TPMS

Wizards&OZ

If your TPMS is reporting high temperature, it should also be reporting high pressure.  That is the Gas Law.

Stop and try to determine what is causing the tire to heat up beyond the normal limits. Is the hub extremely hot?

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Is it one tire or all tires?  If one, is it the same pressure and temp as the other tires when you start out in the morning?

Is your loaded rig within it's specs.  Are your axles within their load limits?  Are your tires the correct specs for the weight?

You might also consider the possibility of a malfunctioning TPMS.  Swap it out with a sensor on another tire (assuming it is mounted on a valve stem) and see how it acts on a new tire.

I would not expect to see a high temperature without pressure also being wrong (a low tire will scrub on the road and also get hot) but if I did I would look for an overheating bearing. If your tire pressures are all OK then I would slow my speed of travel and head for the nearest service shop to see what the cause is. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I've had a high temp alert a couple of times with only a slight pressure increase over the other tires. On checking, in one case it was a failing rear wheel bearing on the toad, and the other was a sticking brake caliper.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Perhaps the first TPMS on the market was PressurePro,  to my knowledge they are the only TPMS made in the U.S.A. I have a TST unit, I like it and it is reliable; several other brands are the same.

None of the valve stem mounted brands have a sender that detects actual inside tire temperatures because the sender mounts on the valve stem, so what we look for is a differential temperature compared to the remaining tire senders.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:56 PM, Wizards&OZ said:

When driving your motorhome down the highway and your TPMS warning signals an overheating tire... what steps do you take from this point while on the road? 

I am assuming you have an aftermarket system with exterior sensors.  I also assume you have your limits set correctly as far as high temp warning, which should be around 158 degrees.  Many tires will probably fail or blow in the 175 to 200 range, depending on age and other factors of course.

Assuming all of this then, you must be asking what to do if a TPMS signals a tire has just reached around 158 degrees.

If it was me I would slow down and start looking for a safe place to get completely off the highway.  A close inspection should reveal any obvious damage to the tire.  I would also feel around the hub and look for visible signs of bearing failure.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

11 hours ago, Dreams do come true said:

Which brand of TPMS is everyone choice. Is there one best.. We are going to put them on our rig this year. Thanks for the help we appreciate it.  Bob and Terry  "Dreams do come true", 

There are probably several brands out there that are good and a few more that are junk.

Back in 2011, after following the advise on a different RV forum, I purchased my system from TST (Truck System Technologies).  It came with 6 flow-thru sensors and worked great.  Moved it to another three RV's over the years.  When we got our current rig I needed more sensors (12) so I just bought another new system from them so I could have the new bigger color monitor.  The old sensors still work just as good as the brand new ones.  I change batteries about once every 2 years or so.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

What is the best system is arbitrary since different people value different features. Keep in mind that the majority of the systems that we discuss do not require the unmounting of the tires to install, do the location of the sensors will limit the ability of the sensor to detect temperatures accurately. There are several sources of system reviews that probably warrant your attention before you make a choice. I consider these three to be best. 

US Auto Authoriity                                The RV Web Network                              Smart RVing

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

What is the best system is arbitrary since different people value different features. Keep in mind that the majority of the systems that we discuss do not require the unmounting of the tires to install, do the location of the sensors will limit the ability of the sensor to detect temperatures accurately. There are several sources of system reviews that probably warrant your attention before you make a choice. I consider these three to be best. 

US Auto Authoriity                                The RV Web Network                              Smart RVing

I'm not sure I understand this statement.  Exterior valve stem mounted TPMS sensors will send a signal providing the psi and ambient temperature from each tire to the monitor.  While it is true that tires in direct sunlight on one side of an RV may read slightly higher than tires on the shady side, they certainly are not limiting the ability of the sensor to detect temperatures accurately.

Surely you are not talking about tires on dual wheel applications.  Sensors for both of those side-by-side tires would be mounted/visible on the outside rim.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

No it is more as issue of the TPMS sensor and valve stem being in the slipstream which will affect the temperature reading of the air in the tire.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

7 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

There are probably several brands out there that are good and a few more that are junk.

Back in 2011, after following the advise on a different RV forum, I purchased my system from TST (Truck System Technologies).  It came with 6 flow-thru sensors and worked great.  Moved it to another three RV's over the years.  When we got our current rig I needed more sensors (12) so I just bought another new system from them so I could have the new bigger color monitor.  The old sensors still work just as good as the brand new ones.  I change batteries about once every 2 years or so.

I'm going with FL-Joe, just installed my TST System two days ago.  After months of study and presentations from several reps, I chose the TST:  Easy to-Read, monitors more tires than you can legally pull, color monitor, easy-to-program, no wires and no problem to install.

2 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

I'm not sure I understand this statement. 

It is pretty simple. The valve stem mounted sensors are not in direct contact with the air inside of the tire, while those on the inside of the wheel are in direct contact so more accurate temperatures would be detected. 

Temperature accuracy is irrelevant.  If you have three tires reading an inaccurate 85F and the fourth is reading an inaccurate 125F, you have a tire which needs attention.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

It is pretty simple. The valve stem mounted sensors are not in direct contact with the air inside of the tire, while those on the inside of the wheel are in direct contact so more accurate temperatures would be detected. 

