How many of you in Escapees are actually part time? And why?

Roadtrek 1

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but, many people who are full time defend the "lifestyle choice" like they are in some "tribal council"... I've heard people who are say things to me like....you can't possibly "know" the true RV experience unless you are a "full timer"..... How's that? 

I don't care if you are a full timer or part timer... please do whatever you want....I happen to like the "part time" experience because I want to have a "home base" I don't have to move around...for me, it's easier....I know that many of the "full timers" will say that their home is wherever they are...and if this works for you, great....

So, tell me...are you full time or just a part time person and I hope you enjoy whatever experience you've chosen.

What do you think... majority of people are full or part-time in the Escapees Club? 

Again, there's no right or wrong answers here. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a part-time traveller for some 20 odd years even though my RV was my only home. I had a couple of motor homes, a 5th wheel and a travel trailer. I worked full time and travelled in my RV during vacations, planned breaks of up to a year between jobs and during one job where a fluke in the union contract let me take month long unpaid leaves of absence.  The rest of the time I lived in long term RV parks for a fraction of what it would have cost to rent an apartment.

Since I retired, my RV continues to be my only home and I have a permanent lot in an Escapees co-op park that I visit a couple of times a year for anywhere from a week to a month or two at a time.

Does that make me a fulltimer or a part-timer?  Who knows, I certainly don't care one way or the other.  ☺️

Edited by Lou Schneider

I guess all those years we had a tent camper or a VW camper we were part timers although we didn't think of ourselves that way. During part of those years we were members of the National Campers and Hikers Association and camped with that group once a month spring through fall. Also during part of that time we had a membership in Coast to Coast and camped at our home park frequently but didn't find their parks to be convenient when traveling. When we decided to go full time we discovered Escapees, joined this organization, and camped with this group at random intervals. When we moved back into an apartment I became a part timer again, going south for winters and making great use of a membership in a park that was part of the Colorado River Association. Now we are done with that type of traveling so we have no RV and no memberships. Life changes. All of it was good.

But, I agree that when we were part timers at the beginning we had no idea what it would be like to be a full timer. You simply cannot know what you have not experienced. You can know a lot about camping and traveling but you can't know what it means to not have a home base as long as you have always had one.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Since I retired, my RV continues to be my only home and I have a permanent lot in an Escapees co-op park that I visit a couple of times a year for anywhere from a few weeks to a month or two at a time.

Does that make me a fulltimer or a part-timer?  Who knows, I certainly don't care one way or the other. 

We do very much the same thing with a lot we own in south TX where we stay 6-7 months of the year.  But our motorhome is our only "home" other than the sewing room/TV room casita we have built on our lot. We very much consider ourselves full-time RVers.

I agree with the OP that there are some outspoken RVers, not all of whom are Escapees members, who would content that you can't claim to be a full-timer unless you are on the road truly "full time."  People like that I simply ignore. 😀

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Five plus years, and counting. No residence, but out fifth wheel. Wherever the jacks are down, that's where we're from. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Why do you care?   

You seem inordinately curious about what other people do. 

There are a lot of discussions around whether you truly can be full time if you have ties to a house.   I don’t think you can, but that’s just my feeling.  And that has nothing to do with part-timing, long timing, extended trips, etc.  people go in and out of phases throughout their time involved in RVing. 

We currently part-time and spend the winter in our park model in Mesa.  Of course, since a park model is still classified  as an RV, maybe we still are fulltiming.  But who cares, it works for us at our stage of life.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

My definition of a full timer is one who has NO S&B  and their RV is their only home 24/7/365.  We call ourselves long timers. We have a S&B. We are on the road most of the year. We have a lot in a HOA  in Florida and we winter there. We are now on our way home to our S&B for we do not know how long.  We all go to the same places and take the same pictures. Call yourself whatever pleases you and enjoy.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We are part time and sometimes long times.  We usually stay out for a few months but have stayed as long as 18 months.  Occasionally we only stay a week or two.  We have a S&B and some properties where we spend most of our time.  We also boondock but rarely stay in parks.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

5 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but, many people who are full time defend the "lifestyle choice" like they are in some "tribal council"... I've heard people who are say things to me like....you can't possibly "know" the true RV experience unless you are a "full timer"..... How's that? 

You must read a different forum than I do...    It is true that many here have reacted to your frequent criticism of the lifestyle, but never have I seen the part-time lifestyle criticized. As one who was a part-time RVer for 25+ years, followed by 11+ years of fulltime, then back to part-time again 8 years ago, I have no idea what you want or are asking, other than to try once more to stir up the forums. I suspect the membership here is probably close to half and half, but since the forums are free to everyone and we don't verify who lives in what way, that is only a guess on my part and others may well disagree on the mix and they are just as likely to guess right as I am. Add to that the fact that there is no clear definition for what constitutes fulltime, I really don't get your point. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't know or care how anyone else categorizes our lifestyle. We own a small lakeside vacation cottage in upstate NY that's been in the family since the mid 40's, and we also have a full hookup RV site on the property. We arrived here from our southern winter tour a couple of days ago to spend the Easter holiday with our nearby family and set up on our site. We'll probably stick around here for at least a few weeks while we catch up on medical appointments and help with the spring yard work before heading to Vermont to help a friend with spring planting. Oh, and of course we're still living in our motorhome just as we do the rest of the year. Does owning the cottage disqualify us as fulltimers? Your call, because we really don't care... ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Why do you care?   

You seem inordinately curious about what other people do.

ROTFL - "Roadtrek1" joined a discussion on which engine would be the preferred engine in an HDT - on the HDT forum.

He "chastised" the folks for THEIR choice of RV - and went to great length to explain what he has (Sprinter) is best.

