Mobile Eye

Roadtrek 1

I was traveling home from work, dark. Crossed railroad tracks, slowly. Biker pulls in front of me from nowhere. He is intoxicated, wearing black clothes. He was not on road to start with. I had no dashcam. His word against mine. He sued my insurance company. I now have a dashcam in all my vehicles. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We don't have dash cams in or on any of our vehicles.  Most of them are simply showing a certain view out the front of your vehicle.

If you are involved in a serious crash and an actual complete reconstruction is completed by police then they will pretty much know how fast you were going, how fast the other guy was going, who turned which way, and who did what when.  

I'm not saying there isn't probably minor situations where it could come in handy.  I guess if you are that worried about any type of traffic incident that may turn into a "he said, she said" then maybe go out and buy one. 

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

People in today's world do not want to accept responsibility, a dash cam eliminates that problem. I have heard of several incidents that have been resolved by just getting out of the car and saying you have a dash cam. Nullifies any argument. For $40-$50 it is an inexpensive option.

5 hours ago, SWharton said:

People in today's world do not want to accept responsibility, a dash cam eliminates that problem. I have heard of several incidents that have been resolved by just getting out of the car and saying you have a dash cam. Nullifies any argument. For $40-$50 it is an inexpensive option.

I don't know how you were able to do that for $50?

Roadtrek1- I have a Mobile eye in my RV and it does many things but not recording. Mine is 2 years old so perhaps that has been added.  What mine does is "read" signs to check if I am over the speed limit, notices if I am wandering out of my lane, getting to close to the car ahead.  At slower speeds it also watches for pedestrians crossing my path, etc.  Especially travelling alone, I appreciate the extra set of "eyes".

I have a system similar to Mobile eye, camera, G force indicator plus other features.  The biggest feature I was interested in at the time was the lane departure in case I wandered out of the lane BUT mine nd others do not work when there is no white line on either side for it to see.  Also if you have the lane set for a certain width and the construction area has narrower lanes, it goes crazy and beeps at you all the time.

52 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Linda, I don't think any technology can help in a t-bone. Sorry to hear that.

Can still prove traffic light condition, did you stop for a stop sign, etc. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We install DVR recording systems int the trucks we build. They record continuously in all directions, up to 17 channels. Typical is a 8 channel. That is forward facing, each side, rear facing at the hitch, rear-facing on top of the drom box at about 10' off the ground (this gives you a great "backup view"), three on the trailer being towed (sides and rear).  These will cover Linda's T bone situation. 

Of course, these cameras are available for viewing n the 9" monitor at any time, individually, or in any combination of channels. 

While you may not find them of value, many people do. They also act as security cameras, and you can view them on your phone, if you wet that option up.   There is a reason why commercial vehicles use these - there are many, MANY individuals that try to hold companies and individuals "hostage" by claiming accidents, or causing accidents. The more valuable your equipment seems, the more likely you are to be targeted. I personally know of at least 8 people like Glenn West that have been in situations where the camera would have resolved it in their favor. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs 8 cameras, but dash cameras are relatively inexpensive these days.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

15 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

We install DVR recording systems int the trucks we build. They record continuously in all directions, up to 17 channels. Typical is a 8 channel. That is forward facing, each side, rear facing at the hitch, rear-facing on top of the drom box at about 10' off the ground (this gives you a great "backup view"), three on the trailer being towed (sides and rear).  These will cover Linda's T bone situation. 

Of course, these cameras are available for viewing n the 9" monitor at any time, individually, or in any combination of channels. 

While you may not find them of value, many people do. They also act as security cameras, and you can view them on your phone, if you wet that option up.   There is a reason why commercial vehicles use these - there are many, MANY individuals that try to hold companies and individuals "hostage" by claiming accidents, or causing accidents. The more valuable your equipment seems, the more likely you are to be targeted. I personally know of at least 8 people like Glenn West that have been in situations where the camera would have resolved it in their favor. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs 8 cameras, but dash cameras are relatively inexpensive these days.

Are you using off the shelf security DVR with inverters and 12 volt camera   ,any details would be awesome 

We are dealers for Rear View Safety and use their products exclusively.  You can look them up. These are commercial grade products...not cheap eBay-style products. (We do not sell retail, so people needn't bother telling me I'm violating posting rules). 😊

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

1 hour ago, Jack Mayer said:

We are dealers for Rear View Safety and use their products exclusively.  You can look them up. These are commercial grade products...not cheap eBay-style products. (We do not sell retail, so people needn't bother telling me I'm violating posting rules). 😊

Jack, I agree with you  1,000 percent..... I don't use "cheap" mobile electronics.... useless.    

$50???  That won't even pay for the sales tax on the Mobileye system, c'mon, what a joke.  And, what do you expect for $50....it certainly won't do all the things a Mobileye or a system like you're talking about...

I have a commercial grade rear camera, a front camera for parking in tight  spaces and a fully integrated sound system with Android Auto and Bluetooth.

My only challenge is my rear proximity sensors with the new bicycle rack I installed on the rear of my Sprinter....no one has a suggestion for this aside removing the bike rack... I'm not going to do that. 

You get what you pay for with mobile electronics... plain and simple.  Unfortunately, there's a lot of people who can't appreciate this. 

• 1 month later...

I bought a dash cam after I was T-boned at a major intersection.  Two witnesses stayed until the police arrived.  Witness confirmed I had the green light.  "Lady" that hit me didn't appear to speak English, didn't have a Driver's License or insurance either.

The dash cam I bought clamps over my inside rear-view mirror.  One camera facing forward and the second camera facing rear.  Forward camera can be easy rotated to record any interactions between the Driver (me) and anyone standing outside the driver's door.

I've recorded a real nice video of me stopped at an intersection, a large dump truck turning too close my way for my comfort and me backing my truck up to put my hitch through a Cadillac's front end. 

My dash cam records with a time and date stamp.  I personally chose a unit that DID NOT record my vehicles speed too.  IF you were speeding and involved in an accident, your dash cam recording could be used against you.  AND IF you erashed the incriminating evidence, you could be arrest for doing so.

Edited by Matthew
fix typos

4 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Yeah... sure...$50 wouldn't even pay for the sales tax on the system I was looking at....

WOW....you know you get what you pay for and it's 2019.   

WOW....

From your replies seems you didn't need to ask - unless you're touting the  "mobile electronics" you already have.

No need to remove the bike - put it inside........oh forgot - - your space is at a premium.

☹️

On 4/16/2019 at 1:31 PM, sandsys said:

I was t-boned. A dash cam would not have helped in that situation. Just something else to think about.

Linda

I was side-swiped by a drunk driver.  The sound of the scraping and me yelling "oh f-ing sh!t this drunk a-hole hit me" was useful to the police.  Also when he continued driving, the plate was on video as well as me reading the plate number out loud in case the camera didn't get it.  It was very clear to them what happened from this evidence, even though the collision was not visible.

My camera was $70 and works very well.  The video looks fantastic.  There's no reason to pay more, and no reason not to have one.  I got a hard-wire kit for another $15 so I don't have a dangling cord, and it's guaranteed to power every time the ignition is on (can't fall out of the socket).  Make sure the camera you get has a shock sensor so it saves anything after a hit.  Otherwise, I know someone whose car was impounded with the ignition left on, and the video was completely gone because it kept recording over it.

I bought this a while ago, might be better ones now...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PXTZ14/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G9WTWB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1