Oh, I thought we were talking about aftermarket TPMS and not some type of OEM internal sensors that would come on a wheel/tire like your passenger car or truck.  I suspect 90% of the RV's manufactured, unless they are small 1/2 ton chassis, come with the sensors you are referring to.

I guess I should ask you Kirk, do you or have you ever utilized a TPMS on your RV?

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

We have installed the TireMinder Smart TPMS on our motorhome and tow vehicle. Unfortunately, we haven't had the opportunity to find a location to get the individual tire weight measurements to properly inflate each tire. Instead, and for the time being, we're running with the tires at the recommended PSI as written on the tire. Should we be doing something different? 

8 hours ago, Wizards&OZ said:

Should we be doing something different? 

You could be closer by just weighing at the nearest truck scale like most larger truck stops have and then use the axle weight ratings to base you inflation on. If you do that I'd still run inflation pressures to the high side, but you can divide axle weights by half, keeping in mind that your weights probably aren't exactly half on each side. Remember that even when you get weights for individual wheels you still need to run the inflation at the same pressure for all tires on the same axle, basing that on the heaviest wheel. 

Running at max inflation probably isn't unsafe but it may cause a stiffer ride and possibly uneven tire wear. 

10 hours ago, Wizards&OZ said:

We have installed the TireMinder Smart TPMS on our motorhome and tow vehicle. Unfortunately, we haven't had the opportunity to find a location to get the individual tire weight measurements to properly inflate each tire. Instead, and for the time being, we're running with the tires at the recommended PSI as written on the tire. Should we be doing something different? 

Wiz, I'm guessing you have a Class A (no signature description).  I haven't been in a place where I can get a 4 corner weight yet either so I have been across just regular fuel stop scales twice in the past 17 months.  They are generally located in the back and usually not busy.  Just pull close to them and then go into the fuel desk and tell them you are an RV and want to weigh.  Depending on the company (Pilot, Flying J, Loves, Independent) it will be somewhere between $12 and $15.  After weighing you go back inside and they will print your ticket which will break it down by axles.  Easy peasy.

Get the weight chart for your tire's manufacturer.  Round your axle weight up, divide it by two for steer and tag.  If figuring duals the chart will explain and show those.

Congrats on your new TPMS.  I have always believed it is probably one of the most important pieces of safety equipment an RVer can utilize.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

13 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

Oh, I thought we were talking about aftermarket TPMS and not some type of OEM internal sensors that would come on a wheel/tire like your passenger car or truck.  I suspect 90% of the RV's manufactured, unless they are small 1/2 ton chassis, come with the sensors you are referring to.

I guess I should ask you Kirk, do you or have you ever utilized a TPMS on your RV?

Do tell.....

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

9 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

Wiz, I'm guessing you have a Class A (no signature description).  I haven't been in a place where I can get a 4 corner weight yet either so I have been across just regular fuel stop scales twice in the past 17 months.  They are generally located in the back and usually not busy.  Just pull close to them and then go into the fuel desk and tell them you are an RV and want to weigh.  Depending on the company (Pilot, Flying J, Loves, Independent) it will be somewhere between $12 and $15.  After weighing you go back inside and they will print your ticket which will break it down by axles.  Easy peasy.

Get the weight chart for your tire's manufacturer.  Round your axle weight up, divide it by two for steer and tag.  If figuring duals the chart will explain and show those.

Congrats on your new TPMS.  I have always believed it is probably one of the most important pieces of safety equipment an RVer can utilize.

Yes, sorry... this is a Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34tga class A motorhome. Great advice in your message! I appreciate it very much. Thank you!

On 4/19/2019 at 8:42 AM, FL-JOE said:

I have been across just regular fuel stop scales twice in the past 17 months.  They are generally located in the back and usually not busy.  Just pull close to them and then go into the fuel desk and tell them you are an RV and want to weigh. 

Sound advice and exactly what I had in mind. My present system is easier to deal with as we are towing a single axle travel trailer, but with the motorhome, when we started individual wheel weights were not as available as today, due to the increased interest in getting them. I think that RVSEF was the first group to offer that service and to suggest the need. Unless it has changed, the Oregon scales are left on even when not manned and you can weigh your rig yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

The only high temp alarm our Tireminder system has delivered was on the ALCAN after a long down hill run.  We pulled off to regain our composure because the rig was not breaking well.  After sitting a few minutes the high temp alarm sounded.  Turned out that we lost a axle seal and grease got on the brake drum and pads.  The drum was very hot and the sensor picked it up but only after stopping.

Later,
J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

That is why it doesn't matter to me if the TPMS for RVs and commercial rigs are just reading the ambient air as compared to the air inside the tire like some automobile and small pickup truck tires do.  

If other issues are happening around that tire, like a bearing failure, overheating brakes, etc., it will still show a temperature increase or alarm.

Your situation is another good example of why we should all run some sort of TPMS.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Being a cheap one. I went with a Tymate TPMS from Amazon on my 4 tire van. After a year I am still happy with the system. The readings on the dash unit match the gauge readings I get when I check the balance, twice now.