Vibration between 40 - 60 mph

bigredhdt

Have had a slight vibration in the past even after front wheel balance.  Got new tires, 3 axle alignment, wheels were spin balanced.  Now the vibration is worse.  I did get a wider tire as I'm not a fan of Michelin.  Any other ideas of what could be the issue or what else to check?

Power on, trailing throttle, cruising? Feel it in the seat or steering wheel? Time to check drive line. Steady bearing, slip yokes, u-joints. Hard to diagnose over the web, but more info can help us narrow it down. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Also be sure hub is centered on lugs. Slightly off center can make a big vibration. Been there. I ended up with centering lug nuts on steers. Major improvement. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

22 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Power on, trailing throttle, cruising? Feel it in the seat or steering wheel? Time to check drive line. Steady bearing, slip yokes, u-joints. Hard to diagnose over the web, but more info can help us narrow it down. 

Power on and cruising, feels like both in seat and wheel.  If it is driveline why would it get worse with new tires?

I had a similar problem when I bought new steers several years ago.  One of the tires (firestone bought on sale at Speedco) was out of round.  I was shocked. Speedco replaced the tire at no cost. 

Had a similar problem with a motor home. Fixed that problem by having the tires spun balanced and trued on the rig.

May also want to have the steering mechanisms checked for wear....tie rods, ball joints ,king pin, drag link etc. if you have not done that yet.

52 minutes ago, bigredhdt said:

Power on and cruising, feels like both in seat and wheel.  If it is driveline why would it get worse with new tires?

Missed that. Listen to Suite. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

First thing I did was check front end for worn parts, replaced tie rod ends and one bearing in the front hubs, King pins are in good shape and aligned front wheels. Then back in Montana we purchased new tires. Test drove and it worked just like it should.

So we headed back to Florida for the winter. 100 miles down the road there was a noticeable problem. Wife said about it but the tires and everything looked good. And I needed to get south for work so we continued south. So late winter I had time to investigate the situation.

At this point I thought the hood would not be on the truck when we got back to Montana the next summer. So I found a dealer for the brand. I think they were YoKo. Not sure,but do have a record of them. Dealer said tire was out of round. Deflated tire and made sure the bead was centered. It helped, but the tire itself was out of round. Dealer was a joke , no new tire nor was one available Called manufacturer and a joke. Removed front bad tire and put spare tire on front. It was 75 percent better, so changed front other side steer tire and put it on rear axle. Rear axle tire went on front. Got back to Montana and dealer gave full money back and install Michelin steers.Test drove at 75 mph and it worked as it should. Still have them on the front after maybe 7 years .

Just a frustrating expierence,.  Vern

if you can jack one wheel of the ground at a time, then place something beside the tire and rotate the tire to see if it is not wobbling side to side. My bad tire was doing that and also had a dip in the tread when rotated.

Also look at the tire and there should be a rib just outside the rim on the side wall. It should have the same space all the way around the tire. Both inside and outside.

1 hour ago, Wrknrvr said:

First thing I did was check front end for worn parts, if you can jack one wheel of the ground at a time, then place something beside the tire and rotate the tire to see if it is not wobbling side to side. My bad tire was doing that and also had a dip in the tread when rotated.

This^^  I once had a new tire after a few short miles have a belt separate.   Jack up, have someone spin tire while observing from the front/back, any wobble from tire?  Tread run straight?  Any bubbles on inside/outside of tire?  Out of round albeit very slight?  If all checks good, have tire re-balanced.  It does happen, person that did job had too much, or not enough coffee?  Generally pretty easy to figure out if tire or suspension is the culprit. 

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Archived