Escapees Roadside Assistance Failure

Towboater

Today I got my truck stuck in my daughters yard. I knew it was wet from all the rain but I GOT 4X4, ha!  Anyhow, I thought I would call my Escapees roadside assistance for the first time since I was only 75' from a maintained road. When I called a very pleasant lady told me that my Heartland Motorhome was covered (I have a Heartland 5th wheel). but my truck wasn't covered. I said that is ridiculous, according to the Escapees website coverage is extended to all my personal vehicles.  I was put on hold multiple times while she tried to get my service request pushed thru. But after sympathizing with me multiple times she had done all she could do since the department she needed to contact only works Monday thru Friday. After a 19 min and 30 sec conversation I hung up and contacted a local wrecker service who showed up in 10 min and had me back on the road 10 min after that and $150.00 plus tax poorer.

When we had Good Sam they towed our 5th wheel to a KOA and dropped our truck off at a shop. Another time when our son was away at college they towed his truck to the dealer for repair. I thought I was going to get the same service when I switched. Did I do something wrong?

Yea . . . You asked for assistance . . . You're not supposed to do that . . .  Don't you know we just like to take your money  and that is it.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

We have some friends who had repeated issues with this very same problem. They were always told that only the fifth wheel is covered. Eventually they had it resolved every time but it just got to be a pain.

They switched back to another carrier after having to plead their case every single time they called for assistance.

I have had GS Road Service once tow the truck and fifth wheel to the Ford dealer then tow the trailer to a CG.  A couple years ago I had the truck stuck in wet leaves on an incline at our daughters and GS responded and towed us out of the leaves with no problems.  Anyways, GS responded to only a stuck truck.     Greg

Edited by Big Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Howdy!

I would hope that this problem get straighten out with Escapees ERS. I wanted to go with there ERS when it first came out to continue to support Escapees. Problem was I got so much conflicting information that I renewed with Coach Net for another three years. Yes it’s more expensive but I get what I pay for. It paid for itself last year when we blew the turbo on our MDT. CN towed our 5er to a campground and our MDT to the International dealer. Only question asked was where we wanted to be towed to.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

This is disappointing to hear, as our GS Roadside Assistance is up for renewal soon and I was considering SKP's.  The only two times we ever called GS Roadside Assistance was for the truck, and there was never a question regarding coverage. Guess I'll stick with them until SKP's get it sorted out. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

This thread is about Escapees road service, We had then for a few years with no problems in fact they pulled us out of the "Mud bowl " at the escapees rally in Missouri.We did change t o a different carrier at a later date for a better rate.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Hi there!

Out of curiosity, is your tow vehicle a medium-duty (or larger) truck with a sleeping quarters in it? I ask because VAS only covers one vehicle w/sleeping quarters per policy.

If that's not the case, let me know and we'll get with our liaison at VAS to see if we can address your complaint.

Communications Director

signature logo a.jpg

23 hours ago, Twotoes said:

How can a 5th wheel, which has to be towed by a truck, be covered,  but not the truck towing it?

Long story but..... we were going to Alaska & thought we'd be happier taking a small RV.  We bought a used older truck & 28' 5th wheel.  On our way we went through Death Valley and the truck broke down.  Our tow insurance was with a rider on our policy.  Lone Pine Towing came with 2 flat beds and towed both our vehicles - truck & 5th wheel -  to Lone Pine.

After repair we went back to AZ to unload everything and pack our 40' motorhome & Jeep which we should have taken in the first place.  We had absolutely no issues on our trip.

By the way, Good Sam and CoachNet don't own their tow trucks.  If you had one of those for your insurance and broke down in Death Valley you would have gotten the same tow company as we did by used a very cheap rider on our insurance.  If you tell them the equipment you need you'll get it.... doesn't matter about your insurance.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

10 hours ago, Georgianne said:

Hi there!

Out of curiosity, is your tow vehicle a medium-duty (or larger) truck with a sleeping quarters in it? I ask because VAS only covers one vehicle w/sleeping quarters per policy.

If that's not the case, let me know and we'll get with our liaison at VAS to see if we can address your complaint.

It is a Ram 2500 pickup that tows my 5th wheel wen not used as my driver

This is the response I received from Safe Ride:

I’m sorry you had an issue over the weekend, the rain has caused a lot of problems the last few days! Now if your pick-up was hooked up to your 5th wheel, the truck would have been covered for the winch out as a winch is only a service to free the RV. Your 5th wheel has more benefit coverage than the additional autos you are driving. The additional autos are covered for basic roadside only, towing to nearest qualified service, tire change, jump start, fuel delivery and a lockout. The RV is the vehicle that is eligible for winch outs, tire deliveries, mobile mechanic service, trip interruption and technical assistance. Please let me know if you have any other questions, we are happy to help.

My Response:

Ms. Madden:
  Thank you for your response too my inquire concerning your failure to provide the services as outlined in the Escapees roadside assistance application which state that "coverage for all dependents and vehicles". If I had needed some other assistance, tire, towing, fuel, etc. since I was in a rural area you would have used the excuse that you used which was the "truck is not covered" so I would be out of luck regardless. I work away for a month at a time and I had wrongly assumed that my Wife would have Safe Ride for added security if I was unavailable for assistance.
  You got me, but I believe that I have made enough people aware of your policy to circumvent your written word to the consumer that it will more than offset my loss.
  When you have time look up honor and integrity on your phone. You might learn something.

11 hours ago, richfaa said:

This thread is about Escapees road service, We had then for a few years with no problems in fact they pulled us out of the "Mud bowl " at the escapees rally in Missouri.We did change t o a different carrier at a later date for a better rate.

I thought that the current SKP offering of Roadside Assistance was a fairly recent development, like the last year or so.  Is the service you had "back then" the same as the current offering?

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I believe back then Escapees brokered Coach Net. Escapees no longer uses CN and is selling service with SafeRide. FMCA is also selling SafeRide. They all ( Couch Net, Good Sam, and SafeRide) use the same towing companies. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Send them a copy of your bill and a bill for an hours worth of work from an attorney to high light where in the contract it states that the TV is covered.  Not just covered when towing the 5th wheel.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

10 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

I thought that the current SKP offering of Roadside Assistance was a fairly recent development, like the last year or so.  Is the service you had "back then" the same as the current offering?

You are correct. Escapee Roadside Assistance is less than 1 year old.

I believe back then Escapees brokered Coach Net.

Coachnet was an endorsed company but they were never sold by Escapees so it is a different arrangement. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

12 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

I have no idea.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

It doesn’t matter how old the program is. There are enough templates for roadside assistance programs there should be no problems. To have a contract and they then change the terms willy nilly is u acceptable. I know I will stay with coach net for my plan. It is your choice, if I had this plan, I would be changing companies.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Towboater,

We have a friend who HAD Escapees Roadside and he managed to get his tow vehicle stuck and it wasn't attached to the RV. They received the same song and dance about not having any record of their other vehicles. After many many phone calls they were told by a supervisor that the truck was covered for a 100' tow if stuck. They didn't have to pay anything for it.

They continued to have issues after that though and ended up going with FMCA.

This is the end (I HOPE):

From Julie Madden

I see where you are coming from, I would be less than happy if I thought I had coverage and was told I didn’t. I took this up with my supervisor explaining the benefits are not clear, I asked that we make an exception and consider reimbursing you for the service you paid for. If you can please send me a copy of your receipt I will submit it to the claims dept. on your behalf and get the ball rolling.

My Response:

Ms. Madden
 Thank you for your response. I will copy and email invoice for your approval. I will also forward to the Escapees Forum that we have, from my perspective reached a favorable outcome.