Destination Trailer - Will it hold up?

Hello all! New here with a question for my future!

So unfortunately I find myself in a divorce. I have 3 acres in Texas, on unrestricted land, with sewer and a well. I am torn between a park model home and a destination trailer. I love the idea of a destination trailer for its ease of mobility and cheaper price point. I am going to sell the land in approximately 5 years, and would love to sell my Destination Trailer at that point as well. However, until that time I will be living in the trailer full time! 

I'm curious as to the longevity of a destination trailer that will never be moved after it is placed on the land. Will it withstand five years of constant use? Or would a park model RV (tiny home) be more in my price range. I'm also curious about the depreciation of a Destination Trailer at the five year mark, and if it would be worth it as an investment. I'm tired of renting, and would like to actually own my home, plus why pay 950 dollars for an apartment when I could pay a heck of a lot less for a Destination Trailer or Park Model.

What do ya'll experienced RVers think of this idea? Good, bad? Thank you in advance!

RV's will depreciate and the value in 5 years will be only a fraction of today's value.  Park models also depreciate.  Years ago we purchased a used mobile home and fixed it up.  Mobile homes also depreciate but by buying used we were able to avoid most of the depreciation.  A mobile home for a stationary dwelling is more comfortable than an RV.  About the only way to avoid depreciation is a quality built home but that sounds as if it is not possible now.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

If you plan to sell the trailer with the land in five years, I wouldn't worry about mobility. In my youth I lived in a couple of better-quality mobile homes and what Randy says is true - much more livable. They're better insulated against the heat and cold and are much more spacious.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Sounds like you need a mobile home.  New ones are pretty spendy but you can find quality used ones fairly affordable.  Keep it up, make upgrades/repairs as needed like we did with one some years back and get your $$ back or even make a couple $$ when you sell it.  More room and more stable, IMHO.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I would suggest a good quality used 5th wheel which is usually better built that a travel trailer and have a lot more storage.  If you don't have a truck there are many people that move trailers.

You're in Texas so check out PPL Consignments.  We sold our motorhome through them and it was a very good experience and liked the way the company is run. 

Here are 3 5th wheels that are good quality although Newmar is excellent!  There are a lot more on their site above these prices. I just started with the lowest price & looked for quality.

2003 Nu-Wa Hitchhiker  $13,495

2008 Newmar Cypress $18,499

2004 Newmar Mountainaire $21,999 w/built-in generator which might be needed for when you're in one of those Texas storms :blink:

Good luck in your search and your future!

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/fifth-wheel?sortBy=price+asc&startIndex=24

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Water & sewer on the land but you didn't mention electricity. If not, I'd start with a bid for that. Our daughter was frustrated to find out what bringing in electricity would cost.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Just keep in mind that most RV manufacturers have the disclaimer "not for full time living".  Many think this actually means that they are not for full time RVing and traveling.  In reality what the manufacturer is saying is that their product is not intended to be placed on a lot and kept there year after year to live in full time.

In the OPs situation with a 5 year time limit it probably doesn't matter what gets put on the property as long as it is used and can withstand the elements.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I think the size of the mobile home and the insulation would be a really big factor, no matter where you are in Texas.  Any RV, including a 5th wheeler would have difficulty keeping you comfortable in the heat and cold.   I would not get talked into getting something really big, however, since you seem to be willing to live in a park model and your costs would be less for both heating and cooling in something small.  But then again, I would not get something too old, either. 

A mobile home would have better construction for things like kitchen cabinets and flooring, also.

Edited by Solo18

Welcome to the Escapees forum!!!

Since you have sewer, I would suggest a park model, mobile home, or tiny house which all have a direct connection to the sewer and standard toilet fixtures. Any RV will have holding tanks which you will need to allow to fill, then dump and flush. Problems occur if you leave the black tank open all the time.