Sign in to follow this  
RandyA

ECR Project Build Update of 50 Amp Outlet Tester

I’ve had some recent questions about the ECR Project Build of a 50 amp RV outlet tester that hopefully I can answer here.

I have made some changes in the design and materials, all implemented to make the project more useful and easier to build.  It is designed somewhat after the traditional 3-light 120-volt tester I believe we are all familiar with but is expanded to include the second 120-volt wire on the 50-50 amp RV outlet.

THE TESTER WE WILL BE BUILDING

IMG_2683.jpg

LED’s will not be used.  In their place are either green or red Neon lamps with the voltage dropping resistors in place – easier, fewer parts and more accurate.

Revised tools needed list is:

7mm high temp glue gun

Low wattage soldering iron

solder

Drill with #12 or 3/16” bit

Small side cutters

Needle nose pliers

#2 Phillips screwdriver

Pocket knife or Exacto Knife

Glasses

The tester will be built as a go or no go tester.  In other words, if all six neon lights are not illuminated it is best to find another outlet that passes.  It is not your place to open the PARK outlet box or tell the owner what is wrong.  A licensed and qualified electrician needs to do this.

While there is no voltage read-out the illumination of the neon lights is a good indicator of low or high voltage.

Proper outlet wiring with the following is tested:

Ground and neutral present and contiguous

120-volt power between E1 and Neutral

120-volt power between E2 and neutral

240-volt power across E1 to E2

If there are errors in the outlet wiring like reversed power and neutral, missing grounds or improper voltage from E1 to E2 certain lights will not illuminate.

All materials other than the Camco Plug are provided – you will need to bring a plug to complete the project.

BRING THIS PLUG - IT IS NOT PROVIDED

50%20amp%20plug.jpg

It is available on Amazon and at most all RV supply stores for $12 to $15 dollars.

I will have the above tools available but depending on how many participants we have they may have to be shared.  If you have any you can bring it will be helpful.

It is not too late to sign up. Letting me know you want to participate will be helpful to assure enough neon lamps and tools.  If you do not sign up in advance you are still welcome.  Just be sure to have your Camco or equivalent 50 amp plug so you may complete the project.

Randy   I've got the plug and will see You at the Rally.   Pat

The Old Sailor

Since we cannot attend now, I can order the plug and send it to someone and send additional $$s to have someone make one for me and mail it to me? I can also help with additional parts or something if needed to help contribute. Thanks.

I already have two plugs, so I gotcha covered.  I'll meet up with ya somewhere.......

After ECR, we'rte going to Parkers Crossroads RV between Nashville and Memphis.  We'll be there nearly a week, and exploring the Natchez Trace.  Will you be on our path?

After that, we'll head home (west side Cincinnati) for a while.

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

I already have two plugs, so I gotcha covered.  I'll meet up with ya somewhere.......

After ECR, we'rte going to Parkers Crossroads RV between Nashville and Memphis.  We'll be there nearly a week, and exploring the Natchez Trace.  Will you be on our path?

After that, we'll head home (west side Cincinnati) for a while.

Yes, we are just outside of Nashville. I'll PM you my number. Appreciate it. 

3 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

just email me.  It's in my signature.

On April 18, 2019 at 11:28 AM, lockmup68 said:

Got your tester built.  I'll be going through Nashville Monday.

What a great and easy project day. Easy build, just be sure wires don’t touch where they shouldn’t or the smoke comes out😊. Thanks so much Randy. 

On 5/1/2019 at 10:18 PM, rickeieio said:

Got your tester built.  I'll be going through Nashville Monday.

Big thanks to Rick and his wife for taking the time to stop amd meet with us. Good people right there. Sure do appreciate it. And good news, the panel I wired in on our home base property passed the test!

thanks again. 

Don't thank me, thank Randy Agee and his merry band of helpers.

It was a fun simple project, and a pleasure meeting you and your family.

On 4/13/2019 at 6:36 PM, RandyA said:

I’ve had some recent questions about the ECR Project Build of a 50 amp RV outlet tester that hopefully I can answer here.

I have made some changes in the design and materials, all implemented to make the project more useful and easier to build.  It is designed somewhat after the traditional 3-light 120-volt tester I believe we are all familiar with but is expanded to include the second 120-volt wire on the 50-50 amp RV outlet.

THE TESTER WE WILL BE BUILDING

IMG_2683.jpg

LED’s will not be used.  In their place are either green or red Neon lamps with the voltage dropping resistors in place – easier, fewer parts and more accurate.

Revised tools needed list is:

7mm high temp glue gun

Low wattage soldering iron

solder

Drill with #12 or 3/16” bit

Small side cutters

Needle nose pliers

#2 Phillips screwdriver

Pocket knife or Exacto Knife

Glasses

The tester will be built as a go or no go tester.  In other words, if all six neon lights are not illuminated it is best to find another outlet that passes.  It is not your place to open the PARK outlet box or tell the owner what is wrong.  A licensed and qualified electrician needs to do this.

While there is no voltage read-out the illumination of the neon lights is a good indicator of low or high voltage.

Proper outlet wiring with the following is tested:

Ground and neutral present and contiguous

120-volt power between E1 and Neutral

120-volt power between E2 and neutral

240-volt power across E1 to E2

If there are errors in the outlet wiring like reversed power and neutral, missing grounds or improper voltage from E1 to E2 certain lights will not illuminate.

All materials other than the Camco Plug are provided – you will need to bring a plug to complete the project.

BRING THIS PLUG - IT IS NOT PROVIDED

50%20amp%20plug.jpg

It is available on Amazon and at most all RV supply stores for $12 to $15 dollars.

I will have the above tools available but depending on how many participants we have they may have to be shared.  If you have any you can bring it will be helpful.

It is not too late to sign up. Letting me know you want to participate will be helpful to assure enough neon lamps and tools.  If you do not sign up in advance you are still welcome.  Just be sure to have your Camco or equivalent 50 amp plug so you may complete the project.

Hi Randy,

P/M sent.     Al

On 5/2/2019 at 8:22 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

What a great and easy project day. Easy build, just be sure wires don’t touch where they shouldn’t or the smoke comes out😊. Thanks so much Randy. 

Hi Carl,    P/M sent.   Al