YouTubeTV

Trying YouTubeTV for a week.  Nice channel line up, locals, plus video quality is pretty good.  That’s about where it ends.  Have to use a Chromecast and Android tablet to view on a TV.  Locals won’t work on an iPad.  It won’t validate location.  The user interface for channels is awful.  No guide, just a list of current live video for that timeframe.  Forget changing zip code for locals.  App won’t work and trying to change via chat....we’ll forget it.  For $40 and the power of Google, thought this application would offer a quality user experience.  Not this go round.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

I found that I can't get local channels on my iPad because my iPad does not have GPS. When I attach my Garmin GPS dongle to my iPad I can then receive local channels. I guess the network wants to be sure you are out of your home area so it isn't competing with cable services?

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

I too think GPS or the lack is an issue.  Plus, we’ve noticed channels will change on the hour on its own.  Little documentation on the use of the service.  One trick is to tap the station icon on the app to see what’s currently playing.  Still haven’t found a way to look forward in time.

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

Streaming services are subject to the same Federal laws on local channels as cable and satellite companies.  They can only offer locals for where you actually are, not where you would like to be or say you are.  So, in order to determine where you are, they must use gps or some other reliable method.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

29 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Streaming services are subject to the same Federal laws on local channels as cable and satellite companies.  They can only offer locals for where you actually are, not where you would like to be or say you are.  So, in order to determine where you are, they must use gps or some other reliable method.

I discovered that some streaming services, Hulu Plus LiveTV for one, won't allow you to view local channels unless you have a fixed internet connection (cable, fiber, DSL).  A cellular hotpot is specifically disallowed if you read the fine print.  I wonder how all of this will play out when 5G gives people the ability to have very high speed internet from a mobile device?  Even though the early roll-out of 5G is going to be to fixed locations the eventual larger use will be mobile.  I guess the rules will have to adapt, but probably not quickly.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The hotspot is working great.  Suspect the app is using the tablet GPS for location.  But get this.  Just received an email stating, “User, great news.  You know have access to these additional channels.  And by the way, your bill will now increase from $40 to $49.99.”  Didn’t ask for the channels.  I’ve had enough.  

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

Just now, jerryneal said:

The hotspot is working great.  Suspect the app is using the tablet GPS for location.  But get this.  Just received an email stating, “User, great news.  You now have access to these additional channels.  And by the way, your bill will now increase from $40 to $49.99.”  Didn’t ask for the channels.  I’ve had enough.  

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

I don't know what the CBS Now app uses to locate us, but we're currently near Asheville, NC in the Greenville, SC DMA. If I connect our Firestick to our AT&T hotspot, the CBS app gives us the Atlanta, GA CBS station, but connecting to our Verizon hotspot gives us the Wichita, KS station. Odd, but the time difference is helpful sometimes.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I’m going to cancel tonight, but thought I’d share one more oddity.  We’re currently in Pine Mountain, GA.  First 2 days we had locals from Columbus.  Next day, locals came from Atlanta and the app changed the zip code.  This morning, the app changed the zip code again and locals are coming from Nashville.  There’s a link to verify location, but it doesn’t work.  Weird huh?

Jerry and Joan

iLoveRVlife.com

We just settled down in a house after 12 years on the road and DirecTV.  I started the 5 day You Tube TV trial at $40/month using cable..  I found it difficult and frustrating to setup and functioning, difficult to use AND I get a letter stating the price is going up 25% after the free trial period.  Enough is enough, I just canceled it.      Greg 

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/