Replacing Trailer Side 7-Way Plug Help....

aztex

Howdy,

I have an Airstream 2019 Sport 22FB

The 7-pin on my new Tundra does not mate tightly with the Airstream one. I gather the rubber clad stock ones test as the worst over time anyways so time to upgrade. I have had trailer brake issues and this the last link in chain to address.

I ordered a Pollak but understand I should not rely upon Pollak's wiring scheme to work. Pollak fits perfectly snug and secure where the stock wiggles and is loose even with adjusting connectors.

I found electrical diagram in manual but only defines 4 wire colors and not where on the plug they go..See attached.. Does NOT illustrate which wires go to which sockets. Supposedly colors vary and not reliable indicators of what they power..

Is there a trick to do this quickly and properly?

Thanks,

Az Tex

wiring.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.4afa136365cbd66080eb445ddd3ffd9d.jpgIs the 7 pole outlet on your Tundra the FLAT BLADE type as I usually see on Pickups and Campers orrrrrrrrrrrrr  or is it the 7 pole ROUND PIN like I see on some semi trucks and sure some other vehicles including pickups ??????????? The picture up top looks like the ROUND PIN in the event that's what you happen to have ????

For a gazillion pictures and wiring diagrams if you have the BLADE TYPE 7 Pole (Or any for that matter including the round pin) see the Bing search page and I use " RV Industry Standard Wiring" as there can be some differences.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=7+pole+rv+plug+wiring+diagram&id=B98E20EE2A03AD7979847E61A3DD9431D5A0E661&FORM=IQFRBA

The picture is ONLY for the 7 Pole FLAT BLADE type in the event you happen to have that???

John T

Edited by oldjohnt

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

His post states that he has the Pollack, round one.

I didn't see an indication he had a "ROUND" one  ?? Maybe "adjusting corners" provides a clue, darn if I know lol

I Have a Pollak 12-700 7 pole FLAT BLADE receptacle/outlet on the rear of my RV like the one shown on their website.

Take a look at Pollak's website to see the 12-700 FLAT BLADE I have, but I have no idea if his is the same or a round one?

http://products.pollakaftermarket.com/item/connectors/rv-connectors-heavy-duty-adaptors/12-700

aztex,   is your plug a flat blade like the picture below or a round pin ????? I usually see FLAT BLADE types on RV's and Pickups and ROUND PINS on larger trucks but hey EITHER can work 

12-700.jpg.04fe6236d24e5d22503dca1f5e22ac1c.jpg

John T     Live in the RV from Troy Alabama headed back North

Edited by oldjohnt

Thanks,

I have the Pollak 706 which is the round black plastic housing and single blade contact.

I really just need Airstreams color scheme as since most of not ALL trailers hook up to vehicles without and issue there vehicle side is standardized. SO If I know which pole carries which charge and which color wire Airstream used... easy peezy...

The existing is a Bargman molded rubber. I'm thinking the best option is to "dissect" it and physically see which color goes to which pole. But I'm not so sure it would be easy to do... I figure just start cutting away with a fine blade X-Acto type saw.... 

I wish I was to be in the same place longer... I'm crossing fingers the Toyota ECU update the dealer did solved the "trailer disconnect" warning I was getting but the connection is so loose it has to get changed eventually.

Az Tex

9 hours ago, aztex said:

I'm thinking the best option is to "dissect" it and physically see which color goes to which pole. But I'm not so sure it would be easy to do... I figure just start cutting away with a fine blade X-Acto type saw.... 

Can you use a meter to see if it isn't the standard configuration? II would think that it would be but you may want to verify that. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, aztex said:

I have the Pollak 706 which is the round black plastic housing and single blade contact

Thank aztex, what you have (Pollak 7 pole) is what I suspected (why I posted that diagram) and what's often used on RV's and small trucks, which is the FLAT BLADE type NOT the ROUND PIN heavy metal type like some bigger trucks, sooooooooooo its RV Industry Standard Wiring (what you have ???) is as I posted above

BUT I CANT SAY FROM HERE HOW YOUR TUNDRA OR AIRSTREM IS WIRED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you mentioned its easy peasey to stick a 12 Volt test light on the Tundra's Receptacle/Outlet and verify which flat blade is which circuit (have helper use turn signals and brakes and activate electric brakes). Its a bit more complex to apply 12 Volt signals and Ground to the Airstreams Plug to see which lights or brakes etc. work BUT IT CAN CERTAINLY BE DONE 

Using a test light its possible to figure this out WITHOUT DISECTING but that's up to you and your skill set.

