Off Road RVing?

Kirk W

In the February issue of Trailer Life, there is a review of new trailer models for this year. There were 3 trailers in particular that caught my interest because they are engineered for really getting out into the boondocks, where 4WD and high ground clearance is needed. The 3 travel trailers were:

Taxa Outdoors         Black Series       Opus Off-Road

These RVs very much reminded me of our visit to Australia, where the most common choice of RV seems to be of the type represented by these. They are particularly interesting to me as I raised our 1974 Starcraft popup with modified suspension and larger wheels & tires to improve the clearance because we towed it behind a 4WD and mostly spent time in NF campgrounds or open camping in national forests. I used to wish something of the type had been available. I was wondering if anyone here has seen any of these on the road, or better yet if you know someone who owns one?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

:D  They need better advertising for 'off'-road'.  We took our 40' motorhome on roads rougher than the pictures shown.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Guess you missed the Black series video. You willing to video your 40 footer taking this trail the pop-up takes here? :o;)

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

53 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Guess you missed the Black series video. You willing to video your 40 footer taking this trail the pop-up takes here? :o;)

Now that's more like it!!  :blink:

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

In Australia, it is very common for 4WD tow vehicles to also have a snorkel air intake to allow them to ford streams that are deep. Of course, Australia also has far more area where roads are few and far between and seldom if ever maintained and they also have far fewer RV parks and developed campgrounds. RVing is very different there from what we experience. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived