Estes Park

Mr. Camper

Heading to Estes Park next month and saw I had two options for driving in.  One is US 34 westbound and the other is US 36 westbound.  I'm looking for the best road in with the least amount of switchbacks and climbs.  If anyone is familiar with either of these roads into EP I'd appreciate knowing which one is the easier drive into town.  Thanks in advance.  

Also, after Estes Park I'm heading to Central City, CO.  How is the road south from Estes Park?  The map shows most of the trip to be CO 7.

Others will have to help on your best road options.  Colorado has had a lot of snow and rain.  The weather has been unsettled and a lot of high country that is often open by this time of year is still covered in snow.  It snowed yesterday in Denver.  If by next month you mean the first part of next month weather could be something to watch.  Snow in the high country this time of year is common.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

1 hour ago, Mr. Camper said:

I'm looking for the best road in with the least amount of switchbacks and climbs. 

I have traveled both routes many times and with an RV I would definitely choose US34 from Loveland. It will still be steep and crooked, but there is no way to get there that isn't. If you go up from Lyons via US36 the road is more narrow and just as steep with tighter turns. Both routes are quite scenic and neither one will be a fast trip. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

after Estes Park I'm heading to Central City, CO.  How is the road south from Estes Park? 

The road is usually in pretty good condition but is very crooked and also scenic. This entire trip is one that you should just take your time and enjoy the scenery. The roads are not dangerous if you use common sense and drive reasonably. Many people travel those routes who are not experienced mountain drivers and while they may have sweaty palms on the trip, they will be rewarded by a great scenic trip to remember. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My recollection from years of living in Colorado was that there is not a lot of difference between those sections of 34 vs 36. Both gain 2000 ft elevation and both have lots of twisty turns. I recalled 34 being a bit more twisty than 36. But 36 has a bit more uphill since it goes up to 8000 ft before dropping into Estes Park.

As for 7, its at a higher elevation, 8500-9000 ft and more exposed to high winds. This winter Colorado had 3 times its usual snow fall. Right now the roadway on 7 is clear but there is still 2 ft of snow along the shoulders, and its not unusual to get a May snow storm on that route. Keep an eye on the weather forecast. Going on 36 south would be a good alternate if the weather turns bad.

Jim