Another Death at the Grand Canyon

Zulu

22 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

People die everywhere.

And people also do stupid things everywhere. Visitors take foolish risks that are against the advice of the park rangers at every park in the country and most are lucky and live to tell of it. I'd bet there is at least one reader of this thread who has done this and likely will again.  🙄

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I’ve hiked the canyon several times. Always have seen a couple helo evacs daily usually involving dehydration in spite of signs being posted. A 2000 dollar plus helicopter evacuation is a good come uppance to carrying more water.Selfies have really accelerated the falls recently.......in spite of signs warning of the dangers. 

Maybe its an illiteracy thing.....can’t read the signs

Edited by Wrktfsh

We have been there 3 or 4 times over the years. People will risk their lives for a picture.It is not a fault of the rangers or the park.It is irresponsible people  doing irresponsible things. 

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Not saying I would ever die that way, mainly because I am not that fond of heights.  However, I've certainly done lot's of stupid things in my day, some of which should have killed me.  I rode motorcycles for 60 years, not always in the safest places or safest manner.  I ran into burning buildings while others were running out for almost 40 years.  Heck, I even traveled to Mexico a few times.  Wore a uniform and carried a rifle for Uncle Sugar for a couple of years.  Whatever.

Anyway, I guess I'd just as soon die in the Grand Canyon from a fall than sitting in a nursing home drooling into a diaper hoping someone comes along to change my depends soon.  Either way, end of story.  Thirty years from now, nobody will remember anyway.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 hours ago, Wrktfsh said:

I’ve hiked the canyon several times. Always have seen a couple helo evacs daily usually involving dehydration in spite of signs being posted. A 2000 dollar plus helicopter evacuation is a good come uppance to carrying more water.Selfies have really accelerated the falls recently.......in spite of signs warning of the dangers. 

Maybe its an illiteracy thing.....can’t read the signs

I don't know if it's still the same but when we volunteered at Lost Dutchman State Park there were multiple rescues from the mountain by helicopter and they didn't have to pay a thing.  Park rangers said folks go up there when its light & don't realize how difficult the climb is and then use their cell phone to call for help when it gets dark.  The park's hands are tied. They have to do a rescue, if needed.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Scientists have been studying the effects of heights on the human brain. Apparently some people feel an overwhelming urge to jump, when presented with heights. Scary. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Scientists have been studying the effects of heights on the human brain. Apparently some people feel an overwhelming urge to jump, when presented with heights. Scary. 

I’m one of those people!   It is a weird  feeling, not a death wish but a rush of adrenaline and wonder about the sensation.   That said, my balance isn’t what it once was, so I very careful about being near a fence, something to hang onto, , or I just stay way back.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 4/24/2019 at 7:59 AM, Kirk W said:

And people also do stupid things everywhere. Visitors take foolish risks that are against the advice of the park rangers at every park in the country and most are lucky and live to tell of it. I'd bet there is at least one reader of this thread who has done this and likely will again.  🙄

Yup, doctors can't treat death and stupid.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 2:32 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

Gee, I didn't know National Lampoon was still in publication.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:41 PM, Carlos said:

That's a case of late frontal lobe development. Sometimes it never fully develops. Nature has a plan, as Mark and Dale said.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

i believe if one (or group) breaks the rules, and needs a rescue (life threatening or not) then they should be required to pay the FULL cost.

including a money,  and jail time penalty. a ankle lock up works here. saves the tax payers money.  (pending the time, place, and nature of said event).

now if one (or a group) is going by the rules then no problem for them getting a free ride.