TPMS

Wizards&OZ

On 4/18/2019 at 7:34 AM, FL-JOE said:

There are probably several brands out there that are good and a few more that are junk.

Back in 2011, after following the advise on a different RV forum, I purchased my system from TST (Truck System Technologies).  It came with 6 flow-thru sensors and worked great.  Moved it to another three RV's over the years.  When we got our current rig I needed more sensors (12) so I just bought another new system from them so I could have the new bigger color monitor.  The old sensors still work just as good as the brand new ones.  I change batteries about once every 2 years or so.

Thank you for the help. We will need the ones with 8. Did it give more peace of mind? That was what I was thinking. Well enjoy the travels. Terry and Bob. 

11 hours ago, Dreams do come true said:

Thank you for the help. We will need the ones with 8. Did it give more peace of mind? That was what I was thinking. Well enjoy the travels. Terry and Bob. 

It does give you peace of mind.  I probably never would have consistently went around any of the RVs I had and physically checked each and every tire on a regular basis.  On my fivers or on my coaches most of the tires are a reach anyway because they are usually under a slide out when camped.  What is nice about a good TPMS is that an hour of so before you hit the road you can turn it on and get good accurate readings on your tires.  Of course it gives you a good feeling going down the road to be able to see your pressures and temps on each tire.

I've said it a hundred times, but no matter what type of RV you have I think a TPMS should be the number 1 piece of safety equipment you purchase.

Edited by FL-JOE

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

11 hours ago, Dreams do come true said:

Did it give more peace of mind?

That is exactly what justifies the cost. The other part is the convenience of not needing to check tires with a gage. Many people travel for many years without any TPS and never experience anything bad because of it. In many ways, it is much like a power line monitor, the Fridge Defend, or any other safety equipment. It can be difficult to justify the cost but if the day comes that you need one it can prevent a disaster. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Safety, safety, safety. 

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

On 4/18/2019 at 1:39 PM, Eleanor Rig-B said:

I'm going with FL-Joe, just installed my TST System two days ago.  After months of study and presentations from several reps, I chose the TST:  Easy to-Read, monitors more tires than you can legally pull, color monitor, easy-to-program, no wires and no problem to install.

Are you using the battery operated sensors or the optional sealed sensors designed to last 5 years?    I have the battery sensors and have occasionally had to replace them; I carry extra batteries on board for this.

Only problem is... I've started to notice a little deterioration / rust on some of the sensors.... I cleaned them up and they are still working, but, the sealed units are more "bulletproof" for that. 

Only downsides to the sealed units are they don't lock on and their expensive.  

What do you think about this?  Otherwise, Truck System Technologies seems to work well. Easy to work with them, great customer service.

42 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Are you using the battery operated sensors or the optional sealed sensors designed to last 5 years?    I have the battery sensors and have occasionally had to replace them; I carry extra batteries on board for this.

Only problem is... I've started to notice a little deterioration / rust on some of the sensors.... I cleaned them up and they are still working, but, the sealed units are more "bulletproof" for that. 

Only downsides to the sealed units are they don't lock on and their expensive.  

What do you think about this?  Otherwise, Truck System Technologies seems to work well. Easy to work with them, great customer service.

I replace my TST 507 cap sensor batteries annually. At 75-85 cents each, it's cheap insurance.

If you make sure you have good O-rings on the sensors, they should be fine.  I always use new O-rings when I replace the batteries.

The sealed 510 sensors have a rotating cap similar to the 507 sensors, although it's not removable. They both use the same installation removal tool.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

8 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I replace my TST 507 cap sensor batteries annually. At 75-85 cents each, it's cheap insurance.

If you make sure you have good O-rings on the sensors, they should be fine.  I always use new O-rings when I replace the batteries.

The sealed 510 sensors have a rotating cap similar to the 507 sensors, although it's not removable. They both use the same installation removal tool.

My old 510 system (2005) uses a flat metal "wrench" to lock them onto the valve stem, the cap freely spins to make them impossible to remove without that wrench. The cap may be removed if desired according to the instruction sheet, so you do not have to use the wrench to tighten them onto the stem; at the cost of losing the anti-theft feature. If the sensor battery fails you must send it back to TST for a replacement @ $50 ea.

My 507 flow-thru sensors(2013) use a metric "Allen" wrench to tighten a set screw to lock them onto the stem. You are right about replacement batteries(which I replace every 2nd year), I buy them at flea markets @ $1 for a card of 10; I've only gotten 2 faulty batteries in the last 6 years. I re-use the "O" rings until they break, just a light film of Vaseline on them keeps them in good condition. DW doesn't like it when I turn the dining table into a work bench though.

Neither model has ever failed me.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

6 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

My old 510 system (2005) uses a flat metal "wrench" to lock them onto the valve stem, the cap freely spins to make them impossible to remove without that wrench. The cap may be removed if desired according to the instruction sheet, so you do not have to use the wrench to tighten them onto the stem; at the cost of losing the anti-theft feature. If the sensor battery fails you must send it back to TST for a replacement @ $50 ea.

My 507 flow-thru sensors(2013) use a metric "Allen" wrench to tighten a set screw to lock them onto the stem. You are right about replacement batteries(which I replace every 2nd year), I buy them at flea markets @ $1 for a card of 10; I've only gotten 2 faulty batteries in the last 6 years. I re-use the "O" rings until they break, just a light film of Vaseline on them keeps them in good condition. DW doesn't like it when I turn the dining table into a work bench though.

Neither model has ever failed me.

I was not able to remove the rotating security caps on the 510 sensors, but I never followed up to see if I was missing a step to do it. Removing the 507 security caps is as simple as not replacing them after a battery change of course, since they're only held on with three small screws.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system