changing full time address

VickiWright

Hi,

My husband and I have been full timers for 15 years. We have been legal residents of South Dakota for all of that time and have been totally satisfied with our mail forwarding company there. However we find it increasingly difficult to go there to renew our driver's licenses in person and feel it would be much more convenient to have a TX address. However the task of changing everything over is rather daunting. How difficult is it to get everything done that needs to be done to change our domicile from SD to TX? We've known about the Escapees ever since we started this journey and wonder how current Escapees feel about the service.

Vicki

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changing domicile is fairly easy but changing address is not. It is my understanding you cannot file a change of address from from a mailing service so you need to make a list of everyone who sends you mail in SD and send a change of address notice to each and every one of them. It is doable but it is not easy.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We were told the same as Linda. Probably the best way to do it is to set up the new address and have your mail sent there. Each time a packet arrives, contact those you really want to hear from and let them know your new address. It won't take too long for the address changes to take effect.

While you are doing that you can get your vehicles inspected, registered, and new drivers licenses.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

2 hours ago, kb0zke said:

We were told the same as Linda. Probably the best way to do it is to set up the new address and have your mail sent there. Each time a packet arrives, contact those you really want to hear from and let them know your new address. It won't take too long for the address changes to take effect.

Be aware that some mail only comes once a year and that magazines take more lead time to process address changes.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Figure a half day in Livingston to get you DL and everything inspected and registered.

Get you Escapees mailbox now and start changing addresses. Make sure you keep your old address long enough to make sure nothing random of a critical nature comes through. I would keep the old address through  next Feb/Mar to cover a tax season.

With respect to changing addresses for full-timers, a number of us had to do it on a moment's notice last summer when MyDakotaAddress suddenly went out of business.  It wasn't really all that difficult.  As soon as I had my new address information I went online with all of the entities we do business with one-at-a-time and changed our address.  It might have taken me a couple of hours and there were those that I didn't remember to do the first time through, but in no case did I have to rely on waiting for pieces of mail to show up.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Your family & friends can be notified via email or text.  Create a group email and you'll only have to type the address one time & it will go out to everyone.

Surely you have a list of your bills and it probably is not long if RVing. Contact them and do an address change.

Magazines - if you subscribe it's probably for very few. Google them for address change or get an old copy and in the front would be contact information.

It really shouldn't take long at all.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

5 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Your family & friends can be notified via email or text.  Create a group email and you'll only have to type the address one time & it will go out to everyone.

Surely you have a list of your bills and it probably is not long if RVing. Contact them and do an address change.

Magazines - if you subscribe it's probably for very few. Google them for address change or get an old copy and in the front would be contact information.

It really shouldn't take long at all.

Nowhere on your list do I see health insurance companies, medical providers, tax entities, banks, car dealers who might need to send you recall notices, etc. It's those odd things that get challenging. Your categories are the easy ones.

Linda

All you mentioned are in our list of creditors/financial info. Easily found.  I guess recalls might be a problem but we've never received one. :)

Full-timed for 16 Years

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

All you mentioned are in our list of creditors/financial info. Easily found.  I guess recalls might be a problem but we've never received one. :)

You should be able to get email alerts for those.  Just go to the manufactures website and connect your vin with your email.  

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

2 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I guess recalls might be a problem but we've never received one. :)

Maybe because they don't know how to reach you? We've received one on a motorhome (fridge liable to start on fire) and two on our car (air bags full of shrapnel). I would not have liked to miss any of those.

Linda

2 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I guess recalls might be a problem but we've never received one. :)

Your family & friends can be notified via email or text.

I think automotive recalls are sent to registered owner of vehicles directly from their manufacturers, not from the auto dealerships.  The address used is the one you received your license plates at.

I doubt that many of our family or friends even have our "mail service" address.  There's no particular reason to need it; if they send us anything it probably won't go there.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

5 hours ago, docj said:

I doubt that many of our family or friends even have our "mail service" address.  There's no particular reason to need it; if they send us anything it probably won't go there.

I'm confused. Why wouldn't friends and family mail go to your mail service?

Linda

7 hours ago, sandsys said:

Maybe because they don't know how to reach you? We've received one on a motorhome (fridge liable to start on fire) and two on our car (air bags full of shrapnel). I would not have liked to miss any of those.

Linda

I meant we never bought anything that was recalled.:rolleyes:

Full-timed for 16 Years

On 4/6/2019 at 6:09 PM, sandsys said:

Changing domicile is fairly easy but changing address is not. It is my understanding you cannot file a change of address from from a mailing service so you need to make a list of everyone who sends you mail in SD and send a change of address notice to each and every one of them. It is doable but it is not easy.

Linda

What happens if you stop your mail forwarding service?  Does all the mail get Return To Sender?  How does the USPS ever know that you are no longer at the mail forwarding service?

8 hours ago, sandsys said:

I'm confused. Why wouldn't friends and family mail go to your mail service?

Who actually sends physical pieces of mail between friends and family these days?  We sure don't.  My wife's 85-year old sister is the only person who ever sends us a holiday greeting card on occasion.  We've long ago stopped exchanging actual Christmas cards with anyone.  

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 hour ago, Jim1521 said:

What happens if you stop your mail forwarding service?  Does all the mail get Return To Sender?  How does the USPS ever know that you are no longer at the mail forwarding service?

Yes, that is exactly what usually happens.  In the case of MyDakotaAddress going out of business an exception was made and the USPS did provide forwarding service.  However, from a conversation I had recently with someone wanting to mail me a tax form, I was told that the address no longer shows on whatever mailing system they were using as a valid address.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

2 hours ago, Jim1521 said:

You go through the same process as you would when moving of notifying everyone that you get mail from of your new address. But you can't use the USPS forwarding order because the other people who use that service won't want their mail sent to you. The better mail service companies will help you by forwarding things to your new address for some period of time.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI