where to get an alignment

GR "Scott" Cundiff

Our coach pulls to the right when driving and I think it needs a front end alignment.  I'm not clear on where to take it.  Most car shops can't handle a 39' diesel pusher.  I called a couple of places that do 18 wheelers and they both said they don't service motorhomes.  I'm not asking for a specific place, but what kind of shop do I need to look for?  Thanks.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I called our chassis builder and they sent me to JoSam in Orlando Florida since we were close by.  JoSam builds alignment equipment.  I also know that Redlands Truck and RV Service in Redlands CA does alignments on motorhomes.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Thanks for the suggestions.  We are traveling across I20 - in Mississippi right now.  I keep doing Google maps searches, looking at street view for shops with bays tall enough for us.  I have a few marked to phone tomorrow.  I really wish I could find a shop around Vicksburg where I could get it done tomorrow, but I've struck out at this point.

As I said in my post, I've called truck stops (added a couple today) that say they don't do motorhomes.  

DId find a place near Atlanta but that's a few days driving while pulling to the right for me and I'd sure like to get it done sooner.  

Again, I have a few spots to call that are along my route.

I was just kind of hoping I was missing something obvious rather than having to just keep calling and searching for a place to get it done.

I believe that era Safari, under Monaco as the builder, use the RR4R Road Mastermaster chassis? 

I'm sorry I can't recall from earlier posts when you were shopping for Class A's, if you ever determined if the RR4R chassis had been taken care of? The Roadmaster Chassis benefited with some After Market modifications, for handling issues. (And I believe I remember they had a Safety Recall too(?). 

Source Engineering has a kit that helps the RR4R:

http://sourcerv.com/trailing_arm

This kit is well thought of by those that have had it added. If this has not been added yet, and rear components are failing, you could get unusual ride and handling conditions. 

If not added, I'd put this on your radar, and have it installed - then do an 'all axle alignment' and a good chassis shop. If in that region, the mentioned JoSam(SP?) in Florida - has a great reputation. You might also want to call and talk with Source Engineering on what you are experiencing, they maybe able to confirm if a failing/failed rear suspension component could cause what your feeling. (And of course, if your coach has had the Kit installed - could easily be a simple front end knocked out of alignment by our wonderful freeways:)!)

If back in Souther California, I'd comparison shop on the phone between Redlands and Colton Trucks. Both you good equipment, and both do good jobs on alignments. But back 7-8 year ago - Redlands RV wanted over twice the amount to do the alignment vs Colton Trucks... I drover San Diego to Colton Truck for the alignment, and they did a great job. 

If in the Pacific Northwest, Eugene's Kaiser Brake & Alignment is also well regarded. Henderson Line Up and Brazel's also get positive feedback (Though I admit I can't recall if Brazel's does alignments too:)!). 

Travel safe, and keep enjoying your new 'roughing it' Safari - a fine coach to travel in:)!

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Our Safari had the trailing arms fixed a few years ago, prior to our buying it.

After calling probably 10 shops and getting "sorry we don't work on RV's" and one "our shop could handle your rig, but there's a big dip at our driveway and motorhomes tend to drag the rear end on exiting" I finally found a guy in Jackson, MS who not only will do the job, but who owns a Monaco himself.  He immediately started talking about the Roadmaster chassis and things to check to do a proper alignment. 

We changed our travel schedule to stick around the area till next week to get it done.

Tell you what, places that do motorhome alignment might be on every other corner in some places, but coming across I20, they are few and far between!

Glad you found someone to help you, and that knows Roadmaster's. Please ask his opinion of the 'fix' that was done. And if it was not the Source Engineering fix, his opinion on that kit. 

In the dusty corners of my memory, when researching to buy our coach now 9-11 years ago (Took a few years to find the one we went with:)!), I think I remember the RR4R recall was about as effective as the Norcold 1200's... I'd rather you research this and find out that my memory is wrong, and that you confirm with this gent that you have a solid Trailing Arm system on your coach. But if not - well, it's all about safety:)! 

Bumped into this thread about 5 minutes ago:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/trailing-arms-on-my-rv-440805.html

Again, hope all is well and that you just need a good alignment and off you go:)! 

Best to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Scott, in the future if you are in a strange area and have an alignment issue try calling the local school district or sheriff's office and ask them where they take their buses and/or large trucks.  There are several RV shops in SW Florida that will do an alignment but I found a truck/wrecker shop to do mine.  Their lot is always full of school buses being worked on and other government vehicles.  They also charged about half of what the RV shops wanted.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

9 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

Glad you found someone to help you, and that knows Roadmaster's. Please ask his opinion of the 'fix' that was done. And if it was not the Source Engineering fix, his opinion on that kit. 

In the dusty corners of my memory, when researching to buy our coach now 9-11 years ago (Took a few years to find the one we went with:)!), I think I remember the RR4R recall was about as effective as the Norcold 1200's... I'd rather you research this and find out that my memory is wrong, and that you confirm with this gent that you have a solid Trailing Arm system on your coach. But if not - well, it's all about safety:)! 

Bumped into this thread about 5 minutes ago:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/trailing-arms-on-my-rv-440805.html

Again, hope all is well and that you just need a good alignment and off you go:)! 

Best to you,

Smitty

Sounds reasonable - I'll ask him to look at the trailing arms and any other potential problems.

Our refrigerator was traded out a couple of years ago.  I wish they had put a residential in, but it is a new Norcold.  

Looking forward to getting alignment done - constantly steering back to the left takes the joy out of driving.

1 hour ago, FL-JOE said:

Scott, in the future if you are in a strange area and have an alignment issue try calling the local school district or sheriff's office and ask them where they take their buses and/or large trucks.  There are several RV shops in SW Florida that will do an alignment but I found a truck/wrecker shop to do mine.  Their lot is always full of school buses being worked on and other government vehicles.  They also charged about half of what the RV shops wanted.

That's a good tip - thanks and will keep it in mind.  That's the kind of info I was hoping for.  What I ended up doing was calling a possible shop and when they said they couldn't do it I asked them who would.  That would lead me to another place that was at least possible.

Do not go to Strouhalls. I had my front end aligned there and the cross tube was so rusted internally, there was no way they could have adjusted it. So they basically took my money. If you have air suspension in the front, there used to be a product by Donval that was a resrictor you placed in the lone. It is now sold here

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/RV-Suspension/Comfort-Ride-Control-Valves. You may have a leveling valve at each front corner, have them check these out as well.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

6 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

That's a good tip - thanks and will keep it in mind.  That's the kind of info I was hoping for.  What I ended up doing was calling a possible shop and when they said they couldn't do it I asked them who would.  That would lead me to another place that was at least possible.

Sometimes it is hard to figure out where to go for what when in an unfamiliar area.  Safe travels.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Have a total (4-wheel) alignment performed. I had our MH aligned last summer, the rear axle was out by 3/4", the front was out some on all 3 axis. Now the rest of the story, their alignment computer set incorrect specs for our Spartan chassis, I had to download the correct specs from Reyco-Granning/Spartan and have them repeat the alignment.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961