Fire Extinguishers

dewilso

I have a few of the 16oz extinguishers from Mac, his demonstrations were impressive. I’m looking for a larger unit with a similar media, I believe he sold a 2.5# model, but I really don’t know what I’m looking for. Suggestions Please.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

FYI - I believe "Mac The Fire Guy" is no longer in business.

Research the type (and size) of extinguisher you want. Many brands available. Google is your friend!

IMO - for use in the *interior* of an RV - a C02, while a bit expensive, is the best choice.  NO mess or residue.

Of course - the most important criteria is to be alerted to a fire (smoke detectors along with propane & carbon monoxide detectors) - and plan for a quick exit - call 911 (if there is a fire dept available) - THEN work on extinguishing the fire with whatever means are at hand.

Outside - a one or two and a half gallon pressurized "water can" with AFFF (as sold by Mac) would be a good choice. You can service it (re-charge it) yourself.  Again, the foam concentrate can be purchased from various suppliers.

A 10 lb ABC rated dry chem works well - (available at many big box retailers) - however, it will leave a mess to clean up!

~

5 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

10 lb ABC rated dry chem works well - (available at many big box retailers) - however, it will leave a mess to clean up!

That mess is why Mac the Fire Guy did NOT recommend an ABC for inside your RV even though that's what most new RVs come with..

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I know that Mac has retired. I will never use a dry powder extinguisher, unless it MIGHT save a life. Besides the mess that the powder leaves, it also promotes corrosion where ever it may have penetrated, better to let it burn then let the insurance company hand you a check, and they handle the remains. JMOO

Now back to the question, does anyone here know what the media is in Macs little extinguishers? 

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

3 hours ago, dewilso said:

ow back to the question, does anyone here know what the media is in Macs little extinguishers? 

Ours says it is for A and B fires. Do not use on electrical fires.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 4/9/2019 at 10:33 AM, dewilso said:

I know that Mac has retired. I will never use a dry powder extinguisher, unless it MIGHT save a life. Besides the mess that the powder leaves, it also promotes corrosion where ever it may have penetrated, better to let it burn then let the insurance company hand you a check, and they handle the remains. JMOO

Now back to the question, does anyone here know what the media is in Macs little extinguishers? 

IMO - "Suspect"  the small extinguishers Mac sold were of a combination foam type.

Go to Amazon and enter in "search": " Mini Firefighter MFF01", also "The Fireman".

Be sure to read the questions regarding these extinguishers which are rated ABCK

Note:  Extinguishers are normally UL rated A = ordinary combustibles - wood, paper.  B = Flammable liquids.  C = Electrical.  D = combustible metals (ex: Magnesium).  "K" is a new one on me - they claim it's for grease, fats, etc.

Apparently "Mini Firefighter" does not have a complete UL rating, and is NOT acceptable (at this time) by the USCG.  "The Fireman" clams to have a complete UL rating.

However, "dewilso", *IF* you want a serious extinguisher -and are willing to *pay* for it- look into Halotron (substitute for Halon extinguishers).  Some variants of Halon are still acceptable for aircraft interiors.  Halotron seems to be the best alternate to those.  Can be used on all types of fires - NO mess and easy cleanup - but expensive!  (Can also be found on Amazon)

The less expensive -but not cheap-  (portable extinguisher, NO mess alternate) is still C02. Normally a C02 extinguisher will not have an "A" rating (ordinary combustibles) - but it WILL extinguish same.  Of course, they are re-chargable.

"Sandysis" - SMALL dry chem (dry powder) extinguishers are found in new RVs, as they are a cheap substitute for something better  (bean counters win!) - and are usually about a 2# with a BC rating - as well as the first thing I remove! The ABC extinguishers (found in the big box stores) are 10# ABC - and get the "A" rating due to the quantity of agent ("media" for "Dewilso").  And yes - the 2 BC  just make a smaller mess than a 10# ABC.

Stop by your local fire station.  Firefighters are happy to offer advice - and are usually cognizant of new products, etc.

BTW - I also prefer a "no mess" extinguisher for an interior fire at my S&B or inside my RV - including engine fires..  The dry chem is for everything else -"other" real emergencies, etc.  

Also, putting wet stuff (water) on the red stuff (fire) is still a GREAT "media" - or - "agent"..... if available!..😎

~

6 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

MO - "Suspect"  the small extinguishers Mac sold were of a combination foam typ

Didn't Mac sell the line FireFight Products found here? If so, they can also be found on Amazon. Someone must be around who bought from Mac that can tell us for sure.

EDIT;   I just found this link to what sounds like a similar product. The Firefighter

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

32 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Didn't Mac sell the line FireFight Products found here? If so, they can also be found on Amazon. Someone must be around who bought from Mac that can tell us for sure.

