Preferred Engine: Tell me which one and why?

Storx

They don't make them like they used too.  I'll stick with my older Cat 3406b. Its all mechanical. Only thing electrical is the starter and fuel shut off. The fuel shut off can be manually bypassed. Will start and run without batteries. Give it a push or pull and let out clutch and its running. With close to a million miles no engine work. The alternator and some ac parts have been replaced. Old School Baby

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with old school engines is that they're in an old school truck, meaning creature comforts are not what they could be.

Compromises........  For a weekend unit, I'd be all over the old school, but for extended travel, little things like delay wipers, heated seats, quiet cab, all add up.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Cruise Control,

Yea there are a few clunky add on systems but that is IMHO the most problematic thing with mechanical engines.    Wipers, electric windows, heated seats can all be done.      I actually have a few old cruise servos and modules, thought about trying to set up for a B model.   

Cat engines are no longer sold for on highway use, they do have great support for old engines.     They just cost a bit.    I know a guy that just had to do some major work on a BC Cummins, parts are scarce and poor quality for older Cummins.

Biggest thing to stay away from are screamin Jimmy's  2 stroke Detroit's  are still out there in some older trucks and a lot of buses.  

Personally, I like small block Cat engines, C12 and C13, enough power for the lighter loads RV's haul, the Acert's have their issues but, overall pretty good.     Stay FAR away from the late ones with DPF.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

6 hours ago, rickeieio said:

The problem with old school engines is that they're in an old school truck, meaning creature comforts are not what they could be.

Compromises........  For a weekend unit, I'd be all over the old school, but for extended travel, little things like delay wipers, heated seats, quiet cab, all add up.

I had an school Freightliner that had intermittent wipers. Some times they worked, some times not. The joy of air powered wipers.

6 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I try to avoid the rain. My air wipers will drive you crazy. They do have electric conversions for $$$. Me and wife like our new leather with backrest seats. My Pete's 34 yrs. young and everything works. Will hold air for a week and suspension couple months. Could sell for 2x what I got into it. Don't have to worry about  falling asleep driving it though.T3Che1Gl.jpg

14 minutes ago, Moresmoke said:

I had an school Freightliner that had intermittent wipers. Some times they worked, some times not. The joy of air powered wipers.

Beats hand operated.....😮

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

rick I drove a Freightliner COE that had both ... when the air function had to rest  you reached around and gave er a few swipes by hand...

Did I mention one Monday the boss of that small outfit retired that one when he bought a repo 30,000 mi Freightliner conventional. Asked me into the office to let me know a more senior driver wanted the next to new truck. I had to “take” a KW W900 Seattle Interior complete with a heater, air cond, tuned up 400 Cummins, and ear plugs not required... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 4/10/2019 at 6:14 PM, Roadtrek 1 said:

Dave, OK, it's a fair comment.... my remarks were in relation to using a heavy duty truck to pull a 40 foot 5th wheel.... I've seen many dually diesel pickups easily do that.   Also, the remarks about me being naive and ignorant of the length of RVs in National Parks did not go unnoticed......I don't appreciate people making comments like that or misleading people thinking that a 40 foot 5th wheel with a big Mack or Peterbuilt can just pull in easily to any park....they can't....

My Kenworth is 22" longer then a Crew Cab dually. And I will bet you, It will fit anywhere that Dually and 40ft camper will fit.

But best of all, the Kenworth is in control of the camper. Not the camper in control of the pickup. And Yes I pulled ours with a crewcab pickup, then a Crewcab Kodiak C5500. And the Kenworth is better around. I get somewhere, I'm rested. Not beat to death by a pickup.

Your little Sprinter is great, but would not want to spend a few months in it. While seeing a part of the country for weeks at a time. Been there done that also. Slide-in truck camper. Loved it, but man its cramped after a couple of days.

Enjoy your camping and we will enjoy ours. Always people that know there way is better. But as we get older, room and comfort is king.

event.png

16v-149s sound great, but they’re a pain to shoehorn into a short hood truck.  Or see over, for that matter.

More realistically, I have had good luck so far with electronic engines pre-egr.  

but that means an oldish truck.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

3 hours ago, Exile said:

16v-149s sound great, but they’re a pain to shoehorn into a short hood truck.  Or see over, for that matter.

More realistically, I have had good luck so far with electronic engines pre-egr.  

but that means an oldish truck.

Whoo-Doggie.  I'd like to see the RV hauler that would fit a 16V-149.  1600 hp, 4,600 pound-feet of torque, weighing 11,000pounds....

This is just a "little" 16v92...

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

I have the Volvo D12 with 10 speed.  What I know now after driving it for 2 years;  I wish for a D13 or larger and a few more gears, maybe even the I-Shift if the price were right.  I still like what I have and it rocks pretty well in the mountains, if at sea level it would be fine.

Keep asking questions and take many for a test drive; sometimes not so easy.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

23 minutes ago, Cotreker said:

I have the Volvo D12 with 10 speed.  What I know now after driving it for 2 years;  I wish for a D13 or larger and a few more gears, maybe even the I-Shift if the price were right.  I still like what I have and it rocks pretty well in the mountains, if at sea level it would be fine.

Keep asking questions and take many for a test drive; sometimes not so easy.

Howdy Cotreker,

Having gone from the Freigthliner with a 12.7 Detroit and a 10 speed auto shift, to the Pete with a C-15 Cat and an 18 speed auto shift, even thou my Pete gets a mile less per gallon I would NEVER go back to the smaller engine and 10 speed transmission.  I live in the west, crossing mountain ranges is what I have to do every time I go someplace or come back home, an old motor head saying states it succinctly, "There is no replacement for displacement."   To that I would add, if 10 gears is good, MORE is better.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
cuz i canit sqpel

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

OK, I agree w/ almost all on this thread. But if you're going to discuss trucks with people who KNOW trucks, don't call the dang thing "cummin G s", or a "Peterb U ilt". Shows your ignorance or you can't read a nameplate.

I feel much better now..................................

Edited by ARGO

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

18 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Whoo-Doggie.  I'd like to see the RV hauler that would fit a 16V-149.  1600 hp, 4,600 pound-feet of torque, weighing 11,000pounds....

This is just a "little" 16v92...

Looks like the frame and hood have an extra foot in them.

long hoods were originally for the 12-71 and other longer engines, but I don’t think it’s possible to fit 16 cylinders under one without some mods.

850-960 hp@ 2100 rpm with TA, and 4840 lbs. wouldn’t get that much without a huge aftercooler, but still, would be capable of a lot of black smoke, and go fast from fuel island to fuel island. 

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

12 hours ago, ARGO said:

OK, I agree w/ almost all on this thread. But if you're going to discuss trucks with people who KNOW trucks, don't call the dang thing "cummin G s", or a "Peterb U ilt". Shows your ignorance or you can't read a nameplate.

I feel much better now..................................

Is... "Freightshaker"... acceptable??

Ignorance is blizz.

~

On 4/15/2019 at 9:17 AM, Pete Kildow said:

Your little Sprinter is great, but would not want to spend a few months in it. While seeing a part of the country for weeks at a time. Been there done that also. Slide-in truck camper. Loved it, but man its cramped after a couple of days.

Thanks. We tour in this vehicle, we certainly don't live in it.   

It's a very comfortable "mini motorhome"... with all the amenities of a larger rig, including an outside shower, complete wet bath toilet and shower, kitchen, king sized bed/convertible sofa, all cherry wood overhead cabinets, and 18 plus  MPG. And extremely easy to drive and park just about anywhere. 

I would never consider living full time in my rig, but, I've heard that some people do. We've easily spent a week or 10 days in it. 

54 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

🤔

I would never consider living full time in my rig, but, I've heard that some people do. We've easily spent a week or 10 days in it. 

Well there ya go, Roadtrek1 - you have your next question for another thread in the General RV Information Forum !!

"How many of you are full timers??

Then you can start another thread...."How many of you are part timers?"

BTW - at one time or another......some of us have spent a week or ten days in a tent.

Of course that leads to yet another thread....."How many of you camped in tents before you had an RV?"

😁..😁..

13 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Thanks. We tour in this vehicle, we certainly don't live in it.   

It's a very comfortable "mini motorhome"... with all the amenities of a larger rig, including an outside shower, complete wet bath toilet and shower, kitchen, king sized bed/convertible sofa, all cherry wood overhead cabinets, and 18 plus  MPG. And extremely easy to drive and park just about anywhere. 

And therein lies the difference. You are driving a minivan to go grocery shopping and I am bringing my second home with me.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

On 4/19/2019 at 8:41 AM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

And therein lies the difference. You are driving a minivan to go grocery shopping and I am bringing my second home with me

Minivan?  LOL.  I guess everything is relative.  I wouldn't exactly call my RV a "minivan". With the bicycle rack it's almost 26 feet long,  9 plus feet tall and 80 inches wide.., but OK, whatever. 

The only time we're shopping with the Sprinter is when we're on a trip, if that's what you're referring to.....  I guess compared to the "cruise ship" you're driving it's a "minivan"..   At least we're getting 18 to 19 MPG....

When we're done traveling, we can come home to a private residence, own backyard, no extraneous smoking campground... very quiet environment....dual pane windows, central air conditioning....and equity.....

Sounds like from your profile that you're a full timer.   I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just definitely not for us.  Vive la difference.

11 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Minivan?  LOL.  I guess everything is relative.  I wouldn't exactly call my RV a "minivan". With the bicycle rack it's almost 26 feet long,  9 plus feet tall and 80 inches wide.., but OK, whatever. 

The only time we're shopping with the Sprinter is when we're on a trip, if that's what you're referring to.....  I guess compared to the "cruise ship" you're driving it's a "minivan"..   At least we're getting 18 to 19 MPG....

When we're done traveling, we can come home to a private residence, own backyard, no extraneous smoking campground... very quiet environment....dual pane windows, central air conditioning....and equity.....

Sounds like from your profile that you're a full timer.   I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just definitely not for us.  Vive la difference.

Howdy Roadtrek1,

I politely hinted in my first reply to your posts in this thread that perhaps you were posting YOUR observations in the WRONG thread, WRONG sub forum, apparently this went over your head.  So I'll put it bluntly, I would wager that 99.9% of the people in THIS thread and THIS sub forum could care less what YOUR opinion of what OUR choice of RV is. 

I don't hang out in the van dweller forums, I seriously doubt any other regular participant in the HDT forum does either, and if we did I again would wager that we wouldn't castigate the van dwellers for their choice of RV.  Some folks have to get hit and run over with a Mack truck before they get the point or so it would seem.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

24 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Some folks have to get hit and run over with a Mack truck before they get the point or so it would seem.

Dave

Roadtrek has done this in the other sub-forums as well, so don't feel singled out!!  My favorite is his thread asking why people fulltime, in which he almost immediately began explaining why it was such a bad idea and why he doesn't do it.  His other favorite subject is what a terrible "investment" RVs are compared to his beloved sticks-and-bricks property.  He hints at it a bit with the "... and equity..." statement in his post above, and I'm frankly surprised he didn't go whole hog with it.  Starting to show a bit of restraint!!

I really don't understand what he is looking for on these forums, other than a soapbox to let others know about his specific life choices. Odd behavior indeed...

Edited by mptjelgin

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 minute ago, mptjelgin said:

Roadtrek has done this in the other sub-forums as well, so don't feel singled out!!  My favorite is his thread asking why people fulltime, in which he almost immediately began explaining why it was such a bad idea and why he doesn't do it.  His other favorite subject is what a terrible "investment" RVs are compared to his beloved sticks-and-bricks property.  He hints at it a bit with the "... and equity..." statement in his post above, and I'm frankly surprised he didn't go whole hog with it.  Starting the show a bit of restraint!!

I really don't understand what he is looking for on these forums, other than a soapbox to let others know about his specific life choices. Odd behavior indeed...

Howdy Mark,

I am all for freedom of choice, it would be a pretty darn boring world if we were all the same or liked the same stuff, but their is a big difference between discussing ones choice and brow beating others because of their choice. 

Perhaps this guy just needs attention and we fill that need by responding to him or he's on a mission to save the planet 18mpg at a time, or could be he's just a pest, to bad they don't sell cyber bug spray.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Easy, Dave, easy. Just what happens on an open forum. I think some of the ideas from the vans are brilliant, but I've grown out of that phase. Even used to use a Ram Maxi van for ski getaways. Out grew skiing, too. Shrug. Life moves on. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Just now, Darryl&Rita said:

Easy, Dave, easy. Just what happens on an open forum. I think some of the ideas from the vans are brilliant, but I've grown out of that phase. Even used to use a Ram Maxi van for ski getaways. Out grew skiing, too. Shrug. Life moves on. 

Howdy Darryl,

I know, some times the "Cob" ( Crabby old bastard ) side of my personality slips its chain and runs amuck, I try my best to rein it in but sometimes it manages to get loose.  It's not raining today maybe I'll go shine some chrome on the Pete, to get my mind right.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

If MPG is a determining factor then RVing is probably not the hobby for you. Besides I thought the question was what engine and why. I have a 12 liter Volvo engine. That is what came in the truck when I bought it. Not bothered by the 8 MPG. Beside that is only when towing. The smart gets 40.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.