Latest Military News

RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

rumpshaker.gif

Yes that is rump shaking.

Remo what branch did you serve in? I don't remember if you posted it.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Remo what branch did you serve in? I don't remember if you posted it.

28+ yrs USAF.  

3 service dress uniforms and 3 utility uniform changes with a plethora of smaller uniform changes mixed in; ASNP only on BDUs to ASNP with rank insignia on BDUs to no ASNP on BDU to ABU with no patches to ABUs with patches to morale t-shirts...jeez.  

Better, faster, cheaper?  Nope, just distractions.

Edited by remoandiris

Huah R!

I hear ya! Mine Jan 1971 to 1 Feb 1998 - 27 years Air Force With a break in service for college and AFRES duty 3 of those years. I started with wool blues and the heavy wool overcoat, 1505s and the dark blue long sleeve wool shirt worn with a tie and no jacket later replaced by the light blue short sleeve and long sleeve shirts.in basic all the way through to the first BDUs. Were you in early enough to remember the rip stop jungle fatigues? I had Mess dress for my tour teaching at the USAFA then  they changed it twice more.  MY last formal affair I wore the blues with white shirt and bowtie.

I held three career fields. Medic, Medical Laboratory Tech, and then I found a better way to draw blood with no aids risk - the M-16! And spent my last 19 or so years as a Combat Arms instructor CATM, starting when we were SAMTU (Small Arms Marksmanship Training Unit) I went from the .38 to the 9mm and the M-16 through the .22 adapter for training at Lackland, the various carbine combos and the M-60 to SAW as well as the XM-148 (junk) originally to the M203 and the MK19 grenade launcher. (machine gun if you will -300 rounds a minute.)

Hey! The desk jockeys can't spend all their time twiddling; fiddling at least looks busier so they fiddle with this and that. :lol:

I liked my era as an Airman through my first NCO status as a three striper before there were Senior Airman to being a senior NCO. The only bad thing is we were not allowed to go downrange as we were told we were more valuable processing the deployees and their weapons out and back in to check and inspect before they went to be sure of condition, and to check on the way back to make sure they were clean and oiled before they took them back to their unit armories. They eliminated the 753 career field and made us cops my last year with no option to cross train into something else. I left with a year retainability.

The only uniform change I objected to internally was when they forced us to doff our "Red Hats" and wear the blue beret, some angry CATM troops called the blue brain sucking sponge. They lost half our career field experience with those who chose to leave, more than I thought between 10 and 15 years in already. But regardless of the hat or uniform, for those us who stayed, we were still USAF NCOs.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I forgot, my Medical service whites started out as a smock that buttoned across the chest, then we got the short sleeve regular white shirts and pants. Blue belt and blue flight cap. From medic to guns, yes that is me shooting the MK19 at a Dutch heavy weapons open range, the blues are wool and my basic training graduation pic, top middle I am finishing re-barreling an M-16

JYTAeXul.jpg

Lots of uniforms and hats.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

FWIW, the Army will be getting new uniforms too, they IMO are retro-style of the WWII dress uniforms.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961