Class C TX inspection wisdom request

JohnMeli

The wife and I are planning to relocate to TX in a couple weeks. We plan to buy a used class C for FT use. I am wondering how intense the TX inspection is. I wonder because I have considered buying outside TX. Is it a reasonable idea to buy outside TX, with proper checks, whatever those might be? Or would it be advisable to buy a previously/currently inspected TX RV? 

Respectfully,

John

10 hours ago, JohnMeli said:

The wife and I are planning to relocate to TX in a couple weeks. We plan to buy a used class C for FT use. I am wondering how intense the TX inspection is. I wonder because I have considered buying outside TX. Is it a reasonable idea to buy outside TX, with proper checks, whatever those might be? Or would it be advisable to buy a previously/currently inspected TX RV? 

Respectfully,

John

The Texas Vehicle Inspection procedure is dependent on where you register the vehicle.  In most counties, the inspection is very simple like Barb described.  A handful of counties require emissions testing.  I'm not sure if your Class C motorhome would be subject to the emissions tests, even if in one of those counties.

You can call the Texas DPS vehicle inspection division and ask.  (512) 424-7293

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Welcome to the Escapee forums! And also an early welcome to Texas...

30 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Also, it makes no difference where you buy it.  It'll have to be inspected anyway.

This is true. What happens in TX is that you get a very simple inspection from any of the certified inspection stations ($7 if you don't need the emissions test & Livingston doesn't) and then go to the DMV and register the vehicle. It doesn't matter where the vehicle was purchased, the process is the same. The same is true for the TX sales tax, which is 6.25% on vehicles. If you buy out of state and have not paid sales tax you will be required to pay it when you register it. If you have paid another state's sales tax, you would need to pay the difference between that and what TX has if TX is higher. 

Since I would assume that you are moving your domicile from your present home state to TX, I suggest that you read this information about what you need to do if you haven't previously done so. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Link for what chirakawa referred to regarding emissions -  gas (not diesel) emissions test requirements are based on the county where the vehicle is registered. 

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

But if one is going to fulltime, why oh why would one pick a metro area as their place of residence?   Things are just SO MUCH EASIER for any full timer when Livingston is 'home', not just inspection, but voting, DL, registration, jury duty, etc.  Government officials in Livingston/Polk Country UNDERSTAND what fulltiming means.:D

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834