Although several posters explained "different strokes for different folks" - he just doesn't seem to "get it".

Now for the Mea Culpa:  I suggested he return to the General RV information and ask how many folks full time, part time, etc. - which he took to heart....and apparently did so.

I should know better than to encourage a probable "troll" -  Sorry - My bad!

HDT forum........ "entertainment"?

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/135435-preferred-engine-tell-me-which-one-and-why/

☹️

Edited by Pappy Yokum
ty[po in link corrected

18 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

What do you think... majority of people are full or part-time in the Escapees Club?

I joined the Escapees when I was just an occasional RV'er. I sold my B&S Home and the RV became my Home for over a year until I remarried. Question, during that time was I full or part time?

Now my wife has a home which is home base during summer and fall so I'm a Part Timer.

Answering your question. At some time the majority of the Escapee's are or have been full time

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

How many of you in Escapees are actually part time? And why?

20 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

At some time the majority of the Escapee's are or have been full time

I think that is probably true, and to the second question, "why?" because it was what they wanted to do and it if their plans and needs. Asking why is rather like asking someone why they like red better than blue?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Feed the troll, here's a bucket for chicken feed for him.

image.png.82f6e8405291f3a3d54ec5ba9fae7e3d.png

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

20 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Escapees does a periodic survey. Seeing the results was not always a simple task for members or forum participants. There was a fairly recent post announcing a survey, but I don't recall the survey asking if the responder was an Escapees member or even requiring the responder to be logged into the forum to access it.

I would think we are full time. Have no stick or brick home. Just our Teton, truck and 2 cars. Do own property and plan on a building and concrete pad sometime but just haven't had time or desire to. Don't travel like some here, I still work full time. So stay in one spot till job ends. I am a welder and jobs are short term. So do you consider us full time? 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Well we are home at our S &B in Ohio today.  We were 6 months on our Florida  lot.We have been on the road since 2006 and are slowing down.We only have two functions planned this summer and both are rallies one in Nebraska and the other in Indiana. We intend to go back to our RV roots this summer and camp with our dear and long  time friends in our local  camping club. To make it short we are getting old and our USA map  is full.

Both Helen and I need some medical work done and the Montana Big Sky needs a going over.We are gonna be at the S&B for awhile. What ever lifestyle we have been living since 2006 it has been a good one.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

48 minutes ago, richfaa said:

Well we are home at our S &B in Ohio today.  We were 6 months on our Florida  lot.We have been on the road since 2006 and are slowing down.We only have two functions planned this summer and both are rallies one in Nebraska and the other in Indiana. We intend to go back to our RV roots this summer and camp with our dear and long  time friends in our local  camping club. To make it short we are getting old and our USA map  is full.

Both Helen and I need some medical work done and the Montana Big Sky needs a going over.We are gonna be at the S&B for awhile. What ever lifestyle we have been living since 2006 it has been a good one.

So very well said!

Marcel

7 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

Feed the troll, here's a bucket for chicken feed for him.

image.png.82f6e8405291f3a3d54ec5ba9fae7e3d.png

My theory is that Roadtrek 1 wishes he was on the road full-time. So he feeds questions to us to keep him entertained when he's stuck in his stix n brix. Since many of us seem to find his questions entertaining I don't see that as a bad thing. Even though I do get frustrated with him sometimes.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, Roadtrek 1 said:

I don't care if you are a full timer or part timer... please do whatever you want....I happen to like the "part time" experience because I want to have a "home base" I don't have to move around...for me, it's easier....I know that many of the "full timers" will say that their home is wherever they are...and if this works for you, great....

So, tell me...are you full time or just a part time person and I hope you enjoy whatever experience you've chosen.

First of all, anyone who would actually say that to you is a jerk.  About 90% of the folks we meet during the year at different campgrounds are part time RVers.  It is rare that we find another full timing couple.

We have three couples that we are especially close to.  We will hook up with one or more of them in different parts of the country during the year because we all ride Harleys together.  Many of evenings we have had the "full time vs part time" conversation while sitting around.  On one hand they claim they envy what we are doing, traveling around the country when and where we want without any worries about a home base to take care of.  However, none of them will ever make the transition because they can never see themselves without that home base to call "home".  Two of the couples are only in their sticknbricks about 2 months out of each year and travel the rest of the time, but they still know the full time thing isn't for them.  

As far as what the majority of folks are in the Escapees Club, to be honest I would guess it is 25% current full timers, 25% part timers, and 50% folks that used to be full timers and like to post about it and share their experiences.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

On 4/20/2019 at 1:45 PM, Roadtrek 1 said:

Absolutely "there are no right or wrong answers" to full time, or part time, or just a few weeks of a year.

Most folks replying to this topic are giving good polite answers to a topic that seems to be worded as to want to start a discussion or an argument. 

A topic like this is best replied with simple polite statements of what each person does or to just ignore the topic.  

To reply with a critical or argumentative (as I am now) just feeds the desire to post more topics which seem to seek to start discussions or arguments rather than to inform.    

I've heard people who are say things to me like....you can't possibly "know" the true RV experience unless you are a "full timer"..... How's that? 

Kind of like "I saw this inflammatory posting on the internet" and now I want to discuss/argue about it. 

Some of us on this forum are seeing a pattern here. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Part time.  Some years 6 months on the road, others 8.  Have wanted to sell the house, but Joan wanted a place for the holidays.  Then we had a health issue hit us.  Still waiting, but surgery on the horizon and then some rehab before we can hit the road again.  Nice to have a fall back for a place more assessable.  Once this is behind us, we’re back on the road.  I expect we will downsize though keeping a “just in case place”.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com