"That's it, we're doing it!" Selling house, going fulltime.

We're going to purchase a used RV with money we clear after the sale of our house which is currently on the market. What an epic shift in our lives this will be. #1 we love adventure, #2 we don't love having a mortgage & banks don't give us warm, fuzzy feelings. We're expecting to only have 1 or maybe 2 months for family (wife, two kiddos (14 & 8yo) who we've homeschooled from the beginning, two dogs & one cat) to transition into whatever unit we purchase. We're currently only considering used all-season 5th wheels (perhaps Keystone Montana or FR Cardinal). Also planning to get a mid-2000's thoroughly bulletproofed Powerstroke as a tow vehicle.

(FYI, I've reviewed different RV clubs/communities and XScapers seems to fit us best, so we plan to join at some point soon.) 

Anyway, between handling those purchases, clearing and vacating the house (we've already gotten rid of most things), and the bare minimum tweaking of our unit as necessary, I will have my hands full!  I worked as an RV tech years ago, and also "fulltimed" in a 5th wheel for about a year during that time. So, I'm not entirely ignorant of RVs/trailers and their systems, but I fully expect to face challenges.  Our first destination will likely be from here (Tennessee) to Texas to visit w/ family for a couple months.  That will give me more time to get our offgrid power, interior customizations (like adding bunks), etc, where it all needs to be for boondocking, and "put our toes in the water" testing things while occasionally drycamping. From there we plan to head northwest, and probably do some workamping along the way. I'm a professional data analyst & database admin/developer, and might pick up another contract job working remotely if I decide to - we'll see.  I'm also capable of general maintenance & an experienced tile setter.

Given all that, do you seasoned fulltimers (especially those fulltiming w/ children) have any suggestions at all?

Edited by FreedomQuest

If you're happy doing tile work, you should be easy to please.  That's some hard ass work there.  I've done two houses and that's 1 1/2 houses more than I needed to know I don't want to do that for a living.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

33 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

If you're happy doing tile work, you should be easy to please.  That's some hard ass work there.  I've done two houses and that's 1 1/2 houses more than I needed to know I don't want to do that for a living.

I'm industrious, multi-disciplined and willing to work.  Confident I'll be able to add value in some way wherever we go.  Tile work is fine and I'm good at it (custom shower builds, etc), but yes, it certainly isn't "easy" by any means!

Aside, I'd like to develop an app to help fulltimers and/or boondockers.  Brainstorming that.  I'm sure my ideas will get better after doing it myself for a while.

Edited by FreedomQuest

7 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Welcome to Escapees!

Here's a site that might help along with your planning.  How does the 14 year old feel about all this?  That's a difficult age.  Good luck!

https://www.fulltimefamilies.com/

Thanks!  14yo is actually thrilled about it.  They're both great kids.  Just hoping he and his sister will learn to bicker less, given the closer quarters... lol.

By the way, how would you rate your experience w/ the Travel Supreme 5th wheel?  A shame they went out of business.  I remember their Class As.  Mighty fine rigs.  I've never been in one of their 5th wheels though.

Edited by FreedomQuest

The Travel Supreme was very well made and we enjoyed it.  No problems.  It was a tiny company and the market downturn really hurt them.  One of the owners went over to Newmar which also built awesome 5th wheels if you can find one.  I don't believe they are made anymore as Newmar now concentrates on motorhomes.  Good luck with your search.  For floorplans and price ideas get on the PPL Consignment site.  It may help you.  There are 2 Newmar 5th wheels for sale here and many more choices:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/fifth-wheel?sortBy=price+desc&facetValueFilter=tenant~manufacturer:newmar

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help so don't hesitate to ask.

We were never home school people even though we did do a lot of RV travel when our sons were growing up, but we have known and do know several families that do so quite successfully. With the internet so much more available today, there are far more resources available to you. In addition, there are a few that I am aware of with good reputations, like Roadschooling 101, Wanderly, and Fulltime Families. I encourage you to take part in those and the X-scapers but please also stay active with us, even though our average age it much higher than yours as we do still have a great deal in common to share and are very interested in your experiences as you hit the road. 

Zuly brings up a very important point, in health insurance.  This can be a very important issue to deal with and can play a major role in your choice of domicile for all of your business activities.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

OK.  Doesn't sound like you're going to end up doing much travelling.

There's nothing wrong with that.  Kay Peterson started Escapees while Joe was travelling from one construction job to another as an itenerant electrician and they managed to see quite a bit of the USA, there's no reason a skilled tile layer can't do the same.

Edited by Lou Schneider