Bumper Pull Hitch

MikeShatt

Hello all,
has any one put a bumper pull hitch on their truck with out or before putting a bed on the truck?
what did you get, and where did you get it. looking to put one on asap.
Also did you have to relocate your license plate, or will you have to adjust something when you go to put a bed on it?
Thank you all for the advice.

The only ones i’ve seen sold for a bigger trailer are weld on hitches.  The frame configurations and obstructions require a custom fit.

ordering one will get you close, then just need some square tubing or angle to weld the hitch to, and bolt the whole thing on.

if you want a hitch NOW, buy a bolt on adaptable hitch that bolts to the top of the frame.  They are usually class iii i believe, so probably not good for a big trailer. Usually used to flat tow a car.

Etrailer, search for weld on hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Weld-On+Hitch&furl=-pg-Heavy_Duty_Truck_Hitch

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

I used a hitch off a '84 Chevy 3/4 ton truck that I junked.  It is a heavy duty hitch rated at 1600 lbs tongue weight/15,000 lbs towing.  The side plates were bolted to the cross bar.  Those came off and were given to RandyA.  I cut some 1/2 inch plate to replace it with enough drop to make the hitch a reasonable height.  As I remember, it had to be made narrower so it all got welded instead of reusing the bolt-on setup.  The receiver sits on a 2 x 4 thick walled rectangular tube cross-member for additional support. 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

As to tag placement, keep in mind how you're registered.  In Indiana for instance, a tractor or dump truck has the tag on the front, but a motorhome has it on the rear. 

Ohio has two tags, front and rear, but on a tractor the tag with the stickers goes on the front.

Get it right, so when that day comes where you're explaining to the gentleman in uniform why you're legal, you really are legal.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I concur with Rick,

My tag is on the back, where a tractor would have the plate on the front.

As for hitch, mine is a little overkill for your use but the idea is the same.     I bolted vertical plates to the back of the frame with diagonal braces.     I wanted it removable, the hitch plate bolts to the side frame. 

9ic5VHYl.jpg

nr0D1gll.jpg

EPy8lnCl.jpg

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

• Phil D changed the title to Bumper Pull Hitch

Hello,

I went with the Draw-Tite 4907 7" bracket kit and the Draw-Tite 41991 hitch. This is a Class V universal fit hitch that's specifically made for  heavy-duty and commercial vehicles with frames up to 62". The ratings are 16k lbs gross trailer weight and 1,600 lbs max tongue weight although it can be reinforced to handle more.

It's cheaper to buy the components separately then as a kit and all together I spent ~$130 for the hitch and about $15 in bolts.

I am in the design process. since the picture was taken I have changed my mind a little bit. I am going to extend the frame so the brackets will go straight down. That will be channel iron. The bumper its self is 8x8 tube 3/8 thick. I got a receiver tube that will be welded to the bottom of the bumper.

CdkAUX5l.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

25 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

I got a receiver tube that will be welded to the bottom of the bumper.

Any thoughts of cutting a square hole in the tube and welding the receiver tube into it? Aside from the added support, it seems like it'd be a "cleaner" look. 

It would have to stick out far enough to put the pin in.  That would be a PITS (shin).

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

23 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

It would have to stick out far enough to put the pin in.  That would be a PITS (shin).

A new hole could be drilled closer to the end flange, keeping it tucked neatly.

Hindsight is 20/20, I would put the hitch higher, and used a drop hitch If I had it to do over again.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

23 hours ago, Black said:

Any thoughts of cutting a square hole in the tube and welding the receiver tube into it? Aside from the added support, it seems like it'd be a "cleaner" look. 

Yea I though of that. I was going to put the lights into the bumper also. But, I decided to us the bumper for extra storage. I made end caps that clip on.

I will weld the tube to the bottom then weld some 1/4 inch angle on either side for extra support.

I was originally going to go with 4x4 tube or 6x6 but I got a whole pile of this 8x8 cheap enough at an auction. Most likely put some padding in there and store my big rod and reel in it.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.