EDIT;   I just found this link to what sounds like a similar product. The Firefighter

Yes he sold the Firefight products, and some others too.  His small extinguishers were a foam agent. Not sure the exact makeup of it....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

15 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

IAlso, putting wet stuff (water) on the red stuff (fire) is still a GREAT "media" - or - "agent"..... if available!..😎

Unless it is a grease fire. Water spreads a grease fire. The best "media" for a grease fire is putting a lid on the pan.

best for the rv, truck/car, home is haylon,   it is a gas out of the can (liquid inside the ex). so the fire pulls it to it, it works two ways, cold, and displaces the oxygen in the area. little to no clean up. just like the very heavy and awkward co2 units at one tenth the weight.

all dry chem is just a finer and very very dry baking soda, (or is that powder?).   just like what you keep in the reefer to cut odors.

forget the mini's, leave the 2 pounders at the store, buy only 5 pounders, they are All fire rated. (A,B,C.). got a garage back home, get the 15 pounders for there, (most likely you have lots of flammable chem's in there).

i have a small one car garage, with one 15 pounder (dry chem, 15 pounds of haylon is out of my price range),  two 2-1/2 pound dry chem.

then in the house, three 5 pounders. with a 2-1/2 pounder in the kitchen. (yes haylon) each of my trucks both have 5 pound haylon, the jeep due to space has two 2-1/2 pounders one is haylon.

On 4/15/2019 at 5:08 AM, Kirk W said:

ad for the "firefighter".

i would never trust my life to that 30 second can of foam. sure pile it on while the fire burns away under it on another air source.

as to the semi fake ad posting. first your fire ex is bright red, (on boats they paint them white, why?)  and mounted out in the open (at least that's were it should be) where it is easily seen by all (where would you keep that can of foam?).  and if you never get it serviced that's your fault, not the fire ex. do you ever get your oil changed in the car, truck, rv, etc.

On 4/15/2019 at 2:17 PM, sandsys said:

Unless it is a grease fire. Water spreads a grease fire. The best "media" for a grease fire is putting a lid on the pan.

Yikes! - and Gee Whiz! - I sure hope that's common sense/knowledge!

Along with baking soda.......but *not* baking powder.

BTW - "The Firefighter" and the several other "aerosol can" style extinguishers - (IMO) if it doesn't have a gauge - it's a roll of the dice whether charged or not.

Wonder how many (of you) remember when you were kids and mom or pop had a "pump type" Carbon Tet extinguisher?

It would knock out your grease fire - and the fumes would do the same to you!  Nice spot remover though.

Also, "back when", the  Military loved the large wheeled Chloro-bromo-methane extinguishers for AC Fires.  Use one of those and you would wish you hadn't.

😀

I won't get into this discussion on types. But I suggest if you are replacing yours due to age/whatever, find a safe allowed spot & try the old one  on a small controlled fire. You/spouse get the real life practice and may be surprised at how little they really do.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

The dry chem crystals pack down thru vibration.  Doesn't matter if the unit is stored vertically or horizontally.  On the SAR boats at the weekly crew change we would remove from the holder and tip upside down and then right it several times until we could hear or feel the dry chem slide from one end to the other..  If idry chem was packed too tite, we would use a rubber mallet on the bottom when upside down to get the hard packed material to release.  This is not a metal framing hammer.

Also made sure the pin was in, no white discharge from nozzle and the gauge was in the green.

Getting a local FD to put on a demo using flash pans also having RVers taught proper useage would be a good topic at any rally.

It could save a life.

10 minutes ago, rdickinson said:

Getting a local FD to put on a demo using flash pans also having RVers taught proper useage would be a good topic at any rally.

That has been a practice at RV Boot Camp for some time, but might be a good subject for a future Escapade as well.

After Randy A's near miss experience, I should think so.  Also getting out of the front bunk area by pushing out a window and trying to fit our older non bending bodies thru would not be easy.  Most are larger than we were in our 20's.

Also it is unnerving climbing out backwards and not having something to solidly plant out feet on.  In the dark, during a fire, when your scared out of your wits.

Used properly a smaller fire extinguisher can do a job.

We only used Halon (in that era) Halon bombs yrs ago and CO2 in an area where the gas could be confined, like a boat engine room.  Other than that it would dissipate too quickly.

Add to your topic list proper pre and post trip checks.  Look how many problems people find or experience that a pre trip would identify at the symptom stage.

But hey...deleted.

On 4/9/2019 at 2:22 AM, sandsys said:

That mess is why Mac the Fire Guy did NOT recommend an ABC for inside your RV even though that's what most new RVs come with..

Linda

The dry chemical units WILL destroy electronics, even if they are not near a fire the fine dust will corrode the PC boards and contacts. I have 3 from Mac, and one dry chem, to satisfy anyone who should ask if I have the proper fire equipment required by law. A fire extinguisher by the door; how practical is that_.

These small extinguishers are NOT meant for putting out a fire, they are meant to suppress a fire enough for you to escape. Human life is the only thing that cannot be replaced with enough money.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

7 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Human life is the only thing that cannot be replaced with enough money.

That should be the primary, if not the only reason for any type of fire extinguisher in most of our RVs. Years ago I was a volunteer firefighter and one thing that it taught me was getting everyone safe is the only important thing with most fires. 

12 hours ago, Kirk W said:

That should be the primary, if not the only reason for any type of fire extinguisher in most of our RVs. Years ago I was a volunteer firefighter and one thing that it taught me was getting everyone safe is the only important thing with most fires. 

True. But having a bug out bag near your closest exit is also a good thing. I may be wrong but I think you generally have time to grab it on your way out the door or to throw it out the bedroom window. RVs do burn rather fast, though, so leave the bag if that's what you need to do to get people out.

Linda

Archived