DirecTV account "action required "

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have DirecTv but don’t have DNS. I just call them and change my locals a few times a year when I move about. Haven’t received any emails except for my bill. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

21 minutes ago, cpalmer2k said:

Hrm... so am I the only one with DNS here who has NOT gotten the notice? I wonder if they're going in chronological order or something. It's only been a few years since I signed up so mine might be more in date than most. 

We have East and West coast and haven't received the notice.

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

We have the old system, both coasts, DNS. I personally thought maybe since the AT&T takeover and folks calling the FCC filing complaints, Direct figured maybe they better get their house in order in case of an audit or if the Feds started nosing around. We very rarely even have contact with them. I believe the last time was 3 years ago when our box went belly up in Island Park, ID.

Edited by bobsallyh

I have the east coast plan and have had for just short of 9 years.  I haven't seen the email yet or maybe I trashed it and didn't see it on my spam folder.  Time will tell I guess.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

On 4/22/2019 at 9:16 PM, Twotoes said:

I have DirecTv but don’t have DNS. I just call them and change my locals a few times a year when I move about. Haven’t received any emails except for my bill. 

Have you done this recently? We tried to switch service address just after the ATT/DirecTV merger and was told that if that changed then we would lose DNS and have to reapply. Not wanting the hassle we have kept our same service address for about 2 years now.

Bob & Jo
Full-timing since 09/10/2009 - SKP 99512
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350
Our blog: http://bobandjotravelblog.blogspot.com/
Our travel photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobandjotravel/sets/

2 hours ago, SKP099512 said:

Have you done this recently? We tried to switch service address just after the ATT/DirecTV merger and was told that if that changed then we would lose DNS and have to reapply. Not wanting the hassle we have kept our same service address for about 2 years now.

Why would you change your service address if you have DNS? As I understand it, DNS is intended to replace the local stations for mobile RV'ers and truckers.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Why would you change your service address if you have DNS? As I understand it, DNS is intended to replace the local stations for mobile RV'ers and truckers.

2 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

You shouldn’t need to, and we never do.  Never really felt the need to have “locals” and if we do, then that’s why the OTA antenna is there. 

Thought I had replied to Dutch earlier and it will also apply to Barbaraok; we are sometimes in places where the OTA antenna doesn't bring in any channels or like where we are now, some channels but no local news/weather. Plus the sports packages are tied to your service address and you end up things blacked out that you should be able to watch.

Bob & Jo
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350

1 hour ago, SKP099512 said:

....some channels but no local news/weather.

IMHO the weather forecasts I can get off the internet are far more detailed than the typical kind you get from most TV stations, particularly in smaller towns.  Similarly, if one wants to know what's going on in an area, that's usually easily obtainable online.  Normally, we have little interest in news from cities we're just passing through.  JMO

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2 hours ago, SKP099512 said:

Thought I had replied to Dutch earlier and it will also apply to Barbaraok; we are sometimes in places where the OTA antenna doesn't bring in any channels or like where we are now, some channels but no local news/weather. Plus the sports packages are tied to your service address and you end up things blacked out that you should be able to watch.

My understanding of the FCC's rules is that DNS is intended as a replacement for the locals, not in addition to them. A one or the other deal, but not both. I know some folks have been getting both, but it appears that DTV is currently working on making sure they're following the rules. If you get the locals, you don't need DNS seems to be the way it's supposed to work. They likely don't want to get caught out the way Dish did awhile back, losing the right to offer DNS for a few years.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

4 hours ago, SKP099512 said:

Yes, the sports channels are designed to reflect  WHERE YOU LIVE.   If you want to live in some other place, change your service address to that place, but you shouldn't get locals if you have DNS.    As for being where you can't get locals - well you are suppose to be traveling and that's why you get DNS.  We get the local weather through weather.com (or any of the weather sites); local news via a local paper website if we really feel we need to - but in general, as long as I have the weather, I really don't care about local fires, accidents, high school football games.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I just received the notice via snail mail since DTV somehow lost my email address a few months ago.

Their wording is a bit confusing, ie: "....receiver is located in, this vehicle (which is a MOTOR VEHICLE or commercial

truck.....). We have a 5th wheel.

And then....Application for a New or Existing Vehicle Account...Our account has always been an RV account.

And.....Physical address....Don't have one.. We're full time.

We have both East/West DNS. Hoping not to lose it.

Guess I'll have to call.

Kim and Betsy

2017 F450 Lariat

2017 Arctic Fox 35-5Z

Good luck with calling them.  I just tried and after 3-4 people I finally got to someone who knew what DNS is.  I didn't want to waste any time with someone who didn't have a clue what I was asking.  This person finally found a number for the DNS department which has previously been posted here is no longer in service. The number she gave was 800-561-4388, but don't waste your time.

My question is which form(s) do I need to send in?  I an full time with an RV account and no residential account and I do have DNS east coast feed.

They say at the first of their cover letter that they need:

1.  Photocopy of your vehicle registration - Got It.

2.  Mobile Vehicle Declaration of Intent form - Got it.

3.  Photocopy of CDL.  Not needed since I'm not commercial.

Now it gets fuzzy for me. 

4.  "If you have receivers in both your home and mobile vehicle---and have already set up separate accounts,---".  I don't.  I have RV only and no permanent residence.  So it looks like I don't send this form in.

