Truck and 5th wheel insurance

Martin

Should I expect any problems getting insurance for a new 5th wheel and my F-250 after I sell my home and become mobile?

My current insurance company is Farmers and my agent has told me that his firm cannot provide insurance once I lose my address in California ( sell my home ).

I will have a home again somewhere within a year - give or take.

Should I expect any problems with this during this timeframe?  I have a squeaky clean record.

Check with other Insurance Companies, Farmers is not people friendly.  Try Gico, Progressive, USAA (if ex military),

AAA, and there are many more.  I'm sure others will chime in with their own opinions and suggestions.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

You will want fulltimers insurance on the fifth wheel which provides the liability insurance you'd have with a homeowner's policy (which, of course, you will no longer have once you sell your house).  Not all insurance companies offer fulltimers insurance, including Farmers.

I'd suggest contacting an insurance agency that specializes in RV insurance...someone like Miller's RV Insurance http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/products/rv/index.php

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

7 hours ago, Martin said:

I will have a home again somewhere within a year - give or take.

Should I expect any problems with this during this timeframe?  I have a squeaky clean record.

Must have an address somewhere in order to register a vehicle, to insure a vehicle, to keep a driver's license, to carry health insurance and a host of other things. If you have no address at all you simply can't do those things. In addition, you will need to have fulltimer insurance for the RV once it becomes your only home. Many insurance companies do not write that type of coverage. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, Phil Saran said:

Check with other Insurance Companies, Farmers is not people friendly.  Try Gico, Progressive, USAA (if ex military),

AAA, and there are many more.  I'm sure others will chime in with their own opinions and suggestions.

I have USAA, but I would call Progressive Insurance.  Just make sure that you get a full timers package.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I am part owner of a small farm in Ohio with some siblings. My mother lives in the home on the property. We all have a great relationship.

I could use a mail forwarding service so as not to create any headaches for my mother ; but use the hard address for insurance, taxes, and such.

This would probably work, right?

So I would use the Ohio address for insurance ( etc) as I take 9 months or so to leave California and go back east.

22 hours ago, LindaH said:

You will want fulltimers insurance on the fifth wheel which provides the liability insurance you'd have with a homeowner's policy (which, of course, you will no longer have once you sell your house).  Not all insurance companies offer fulltimers insurance, including Farmers.

I'd suggest contacting an insurance agency that specializes in RV insurance...someone like Miller's RV Insurance http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/products/rv/index.php

I was quoted a full-timer quote with Farmers was high  

5 hours ago, Martin said:

I could use a mail forwarding service so as not to create any headaches for my mother ; but use the hard address for insurance, taxes, and such.

It will depend on Ohio laws. There is no standard answer as every state has its own laws on such issues. On the surface, it would seem that it should work, but you need to be familiar with Ohio law, which I am not. But you also need to part ways with CA and that could take some work as well. You will need to file a partial year income tax return to start things off. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am a full timer and have found many insurance companies will not write fulltime RV coverage. Farmers, Liberty Mutual,  Safeco a division of Liberty, Hartford (AARP) State Farm are a few to mention who will not. Foremost a division of Farmers specializes in boats, RV,  motorcycles. Progressive is another like Formost that will.  I currently have Geico, for the RV, Jeep, Motorcycle and an Umbrella as well as 3 Landloard policies on my rental properties.  Geico doesn’t have agents, you have to call them, tell them what State your vehicles are tagged in and they will quote you as well as write the policy. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

20 hours ago, Martin said:

I am part owner of a small farm in Ohio with some siblings. My mother lives in the home on the property. We all have a great relationship.

So I would use the Ohio address for insurance ( etc) as I take 9 months or so to leave California and go back east.

I'm not sure if this would work for you or not, but here is my suggestion.  Change your address to the farm house your mother lives in.  Change all your registrations over to Ohio plus your driver's license.  I would guess you will immediately save some money on registration fees after the first year.  

If all your bills and other accounts are paperless then eventually you won't get much mail anyway.  Large stamped packets could be left with your mother and she could simply stuff your mail into them every month and send it to wherever you are camped.  

There would be more involved that you would have to investigate as far as changing everything over to Ohio, like health care coverage, taxes on retirement, etc.  I just think becoming an Ohio resident would be easier since you do own property there.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Archived