Water Pump - First Post

First time to ask a Question:

I have a water pump that seems to be constantly running. It used to respond normally:  open a faucet, water pumped and you could hear the pump begin and then stop as it returns pressure to the tank. 

Now, I hear a constant low motor noise that ceases when pump switch is turned off. 

Common sense and my training tell me that water is going somewhere if the pump is running. BUT I CAN’T FIND A LEAK, or water damage anywhere. 

Any recommendations as to a reputable service center in San Diego Area?  I’ve had a few deeply disappointing encounters with places that don’t seem to have qualified technicians able to do simple things requiring many returns to the shop, lost time and money and very poor results. South Coast RV and Camping World being the standouts for a “lowlights reel.”

Sometimes the water pump will lose it's prime and the result is that it runs constantly without actually pumping anything. If you turn the switch on and open a faucet (without being hooked up to "city water") do you get any water out of that faucet?  That is, does the water pump actually pump water when you need it?

And are you certain that you've got water in your fresh water tank to actually pump?

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Thanks for responding mptjelgin.  

I’ve been urged by other SKPs to try the forum for help.  I’m surprised at such a prompt response  Thank you  

I’m going to recheck those things, since you asked specifically, and report back. 

Assuming it’s a prime problem, what’s the procedure for reestablishing that pressure?

Thanks,

Larry

On our trailer we had to fill the fresh water tank all the way up, open the low-point drain valves (on the bottom of the trailer) and then turn the pump on.  The combination of high water level in the tank and open low-point drains helped get the water moving toward the pump and eventually it re-primed. Took a couple of minutes though.

I would turn off the water heater when you do this just in case it partially empties through the low-point drain. You don't want to burn up an element. 

Another thing that can cause the problem is an air leak on the intake side of the pump, which causes it to draw air and lose prime. 

Good luck!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Does your motorhome have a tank fill valve that allows you to fill the fresh water tank with the supply hose connected to the same place as you would to use city water and not use the pump at all? If it does I would bet that your problem is that the valve is in the tank fill position with no hose connected. What then happens is that your pump draws water out of the bottom of the freshwater tank and discharges into the water system where the water then goes through the open fill valve and back into the top of the fresh water tank, pumping the water around and around. I suggest that you go and look at that valve before you call a repairman.

As to how I know about this, I used to own a motorhome that used a tank fill valve and guess who has done exactly that? 😂

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

How old is your pump?

These diaphragm style pumps don't last forever, if it is old enough or used often enough it is possible the diaphragm has cracked and will while it may pump water it may never produce enough pressure to shut itself off. Most pumps you can buy a rebuild kit for(and it takes longer to get the pump out of the camper than to install the rebuild kit) but I personally would replace if it come to that.

6 hours ago, porky69 said:

How old is your pump?

These diaphragm style pumps don't last forever, if it is old enough or used often enough it is possible the diaphragm has cracked and will while it may pump water it may never produce enough pressure to shut itself off. Most pumps you can buy a rebuild kit for(and it takes longer to get the pump out of the camper than to install the rebuild kit) but I personally would replace if it come to that.

I agree! My last water pump came from a farm store, about $30 less than the RV parts store for same model #.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

First, no one else has made a recommendation for a service center in the San Diego area, so I would suggest Rick's RV, East main, In El Cajon. I have recently had work done on our 35 ft. Winnebago, Adventurer. They have very good reviews, and I was very pleased with their service department. They have many years dealing with HWH products, slide outs,  and general RV issues. They are always busy so schedule ahead, ask for Erick. As far as the water pump itself, good advice has already been given. it mainly depends how much work you want to do yourself. I always carry a spare water pump, hooked up so I can pump water in tank from portable containers when boon docking. 

Second, if you need a Mobile Mechanic, I would recommend A and M Mobile Mechanic In Lakeside. They have lots of experience working on the Ford V-10 triton. My throttle body went out during our stay,  and they fixed it very quickly at a very reasonable rate. 

Our three months in San Diego are up, so working our way back up to Washington.