5.  This form is for a new account and also if you have want an RV account AND a home account.  I don't.

So it looks like all they need from me is the Mobile Vehicle Declaration of Intent form with some side notes that my desire for DNS is indefinite.  But why do I feel this is going to be an annual thing based on the expiration of my state registration?  I too am interested in how the ending data of 9999 mentioned previously will be handled by ATT.  As usual the right hand doesn't know what any other part of their body is doing.

Anything I'm missing before I send in just this first form?  I sure don't want to tease this gorilla.

Thanks all.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch

1 hour ago, edatlanta said:

Good luck with calling them.

I used to say 'when all else fails read the instructions' now I say 'when all else fails call DirecTV'. My advice for calling DirecTV is that if you can tell you know more than the person you are talking too fake a bad connection and hang up and try again.

I think you have all you need to send back. There is an email address on the form and I sent them an email saying my paperwork has been submitted and received and asking for an update but so far have heard nothing. I do keep checking the channels periodically because I figure the only way we will know is if we lose DNS and the channels are no longer available.

Edited by SKP099512

Bob & Jo
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350

We applied for DNS channels for the first time. Sent in all the paperwork over 60 days ago and still have not had the DNS channels added to our service. We call DirecTV and the phone numbers they transfer us to for the DNS department are all invalid phone numbers. The general customer service people have no idea what DNS is all about. Has anyone have had any success in getting their DNS channels set up for the first time for their RV?

7 hours ago, edatlanta said:

Good luck with calling them.  I just tried and after 3-4 people I finally got to someone who knew what DNS is.  I didn't want to waste any time with someone who didn't have a clue what I was asking.  This person finally found a number for the DNS department which has previously been posted here is no longer in service. The number she gave was 800-561-4388, but don't waste your time.

My question is which form(s) do I need to send in?  I an full time with an RV account and no residential account and I do have DNS east coast feed.

They say at the first of their cover letter that they need:

1.  Photocopy of your vehicle registration - Got It.

2.  Mobile Vehicle Declaration of Intent form - Got it.

3.  Photocopy of CDL.  Not needed since I'm not commercial.

Now it gets fuzzy for me. 

4.  "If you have receivers in both your home and mobile vehicle---and have already set up separate accounts,---".  I don't.  I have RV only and no permanent residence.  So it looks like I don't send this form in.

5.  This form is for a new account and also if you have want an RV account AND a home account.  I don't.

So it looks like all they need from me is the Mobile Vehicle Declaration of Intent form with some side notes that my desire for DNS is indefinite.  But why do I feel this is going to be an annual thing based on the expiration of my state registration?  I too am interested in how the ending data of 9999 mentioned previously will be handled by ATT.  As usual the right hand doesn't know what any other part of their body is doing.

Anything I'm missing before I send in just this first form?  I sure don't want to tease this gorilla.

Thanks all.

I sent in the form for "separate home and RV accounts" clearly marked with "you shouldn't need this form, but here it is anyway" and on the form I clearly noted that there were NO receivers in anything other than the RV.  To make things very clear I even included a photo of our MH with its Winegard Trav'ler on the roof with the front license plate also clearly visible.  Since the MH's registration is in the name of our MT LLC, I included a note to the effect that the use of the MH was non-commercial, therefore, a CDL isn't required.

All we can do is hope that they don't screw up our DNS while we are traveling on vacation this summer since the deadline for submission was June 15!

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

14 hours ago, docj said:

I sent in the form for "separate home and RV accounts" clearly marked with "you shouldn't need this form, but here it is anyway" and on the form I clearly noted that there were NO receivers in anything other than the RV.  To make things very clear I even included a photo of our MH with its Winegard Trav'ler on the roof with the front license plate also clearly visible.  Since the MH's registration is in the name of our MT LLC, I included a note to the effect that the use of the MH was non-commercial, therefore, a CDL isn't required.

All we can do is hope that they don't screw up our DNS while we are traveling on vacation this summer since the deadline for submission was June 15!

I just mailed the copy of my RV registration and the Intent form.  Since I do not have any residence location other than the RV I decided that too much information might cause other issues.  Time will tell I guess.  I do have my home base (based on billing zip code) locals when in the spot beam and also DNS so the locals may go away.  We shall see.  Keep us posted on your 9999 expiration issue.  

Ed

KM4STL

I called DTV. CSR didn't have a clue and told me to just ignore the letter!! Yeah, right.

I tried the email address and haven't gotten a reply yet.

I'm going to try calling early in the morning, in hopes of getting an English speaking CSR.

After that I'm going to just fill out the paper work hope for the best.

Kim and Betsy

2017 F450 Lariat

2017 Arctic Fox 35-5Z

FYI...i sent directv my fifth wheel registration and completed letter of intent on 4/19. i'm full timing and I have not had a residence for the past 4 years and have all my receivers in my fifth wheel with east coast DNS feeds.  

Directv just emailed me today saying "upon checking we have verified that the mobile distant network service - east coast feed is active on your account.  For you to be able to continue getting the programming, we went ahead and converted your directv account to a mobile account type"

I'm hoping that this conversion to a mobile account will not increase my pricing...but it looks like i'll keep getting DNS for now.

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

Just received an email back switching us to a Mobile account and continuing our service. Sigh of relief!!!

Would everyone report back here when and if you get a response on DNS?

For us we mailed on 4/22 and they got it 4/28 and so far we have not heard a thing. I do keep checking the channels though 🙂

Edited by SKP099512

Bob & Jo
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350