a credit card. It seems the 3.0 USB is backward compatible with the USB 2.0, and that this unit has sufficient USB power to work with the receiver without an external power source. I just powered down the receiver, (pressed the power button on the remote), plugged the included USB 3.0 cable into the EHD and connected it to the 211 Z USB port, and when I pushed the power button on the receiver to turn it back on, it found the EHD and gave a number to call DISH to have it authorized. There is a one time fee of $40 which I had to agree to (to be added to my next bill).

After that, the DISH tech started the process, and the screen started downloading the authorization, and formatting the EHD. If there had been anything already recorded or otherwise entered into the EHD, it would be erased when formatted. It took about 30 minutes or so for the process to complete, and when finished, the EHD was installed and working. As a bonus, I found the Program Guide had been extended from the normal 2 day guide of the 211 Z to a 9 day guide, which makes it much more usable. It also allows scrolling back, pausing etc. on live programming similar to the other DISH receivers. 

I can't guarantee all the newer USB 3.0 EHDs will work, but they probably will if between 0.5 tb and 2.0 tb, but this Seagate unit worked for me. I''m pretty sure that most non powered USBs will work if plugged into a powered USB hub connected to the 211 Z. if necessary.

The only drawback is that as the 211 Z is a single tuner receiver, it cannot record one program while watching another, but I can live with that.

If you have the optional OTA adapter, you can record sat and OTA programs at the same time, and even watch a pre-recorded program at the same time.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

7 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

K5RCD- 

Thanks!  I have a Hopper, but don't have DVR capability.... I don't think.  I'll look into this.

A Hopper is a DVR with multiple tuners.  The dish is built in.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

2 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

A Hopper is a DVR with multiple tuners.  The dish is built in.

I'm sure you meant the hard drive is built in...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

10 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

K5RCD- 

Thanks!  I have a Hopper, but don't have DVR capability.... I don't think.  I'll look into this.

I have the Hopper3 and it will record up to 16 shows at once with build-in DVR. I can't even begin to imagine using all 16 at once but at least for now I NEVER have a recording conflict like I did with the VIP722.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

There used to be a one-time charge for turning a VIP211 into a DVR, $40 as I remember.

Yes I meant disk, the eyeballs are getting tired.

Edited by Mark and Dale Bruss

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/26/2019 at 5:46 PM, K5RCD said:

After reviewing the Dish Network Website regarding adding an EHD to my 211 Z receiver, I decided to give it a try.

The DISH instructions say the hard drive must be between 0.5tb and 2.0tb, and must conform to USB 2.0 standards, and must be externally powered and not rely on the USB to provide power to the unit.

Here is my experience: 
I found  the availability of powered EHDs to be outdated technology and now almost non existent. I could only find one unit (MY BOOK) and it was 1 tb and about the size of a paperback book. It seems almost all the EHDs being made today are quite small, only USB powered, and comply with USB 3.0 standards. So, I purchased a Seagate Portable 2 tb  USB 3.0 compliant EHD from Amazon  SEAGATE PORTABLE  USB 3.0 2tb EHD for about $65. It is not much larger than a credit card. It seems the 3.0 USB is backward compatible with the USB 2.0, and that this unit has sufficient USB power to work with the receiver without an external power source. I just powered down the receiver, (pressed the power button on the remote), plugged the included USB 3.0 cable into the EHD and connected it to the 211 Z USB port, and when I pushed the power button on the receiver to turn it back on, it found the EHD and gave a number to call DISH to have it authorized. There is a one time fee of $40 which I had to agree to (to be added to my next bill).

After that, the DISH tech started the process, and the screen started downloading the authorization, and formatting the EHD. If there had been anything already recorded or otherwise entered into the EHD, it would be erased when formatted. It took about 30 minutes or so for the process to complete, and when finished, the EHD was installed and working. As a bonus, I found the Program Guide had been extended from the normal 2 day guide of the 211 Z to a 9 day guide, which makes it much more usable. It also allows scrolling back, pausing etc. on live programming similar to the other DISH receivers. 

I can't guarantee all the newer USB 3.0 EHDs will work, but they probably will if between 0.5 tb and 2.0 tb, but this Seagate unit worked for me. I''m pretty sure that most non powered USBs will work if plugged into a powered USB hub connected to the 211 Z. if necessary.

The only drawback is that as the 211 Z is a single tuner receiver, it cannot record one program while watching another, but I can live with that.

I've wanted to do the external hard drive thing for a number of years. After reading this helpful post I ordered the Seagate unit for my 211 Z receiver. Got it activated and formatted, all well. Worked perfectly. Even set a couple movies to tape. Went out to the rig two days later and the receiver would not even turn on without unplugging the HD. Now it's working again but doesn't see the HD. Any ideas?

Thanks and regards.

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps now obsolete technology, but I have a I/O Magic 3.5" HD enclosure . It uses a brick for power instead of USB. I have a 1TB Seagate HD installed.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I did the external powered USB hub with my now sold Venue 11 Pro and other Windows tablets. My WD 1TB passport and several others work fine powered by the USB ports. But all brands make the external plug in drives:

Plug in external drives:

I have this one, it gas a power plug of its own: https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-Hard-Drive-WDBWLG0040HBK-NESN/dp/B00ODEGWN8/ref=sr_1_6?hvadid=78271603465607&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=external+desktop+hard+drive&qid=1582274921&s=electronics&sr=1-6

The Passport has some extra bells and whistles

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Desktop-External-Drive/dp/B01LQQHL4E/ref=sr_1_6?hvadid=78271603465607&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=external+desktop+hard+drive&qid=1582274773&s=electronics&sr=1-6

I could not do without my BlacX external drive dock. I have about 20 3.5" desktop and 2.5" laptop drives I use for storage. This USB 3 dock has its own power supply. https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-External-Enclosure-Docking-ST0005U-D/dp/B01I5RC6DS

Just Google "desktop external drives" and the results will include a few USB only powered drives, but most will be what you're looking for.

If you have some internal desktop and/or laptop drives lying around (or 20 or so like me) the Drive Dock will be your best bang for the buck.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire