HDT Registered as Private Truck in Florida

ktlobb11

If there’s already a string on this subject and you can provide me with the link that would be great, I couldn’t find anything with a search.

I’m interested in hearing from anybody who has legally registered their HDT in Florida as a private truck.

If so can I ask where you registered it?
How hard was it to insure?
Who did you insure it with?
Are you covered to drive it bobtail?

We already have our SD domicile set-up, but because I’m going to continue to work and my office is in Florida my company doesn’t want to deal with the SD address, so I’d like to research using Florida as my domicile. I chose SD originally because I was going to register my truck as a motorhome which from my understanding Florida won’t allow because of some nebulous rule about a motorhome can’t have a weight bearing hitch.

I’m already a Florida resident so there are some advantages to making Florida my domicile.

Any feedback is greatly appreciate.

10 days and counting till we start our full-time lifestyle out of our 5ver.

Thanks

2019 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA (Moving in 4/29)
2020 Volvo 860 (Hopefully on the Production Line)
2016 Smart Prime Coupe “Phase One”

A few years ago I looked into the same thing.  I called my local independent insurance agent to see about getting insurance for a PT.  Nope, not gonna happen.  Agent kept telling me I needed some "commercial exposure", but she could never explain to me what that term meant.

FYI, SD does NOT require you to have a SD address to register a vehicle.  If I were you, I would call the insurance agency who works with America's Mailbox in Box Elder, SD and see if SD registration and insurance is available on a PT housed in Fla.  

Fla might come after you for having a Fla license and a SD registered truck, IDK.

Thanks for the info, I already have an insurance agent that got me coverage on the truck in Florida and she said they don't care how it's registered they're going to insure it as a motorhome, but if I can't register it at all in Florida doesn't really matter. So far with everything we have found out we are leaning toward going with SD for everything including address, license and registration and using a Florida address just for work. That appears to be the easiest and safest path.

2019 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA (Moving in 4/29)
2020 Volvo 860 (Hopefully on the Production Line)
2016 Smart Prime Coupe “Phase One”

Archived