Parking the "wrong" way

Carlos

My Jeep has a large swing-out tailgate with a 35" tire hanging from it, another reason I don't back in.

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Why blame me for their actions was my question to them, I was told I should have been more aware and left room for them to open their hatchback.

And they were too stupid to move their own vehicle forward a foot or two?

A couple months ago I walked out of a store and started putting stuff in my vehicle.  I was taking my time.  I was in no rush, and I took the wife's Z4 so space was at a premium; I had to organize it carefully.  I hear honking, and look over to see a woman giving a "hurry up" or "what are you doing" sign.  She clearly wanted my space.  Now, it was up front, but there were a LOT of open spaces 30 feet away.  But she wanted mine.  I looked around wondering if I'm on Candid Camera.  Then started moving things from inside the car to the trunk, and then back.  Slowly.  The look on her face was precious.  Then when the cart was empty, I closed everything up...and walked the cart all the way back inside the store.

We've only been full-timing for five years, so we're still new at this. Most of the parks where we've been, whether COE, State parks, county/city parks, or commercial parks, if there is a view, are set up so that people can enjoy it no matter which way is best from their RV. All they have to do is park on one side of the street or the other. For example, there is a small campground that has a great view of Chimney Rock. They are set up with the utilities between each pair of sites and a larger "yard" between one site and the next one over. That way you can park either way, depending on where your windows are. Since we are in a MH, we were parked with the view out of our windshield. The 5'er that parked next to us was pointed the other way, as his living area (and large window) were at the back of his coach.

As for backing into parking spots with the car, that's what I prefer to do, too. If the parking lot is laid out in such a manner that I can pull through one space into the next one and then drive out going WITH traffic, I'll do that. I use the backup camera to make sure that I'm all the way into my space (I can see the line behind the car). I will also generally try to park a little farther from the door so that I am less likely to confuse a driver who is following me.

BTW, when we're staying for several nights or longer I prefer a back-in site to a pull-through. Why? Let the people who might have difficulties backing or are only going to spend the one night have those spots. One park we frequent charges more for a pull-through, and since we don't need it, we don't want to pay for it.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I have parked several times pulling in forward, but I always pull as far to the left as I can so I am not encroaching on the neighbor's space.  And I have a 30 amp extension cord that makes it easy to reach the electrical post no matter where I am parked.  Also, I always have enough room to walk around my rig if I want to sit at the picnic table.  One place I do this is at Gamble Rogers State Park in Florida where if you are very lucky and plan 11 months in advance, you can get a spot overlooking the ocean!  However, spots are well-separated from neighbors. 

I was told in state parks along the Oregon and Washington coasts that they require you to back in to your spot so that you can pull out quickly and not block the roadways in case of a Tsunami warning.  That makes sense.