Murphy's Law Proven Right Once Again

RandyA

After living with a prolonged leak from the horizontally positioned hydraulic pump on our fiver I decided to replace it with a vertically mounted pump and tank that I had robbed from the Cedar Creek after the fire in February 2018.  Of course, this required cutting off the original steel pump pedestal and a whole lot of other stuff that was in the way of a vertically mounted pump.   After a full day of effort, the new pump was in and replumbed.  Time to test!  As the front hydraulic landing jacks started to lift the front of the trailer I was greeted with an unwelcomed spray of red Dextron hydraulic fluid.  The hose leading from the pump to the right landing gear cylinder had ruptured.  I had a used hose from the old camper in the barn that was long enough to replace the ruptured hose.  Once again I attempted a test.  Hooray!  Both landing jacks descended and lifted the trailer off of the supporting cribbing of 4 x 4's.  Now to open the slides - bedroom, OK.  Kitchen, OK.  Main curbside slide, OK.  Entertainment Center slide....... it came in halfway and stopped.   The hydraulic line to this slide had ruptured.  It was 35 feet long and ran under all the very well attached and sealed belly panels.  (The center leveling jacks recently received new 5,000 psi hoses)  After yet another day's work opening the underside and determining that ALL the hydraulic lines were in poor condition I pitched them in the back of the PU and took off for the Parker Store.  Upon arriving, Barry told me they no longer stocked the plastic and fiberglass wrapped hose common to RV's.   My only choice was a rubber and steel jacketed 3,500 psi hose, which was OK with me.  Barry made all new hoses by matching lengths from the old, rotted hose.  Of course, I had neglected to drain the old hoses completely which resulted in pools of red Dextron all over his shop floor - which he had apparently just cleaned.  I offered to clean the mess up but he refused and proceeded to put down Oil Dry and wipe up spots with cotton towels.  There was nothing he could do about the red oil on his shirt and down his pants leg.  I thought this was probably going to cost me more in the end.  Fortunately, it did not.

It took a little over an hour to make up the needed hoses.  Even with the discount given to commercial business, I ended up paying $819.32.  This included a few extra fittings and a liquid filled pressure gauge to insert in the pump line.

Another day was spent putting the new hoses on, sealing up the belly panels and cleaning up.  This was three days that I had intended to use cleaning up the HDT.  It will arrive at the rally very dirty and without shiny polished wheel rims.

My point in sharing this?   Most all towable RV brands now use a Lippert pump, cylinders and hoses.  The OEM hydraulic lines in the majority of our fivers are the cheapest possible type or grade that Lippert could find.  They rot.  If kinked they are toast, the pressure rating is 2,000 psi.  My new gauge ticked over to 2,200 psi when I raised the landing jacks.  Be aware that these hoses are prone to failure - especially as we add on the years.  I shudder to think what I would have had to do if the failure happened somewhere other than back home.   Proactive replacement might be a good idea for fivers accumulating a few years of age.  One of the first signs of failure for these hoses is cracking of the outer plastic jacket.  I will bring a hose to the ECR for those that may want to see what I am sharing.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Were these the orange hoses, Randy? Ours have a Lippert rating of 3000 psi, but the rest sounds true to form. 5 years old, and replacement has begun.

ETA: I used 3500 psi rated, single wire wrapped rubber hydraulic lines. And I have another line weeping, waiting in the wings. 

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Yup, when one fails, replace all of those in that run or compartment.  It's so much easier.

We don't have hydraulic slides, ours are mechanical, but I've replaced more than my share of lines, and have the scars to prove it.  I have the cell number othe local hydraulics guy, and he answers on weekends......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Serplus Center, it might be supply, has hose in lengths of up to tirty feet and lots of adapters. They should be at least 3000 psi depending on size.of course you would have to plan ahead. https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Hose-and-Hose-Assemblies/Hydraulic-Hose-Assemblies/?page_no=4.  

Edited by Lance A Lott

8 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Were these the orange hoses, Randy? Ours have a Lippert rating of 3000 psi, but the rest sounds true to form. 5 years old, and replacement has begun.

ETA: I used 3500 psi rated, single wire wrapped rubber hydraulic lines. And I have another line weeping, waiting in the wings. 

We did not have any orange hoses on this camper.  Our Cedar Creek did have orange hoses on the low-pressure return lines.  I feel like Lippert may be pushing the rating on their hoses at 3,000 psi - maybe so but compared to the replacement 3,500 psi hoses like you used.....well, there is no comparison.

Lance,

Yes, the Surplus Center is a great source.  But, time waiting and added shipping may equal the cost of locally sourced hoses like I got at the Parker Store.  I have ordered hydraulic hoses from the Surplus Center previously and they were of good quality.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

• 3 weeks later...

One of my Bigfoot lines burst when we pulled into camp at Raton. I had to drive 125 miles one way to find a guy who could make me a fitting. Of course without a level trailer the large living room slide would not open. I had him make 2 so I would have a spare. Now if I could just remember where I stashed it ...

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.