While the RV Industry Standard wiring diagram for 7 Pole Flat Blade is as I posted above, as a 49 year RV user and past dealer I have seen alllllllllll sorts of wiring lol. I've seen the center pin used for backup lights (standard) seen it used for 12 volt feed, seen it used for ground, seen it used for elec brakes grrrrrrrrrrrr.

NOTE:   You mentioned Pollak 12-706 and you mentioned Bargman.

FWIW  I have the metallic Pollak 7 pole Flat Blade Receptacle/Outlet on the rear of my RV bumper but I believe (WILL HAVE TO GO LOOK SEE) a black plastic Bargman 7 Pole flat Blade Trailer End PLUG on my toad and other trailers I pull. Still  MY BARGMAN PLUG FITS NICE N SNUG INTO MY POLLAK RECEPTACLE/OUTLET.   

PICTURE IS POLLAK 706 FLAT BLADE TYPE TRAILER END PLUG  (Pollak also makes a Metallic 7 Pole Flat Blade Receptacle/Outlet Truck End as I have and as the picture above)  

12-706.jpg.ec3116c2ca3fd85509c652e69611f928.jpg

I'm sure you can get this now, I would suspect the Airstreams PLUG is wired RV Industry Standard ??? (see my original picture) and the Tundra is perhaps ??? likewise BUT I CANT SAY WHAT COLOR SCHEME WAS USED BY AIRSTREAM , I've seen different trailers wired with different color schemes grrrrrrrrrrrrrr As Im sure you're well aware there can be other wiring issues NOT PLUG causing problems.

Hope this helps, keep us posted

John T  

This is the way newer Airstream trailers are wired: image.png.d9cd929ba3275ebe0d41dc858f957166.png

Older Airstreams may be wired differently per https://www.wiringforums.com/airstream-7-pin-wiring-diagram/

A temporary fix is to duct-tape the trailer plug into the Tundra receptacle until you reach your next stop.  You might also use a fingernail file to gently sand the contacts in both ends if they appear corroded.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Hi neighbor Ray, for sure if his Tundra (maybe wired RV Industry standard maybe not ???) and his Airstream (wired how???) are different it aint gonna work lol. If not ??? does he rewire the Tundra different orrrrrrrrrrrrr does he rewire his Airstream different ???? THERES HIS  DECISION  A 12 volt test light and a jumper wire can be used to figure the dern thing out...…….. 

Hope the Fridge wiring I helped you with is working okay ??  

I'm "Back Home again in Indiana" ...........

John T

On 4/17/2019 at 8:28 PM, Ray,IN said:

This is the way newer Airstream trailers are wired: image.png.d9cd929ba3275ebe0d41dc858f957166.png

Older Airstreams may be wired differently per https://www.wiringforums.com/airstream-7-pin-wiring-diagram/

A temporary fix is to duct-tape the trailer plug into the Tundra receptacle until you reach your next stop.  You might also use a fingernail file to gently sand the contacts in both ends if they appear corroded.

Excellent!

Thanks!

Oddly it works but is not seating. Only maybe 1/8" contact. The Pollak I've yet to install sits all the way down in the socket.

It seems the Tundra contact are too wide and stiff for the stock Bargman to fully seat into.. I filed them, sprayed electric contact cleaner and tried to widen them but still barely go in...

I know, if it aint broke don't fix it so I mostly want to be ready when it needs it or when I have a lot of free times to work it out..

Az Tex

Sounds like you determined the wiring is correct for both truck and trailer, only the plug is the problem, right?

That's simple enough, when you find the time to replace the offending trailer plug. I would not change the truck wiring in any case. It is likely wired to industry standards, any changes would prevent towing a different trailer.

Off topic: I see neighbor John is back for a while, PM me later.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961